The NEXT Melbourne cruise
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... Last
    pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

The NEXT Melbourne cruise

We have to start sometime, and I'm keen for another drive!

Someone mentioned the Kinglake area for a cruise, so I've come up with the beginnings of a route:

Start in Warrandyte, take Kangaroo Ground-Warrandyte Road then Eltham-Yarra Glen Road to Yarra Glen possibly with a stop at Sugarloaf Reservoir. Old Healesville Road to Healesville. Myers Creek Road to Toolangi and on to Kinglake then Kinglake West. Then possibly to Yea via Flowerdale and Break O'day. If this is far enough, back toward Melbourne via Glenburn or Whittlesea or whatever. Open to suggestions. The roads on this route are not so windy and challenging as on the previous drive, but still some very nice roads with nice scenery.

Ideas and feedback?

I plan to go to the Winton Historic races on the Saturday a bit later this year, not sure when it is... maybe a drive could be worked in with that. Would need to be less emphasis on the drive, more on seeing the event.

Responses please!!

Advertisement

John
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Administrator
    Sounds pretty good john, a bit more of a central starting point than last time. Would lunch at Eildon be out of the question (to long perhaps)???

Most of the roads out that way are more sweeping bends, although there are some nice sections of intermediate radius corners.

There is a huge barbecue area,(free barbeques) on the bank of the pondage area, there would be plenty of parking, and a great view while snags are a cookin. cheers!

Well done John,

Good to get the ball rolling again.

Cheers,

Justin

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

1000+ Posts
    peujohn:

Responses please!!
    Sounds good to me dance
    Never heard of any of those places other than Healsville though!

I don't think I'm up to another commute any time too soon.

Derek.

Derek,

Interested in the next Perth cruise?

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

1000+ Posts
    Don't ask.

One of my mates said to me last night 'Derek if there was a french car drive in Perth would you go to it?'

I had to laugh.

It's 3924km from my place to Perth CBD, or 41 hrs and 53 minutes driving time according to <a href="http://www.travelmate.com.au" target="_blank">www.travelmate.com.au</a>

That makes for 4 days driving time. I'm not that mad! Imagine spending 8 days driving for a 1 day cruise!! You'd want to make a month-long holiday of it.

Why did you ask Justin? Are you interested are you? :p

Derek.

Just seeing if you wanted to move onto bigger & better things It's like when people climb mountains, they need to go for a bigger one each time.

I can always find you a frog cruise in PER, even if Aussiefrogs doesn't organise one

There's always Darwin I guess. Actually, on that note, do we have any NT members here?

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Some nice roads there, sounds like a good balance between some twisties and some relaxed cruising. Does anyone know of any other interesting roads?

I think the BBQ idea is great, we could all bring along our own snags, bread, etc and cook 'em up. head_ban

Richard
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

rek
    Have Pug, will drive. How far, roughly, kilometre-wise, is it from Melbourne to Eildon?

I'm a big fan of the BBQ idea! Just have to check and make sure the public BBQs haven't been vandalised before the drive day dead
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

You might find this site useful - I do.

<a href="http://www.nowwhereroute.com/Scripts/hsrun.exe/RACQ/RACQ/MapXtreme.htx;start=HS_searchpage" target="_blank">http://www.nowwhereroute.com/Scripts/hsrun.exe/RACQ/RACQ/MapXtreme.htx;start=HS_searchpage</a>

It'd be about 121km for you

There is one quick twisty road near Eildon - the problem is that it's over too quickly

I have to say I'm impressed with the enthusiasm shown with these drives - normally there's this "hangover" period after each drive. It's good to see people putting the initiative to get things going again!

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Pug307:

There's always Darwin I guess.
    Heh heh heh.... top speed runs!

I'm really looking forward to the next cruise (Third time lucky with the Citroens, yeah? ), and extremely disappointed that I couldn't make it to the last one and AFCD.
    The 405 is back. Needed a new computer as some moisture had gotten into the old unit and corroded the living daylights out of it.

A BBQ sounds good, weather permitting, and Eildon is a lovely site for one.
    1987 Peugeot 205 GTI S1
    1996 Jaguar XJR X300
    1991 Honda VT250 Spada
    1992 Peugeot 405 S (R.I.P. 31/07/2005)

Administrator
    Here is an Eildon route for people to ponder.

Meet at the Phillip Institute of Technology Clements Rd Carpark (off Plenty road, Bundoora) this is about 800m north of the Plenty Road Ring Road Exit.

Head North down Plenty Road towards whittlesea (this is mainly a cruisy piece of road, which should sort out some sort of order in relation to pace)

Turn right at Whittlsea, through Kinglake West, Hazeldene, Flowerdale, Break'o'day. This is mainly 100kph limit road with medium sweeping bends on well made road.

At Yea, turn east onto the Goulburn Valley Highway through Molesworth, Alexandra and onto Eildon. This stretch is mainly more open with sections of sweeping corners and bends between straight stretches of wide well made roads.

Once at Eildon, there is a HUGE free public BBQ area, with an enclosed eating area (with seating for about 50 people) if the weather happens to turn bad. The BBQ area is located on a small pondage area (not the main Eildon Dam) and is a great spot that doesn't seem to be all that busy. The area is great for photos and those that haven't been to eildon can have a look around after lunch.

The return trip could be back down the Goulburn Valley Highway, left at Thornton, through to Taggerty, onto the maroonhdah highway, through the Black Spur to Healsville (those that live in the north/western suburbs may wish to return by the original route.

rek
    To visualise mistareno's route:

Total Distance: 227km

<a href="http://reksjunk.homestead.com/files/aussiefrogs/proposed-eildon-route.gif" target="_blank">Animated GIF of Route (145kb)</a>

Outbound Route in Blue (Bundoora-Eildon, 149km)
    ~25km Bundoora-Whittlesea
    56km Whittlesea-Yea
    58km Yea-Eildon

Inbound Route in Green (Eildon-Healsville, 78km)
    26km Eildon-Taggerty
    52km Taggerty-Healsville

As you can see from the map, those wanting a more interesting way home than Maroondah Hwy/Eastern Fwy could go via Yarra Glen and then to either Eltham --> Ringwood (eastern suburbs residents), or Greensborough --> Ring Road (northern/western suburbs residents.)
    Peter

Thanks for that.

I want to see what this Myers Creek Rd is all about though

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

How about combining both John's and mistareno's routes? Start at Warrandyte, head to Healesville, Toolangi, Kinglake, then through Flowerdale to Eildon for lunch. Depends on how much driving people want to do though.

Richard
    - Richard

- 2.0L manual
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

I'm up for this. BBQ sounds like a great idea. We could bring our own salads etc to swap with others.

This time I think I'll fill up an extra drum of petrol so that I don't have to fill up on the weekend after the cruise at ridiculous petrol prices.
    1995 306 XR

Tadpole
    I don't think it's in mistareno's route, but I've done the St. Andrews to Kinglake road which cuts through Kinglake Nat. Park, and you can't get much more of a windy than that one. dance

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar
    That road sure is windy, but I don't really like it... it's lumpy, narrow and has no room for error. Not much fun IMO.

John
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

nJm
    I don't know the road, but I'm not too sure if I like the idea of a really narrow windy road with lumps in it. If we did it I'd take it quite slowly. We don't want a repeat of last time.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Administrator
    REK,
    That looks great, the only suggestion I have had since doing that route is to go via Strath Creek rather than Break'o'day (apparently the road is better quality)

peujohn:
    That road sure is windy, but I don't really like it... it's lumpy, narrow and has no room for error. Not much fun IMO.
    Not to mention the steep cliff along most of the road (which has virtually no shoulders) and the scattered car wrecks that you can see tangled in the trees below... eek!

My mum and dad nearly freaked out when we took this road up to Kinglake years ago, he's never used it since...

Richard
    - Richard

- 2.0L manual
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

1000+ Posts
    Lets get this rolling people. What date????
    Tim

2013 BMW 320i Touring M-Sport xDrive (Estoril Blue)

nJm
    This weekend?
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

rek
    Nick, I think you forget that about 20 of our European friends have organised a cruise of their own around Albert Park this weekend... wink
    Peter

nJm
    Oh yes, how silly of me blush
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... Last

Thread Information