Melb Drive - reflections
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Melb Drive - reflections

Was a good turnout of over 20 cars, one Alpine and the rest were pugs, i think there were:
    3 x 205
    6 x 206
    3 x 306
    1 x 307
    2 x 405
    1 x 504
    4 x 505

Had ALOT of fun and a few hiccups.
    Left after the lunch and may not have said goodbye to a few of you, so i'll say it now, goodbye

A few things that i remember without thinking too much about it:

The rav with the speed camera
    The 405 and 505 kissing the embankment
    Sideways action wherever i looked approve
    My smoking rear brakes eek!
    My severe lack of power

Thanks to everyone that turned up and made it a great day, a special thanks to Justin (edit spelling, sorry) and whoever else was involved with organising it.

Advertisement

Hope you all made it home safely.

Well done to Derek who made it all the way down from NSW for the cruise, hope you liked it.

PS did somebody say it was a performance car only cruise?
    why else wasn't there a cit there? roll_lau

<small>[ 22 February 2003, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: Andreas ]</small>

Just got home and I'm happy with the way it went. The first cruise I've planned. More to come some time later, but for the time being, I think we have 3 Aussiefrogs records.

1. Longest distance driven for a cruise - DeKa

2. Longest ever Aussiefrogs thread - Melbourne Cruise Poll (178 posts)

3. Largest ever participation for a cruise - 21 cars.

The census is.

3x Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 8V
    1x Peugeot 206 XT 1.6 16V
    5x Peugeot 206 GTi 2.0 16V
    1x Peugeot 306 GTi-6 2.0 16V
    2x Peugeot 306 XR 1.8 8V
    1x Peugeot 307 XS 1.6 16V
    2x Peugeot 405 Mi16 1.9/2.0 16V
    1x Peugeot 504 GL 2.0 8V
    2x Peugeot 505 GTi Executive 2.2 8V
    1x Peugeot 505 GR 2.0 8V
    1x Peugeot 505 Estate
    1x Renault Alpine A110
    12x bloody Michelin Certises

Total = 21 Cars

The weather was good, not too hot, not too cold, plenty of fog & clouds up in the mountains just to add atmosphere, a little mist, a bit of sun in the places where it mattered. A little moisture to add to the challenge & atmosphere, but most of our roads were dry.

Thank you to all who participated, and to those who have helped me. Special mention to DeKa for helping with the PDF, and Bernie for route advice and testing.

I think I chose a good route, and I hope you all enjoyed it. I certainly did.

The stories are ready to begin...

Cheers,

Justin

BTW: mistareno - where were you? We waited 40 minutes for you!

[edited to add model details]

<small>[ 23 February 2003, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: Pug307 ]</small>

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

I'd also like to thank Nick for the initiative to start the ball rolling for the first Melbourne Cruise for 2003.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

nJm
    Thanks for all the effort Justin!

Can't wait to see photos!!!

(who took a digital camera?)
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Thanks for organising such a great cruise! Even though we had to leave early it was fun til then.

The wet weather made for some interesting driving with a lot of 'tail happy' cars which was fun to watch sliding around Tried to get some of this on film, but inside the car the camera just can't capture what the 'pants in seat' can.

Can't wait for the pics, I only had a camcorder so couldn't get any.

P.S. Bloody magnas and certis suk
    1995 306 XR

Yeah, thanks to all involved for a great day!

It was great seeing everyone again, meeting new people and seeing some great cars **drooling thinking about Alpine...**
    dance

Justin, how long did you guys stop at Loch for? When Peujohn and I finally arrived (after stopping and looking at the map several times...) it seemed everyone had already left! Never mind, I'll say thanks and bye to everyone now... "Thanks for the trip guys, see you all next time!"

cheers!
    Richard
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

rek
    Yep, that was great! Thanks Justin, Nick, and all for organising it

A lot of twitchy cars, especially going through the spur, 'twas a lot of fun Unfortunate that there wasn't a Citroen to be seen.. I wanna see what the whole hydraulic deal is all about!

Hope the damage on the 405 isn't too bad (and that it wasn't radiator coolant leaking..)

The 205 GTis looked very cool being punted through the country roads. I was absolutely amazed how swift the 307 Auto and the 306 XR were going through the twisty sections.

Pug307:
    BTW: mistareno - where were you? We waited 40 minutes for you!
    Maybe he was in the RAV4! mallet wink
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

Tadpole
    Thanks guys for organising a great day. Kylie and I (Todd) only hung around till Yarra Junction but had a great time anyway.

This was our first drive with the rocket but I'm sure we'll be around for the next one. Was thinking that some of the tiny back roads to Colac / Grampians might be pretty good, but might not provide so much opportunity to spin 360, nudge embankments, etc. roll_lau .. although the road up the hill at Halls Gap could be an exception .. look out for those tourists! eek!

Can't wait for everyone's pics, my video assistant was a bit slack (she was to busy clutching her seat, hehehe) so not much stunt footage here, maybe next time ...

Excellent day, well done.

cheers!

Richard,

Bernie, DTwo, pugjet, DeKa, rek & myself were all waiting at Bena for the others - we waited for quite some time, but noone came. Then we called the other 505s and they were on their way home - apologies for making you wait. So we went and found some more interesting roads to go home on.

Peter,

Imagine how the 307 would go after it went to Jenny Craig and built up some muscle

Don't worry, Derek & I just have to work harder than you out on the road I guess we were playing the "base model challenge". I'd probably corner faster & brake better than him, but he'd outgun me in a straight line no problem, as I discovered at a traffic light An extra few kilowatts can't compensate for another 200kg and an auto gearbox with one less ratio.

What we need next time is a in car cam, maybe someone can engineer a camera mount on the dash for pics.

I'm already getting enquiries about when the next one is. I'm not sure, but we'll have to try this Myers Creek Rd some time, eh! Wonder if Melbourne's going to send Sydney a cruise ambassador for their next cruise? Maybe we can have a Canberra cruise & meet there

It was great putting the names to the faces too! You're all a great bunch. For those who have come along for the first time, I hope you have been encouraged to come again in the future.

[edited to add comments]

<small>[ 22 February 2003, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: Pug307 ]</small>

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar
    Thanks Justin and others for organising a great day! We five-oh boyz had plenty of fun in our relatively underpowered machines... I don't think we were shamed too badly, were we...? I must say I missed my Mi16 when punting through the twisty bits though!

When's the next one?

John (504)
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

I'm happy to take up your suggestion for Myers Creek Rd!

Your 504 looks great - are you exhibiting it tomorrow? I don't really know too much about the cars before the 306, but I'm learning about the 505s - is it a TI or GL? (I'm guessing the former)

These cruises are all about having fun - you decide what's fun to you. We're all comfortable with different levels of driving, our machines are only capable of certain levels of driving. As long as you have fun - great!

<small>[ 22 February 2003, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: Pug307 ]</small>

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar
    Justin,

No, I can't be there tomorrow, I wish I could.

My 504 is a GL (carby), not a Ti (injection). But it has had a few improvements. Koni suspension, a five speed gearbox, the 15 inch alloys, and I've just fitted bigger sway bars to it too. Ask nJm what he thinks about the handling!

John
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

1000+ Posts
    I think I took around 40 pictures on Jason's camera, so bug him if you want to see them.

My only real concern with the running of the next cruise is the order in which people drive.

By the end of the day people had found their comfort zone in the line-up, But in future we need a better passing/let pass policy in my opinion.

And please! the more who invest in a CB radio (around $100) the better!!!
    Tim

2013 BMW 320i Touring M-Sport xDrive (Estoril Blue)

Come ON!!! weres the photos!! ........ you folk in the south arn't that slow are you? (kidding>>> Xq expects a wip lash)
    Or have the Cits yet to get back home...
    Xq

ps DEKA!?? start handing out the awards.
    ... ptui!

use your imagination... evil (ow wrong thread

Yes where are the photos. !
    It sounds like you guys had a ball. I cannot help but notice only one 306GTi attended. Does that mean we have near monopoly on 306GTi's in Sydney? At our last midweek meeting 3GTi's rolled up from 6 cars (except from one Mazda and one 205 rest were 306's).
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

nJm
    It was a fun day. John's 504 truely is incredible! From where I was it looked like it cornered as flat if not flatter than the 505 GTis we had there. As for me, well I think I might have scared some people with the amount of body roll I had, and also the amount of times my tail would slide out just a tiny bit. But don't worry people, I never felt like I was going to spin out or kiss the side of the road. It would have to have been the hardest I've ever pushed my car, and I was surprised that the Certis' did as well as they did. Oh well, I'm convinced for next time I should have those stiffer sway bars John has fitted to his 504

As for photos, I think Jason and I are (hopefully) taking his digital camera to the French Car Day today, so you can get a heap of photos by tomorrow with a bit of luck.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Thanks to justin once again,

Was a great day thanks to all involved.

i hope the damaged cars buff up okay..... frown
    ________
    WASHINGTON DISPENSARIES
    Last edited by DTwo; 22nd August 2011 at 02:24 AM.

No problem. It was great being able to resolve one of the world's long unanswered questions,

"What is DTwo's real name?"

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

1000+ Posts
    Hi all, I'm home!

Well I had a fantastic time, so thank for organising it all!!!

Here's my photos: <a href="http://homepage.mac.com/derekbartlett/aussiefrogs" target="_blank">http://homepage.mac.com/derekbartlett/aussiefrogs</a> - Enjoy

rek,
    I think you'll find the 307 and 306XR were good at the twisty bits cos of the drivers wink Mind you I was scared at how fast Justin pulled away from me around The Spur.. I wasn't game to corner any faster than I was, and looking at how some other cars ended up I'm glad I didn't. Justin sure is right about working harder in a base model car (with not so good tyres)

On the way back to Melb, Justin and I pulled up at a set of lights next to each other so we had an 'acceleration test' to the speedlimit of 80km/h (ok, I overshot to 90) and it appeared my paultry 8v 1.8 was still much quicker than the 16v 1.6 307.

Anyway, my 306 is due for a service now... a whole of 3 weeks after its last one! 5000km in 3 weeks, does that deserve some sort of award? :p

Derek.

Fellow Frogger!
    That Alpine sure is pretty!

<small>[ 24 February 2003, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: Aaron ]</small>

Administrator
    Pug307:

BTW: mistareno - where were you? We waited 40 minutes for you![edited to add model details]
    G'day guy's, I'm glad to hear all went well (except for the 2 pugs hitting the wall).

I'm sorry I couldn't make it, but unfortunately my schedule got the better (worse) of me.

On the Saturday, I had intended to go to the cruise, then on the way back I was going to a bucks night for my brother in law (soon to be) that was starting at 4:15pm in South Yarra.

Unfortunately, on Friday night, I realised that I also needed to make up two more signs for AFD.

As I live in Melton (50km west of Melb) it would have meant I had to leave at 7a.m. to make the start time in Healsville. This would have left me no time to do the signs.

As it was I left the bucks night at 10.00pm so I could get home and wash the car.

After washing the car I had to put the AFD signs up at about 4.00a.m. on Sunday morning to avoid the traffic on the tulla fwy.

I then got to AFD at 8.00a.m. to help setup.

Needless to say, I got about 1 hour sleep on Saturday night.....

AFD was worth the lack of ZZZ's, and about 150 cars turned up including many owned by aussie froggers.

And no, contrary to popular opinion, I did not give the citroens canaries.

Once again, sorry for not turning up, I didn't think you would hang around waiting.

P.S, Any possibility of the next cruise being held somewhere more central??? (perhaps the kinglake mountains??)

1000+ Posts
    mistreno,

No worries... just so you know, I saw all the signs and balloons and they were useful to me as an interstate traveller, so THANKYOU muchly

Derek.

nJm
    Thanks for getting some photos up Derek. The base model cars definately have to work harder than the 'sports' models Pitty you didn't really get to see the GR in all its glory .

Will be interested to see any other photos people have.

I'm also waiting nevously for a possible speeding ticket in the mail disappro
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

Look for photos at peugeot_ <a href="http://206gti.net," target="_blank">http://206gti.net,</a> too!
    MY15 208GTi

previously:
    MY10 Sportium HDi6 and 1.6L auto
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

1ére grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A

QUICK! MORE BREAD, MORE CIRCUSES!!

mr bern:
    Look for photos at peugeot_ <a href="http://206gti.net," target="_blank">http://206gti.net,</a> too!
    Nice to see you actually made it onto the aussiefrogs site "mr bern"
    ________
    Avandia settlement news
    Last edited by DTwo; 22nd August 2011 at 02:25 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information