A Drive
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: A Drive

Default A Drive

I feel like going on a drive tomorrow through the hills, I'll be heading out in the morning.

Advertisement

If anyone's interested, send me a PM - I'll check at 7AM.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

errr, i went for a drive, too... umm, yesterday.

bumped into justin, and a few other afers, two of which are coincidently down here in melbourne .

tell, you what guys, all of you who were not present, positively, absolutely missed out - big time!

must say it was the most interesting/insane drive ive been on courtesy of errr the presence of snow!!!

Luca you misssed out brother... dude, yes, driving through snow!

faaar! all of you that have pix/video of this drive please have the courtesy to have them published asap so those that didnt attend to can see they missed out, bad.

was initially reluctant to attend dinner coz i was buggered but glad i rokt up cause i had a great time.

good to meet you simon (SLC125) and guy (XTC) Sebastian and his wife, jason and his sweet girlie friend, and the usual knobs from melbourne - nigel, john (puegjohn), peter (REK), simon (BLK206), richard (silverexe), justin (PUG307, bernie (MRBERN), and asanka (purrrgeot) and his boyfriend.

cheers,

reggie

P.S. justin, all the best for sweden. make sure you touch base with us every so often, and also tell us if even the ugly swedish girls are good lookin, too.
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

Sure was a great drive! No prangs this time, in spite of circumstances being most conducive to prangs happening!

A nice bunch of Peugeots and one Alfa (no Rens or Cits) gathered in Healesville at 9:30am. Those present were:

Reggie 205 GTi
    Bernie 206 GTi
    Jason and friend 206 GTi
    Lucin 206 GTi
    Simon 206 GTi 180
    Simon from Sydney 206 GTi 180
    Justin 307
    John 504
    Richard 505 Exec.
    Nigel Alfa 75
    Guy (XTC206) from WA rode/drove with Justin,
    and Asanka joined us later in his 306

We decided to go for a drive ! We went over the Black Spur to Marysville, and stopped there at the bakery for refreshments (or breakfast for some). Then we continued on and took the Reefton Spur road towards Warburton. As we got higher, pretty little flakes of snow began to fall! No problem... we just continued on, and slowed down as the road became covered with a thin layer of snow. I expected that we would soon get past it and be able to continue on, but that wasn't to be. I was fourth in line, after Justin (307), Bernie (206 GTi) and Jason (206 GTi). Going up a slight incline, my rear wheels began to slip. I wasn't going to make any more progress. We decided we had to turn around. Luckily we were stopped near a wide corner and had some room, but it wasn't too easy... amazing how quickly grip is lost with just a little snow on the road.

The other three cars were a little further on, out of CB range, working out their own destiny.

We headed back the way we came, just taking it easy. One of the 206s went first (I think) and blazed a trail in the virgin snow. The other cars followed in the wheeltracks. We learnt that front-drive is much better than rear-drive in snow, as the three rear-drive cars began to have trouble getting up any slight inclines. The rear wheels would slip, and the rear of the car would begin to slide towards the side of the road. Sometimes progress was made with the car crabbing along at 45 degrees!

I found myself in trouble in the 504 when the convoy had to stop, as I couldn't get going again. Reggie and Simon passed me and I thought I maybe was going to die of exposure. At least I had half a chocolate bar. But luckily I was able to get it moving again. A snow plow-equipped Landcruiser went past me and made a bit of a track, and once I got onto that I was ok. Reggie saw me coming up behind him and couldn't believe that I was still alive!!

After a bit everyone stopped. Another car, not involved with us, had slid off the road into the ditch and we had to wait until it was pulled out. Lots of cars banked up going each way. After waiting a while we could continue on, very slowly, until we got a bit lower and the snow thinned. We went back to Marysville to wait for Justin, Bernie and Jason. We later found that they'd been having their own fun, having to change a wheel on Bernie's car. He had a flat from driving over a small log.

When we regrouped we all shared our war-stories about how we slid here and there and almost did this and that and so on. However we all survived, it was different, interesting, fun and a good story to tell the grandkids should we have any!

We decided we were still up for a drive. Justin received a call from Asanka saying that he was waiting for us in Neerim! So we headed back over the Spur, then took Healesville-Kooweerup Road and Dalry Road back to Launching Place and then headed to Powelltown and on to Neerim for a light lunch.

A great day! Good company, good fun, we enjoyed proving to ourselves that we could get out of trouble, and enjoyed the roads when we got out of the snow. I think my 504 earned some respect, too. In spite of 1200kg and 70kW, it did a remarkable job of sticking with the newer, more powerful and better handling cars.

This won't be the last drive day.

John
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

hi john,

man, just watching you go advance forward err sideways looked frign insane!!!

honestly, i thought, you were goin to have to leave to immaculate 504 in the snow overnight!hahaha

nigel wasnt any better in the alfa - great impersonation of an L-plater driving a vn falcodore around a round a about, in the wet! farr!

wish we had video of both!

i nearly had an off, too. simon (Blk206), who was in front of me in the 180, radioed "reggies gonna lose it! he's lost it!" was a liitle (alot, actually) disconcerting coz i was in the bounds of fighting for traction, all this at less than 5 kays. simon says he was watching in his mirrors and could see the front of my gti advancinf forward to the left and my wheels at full lock to the right!eeegh!

he says i was mere millimetres to the edge!

on other stages of the day, it was awesome to watch the 504 and 505. absolutely stuck to the wet roads like they were on rails! honestly couldnt see the 206gtis pull away!

the 180s are a beautiful thing even more glorious when two agean blue 180s are in the one place at the same time.

hope the interstaters had fun, coz we locals sure did.

and yes, this wont be the last drive.
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

oh yeah, dont mind the spelling errors .

and john, when di you think youll have those photos developed?

will you scan them and have the available, online?

cheers
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

O my what a small world, yesterday i woke up with a killer headache, i took some panadols & decided to go for a drive & get some crap off my mind.

I decided a nice drive up the warburton highway so i could 'talk to the animals' was in order. As i drove around the lovely area of neerim south checking out the local flora & fauna i discovered a group of peugeots parked outside the local eatery. BY TOTAL COINCIDENCE, inside the local eatery were some animals i could talk to, all of whom happened to be members of AF, did i mention that out of TOTAL COINCIDENCE, that two interstate travellers (one from syd & one from WA) also HAPPENED to have come to the SAME local eatery hundreads of Km's away from melbourne too, what a SMALL WORLD eh.

Anyway, these animals who BY COINCIDENCE were all at the same cafe, decided to pull out there digital cameras & show there photos. Upon closer inspection it was discovered that they were all driving behind eachother on the way to the eatery, purely by coincidence too!

Anyway after these computer geeks had compared the size of their megapixels & USB cabels. It was decided that a good drive up the infamous reefton spur was in order, so we all paraded our pugs in a "slow" manner through the beautiful yarra ranges.

anyway this drive was probably the best one i've ever been on, even though i only did the last leg. I got to meet some top blokes for the first time & say hi to the usual ugly suspects.At the end of the day It was bigger than Karl Williams outside heat night club in my opinion!

Im sure someone will host some pics & vids, to show how good a run this was & make you all jealous of how good the roads in melbourne are.

these were some comments made after the drive

'Bro me and mi 48 cousins in our VL turboz couldnt keep up bro, it was farrkd bro'
    -Spiro

'mate it was great mate awsome mate it was like mate great mate really good mate oi mate awsome mate great mate'
    -Ryan from the current Big brother

'it was like totttaly awsome like yeah cute guys like yeah'
    -Buffy

"Se i migliori mobili volete comprare da Franco Cozzo dovete andare a Bruns-a-wick e Foot-e-scray.
    -Franco Cozzo

'THE BEST'
    -John Howard

'The greatest place for all our people to come togethere and unite as one and DRIVE hard'
    -George Bush

Asanka-out

p.s All the best justin! hope you get plenty!I look forward to the many videos of "swedish fun" & no i aint talking volvo's & saabz!

Reggie, it might be a little while before I get the photos developed since the film (yep film, remember that..?) is only half used. I'll get someone to put them up once they're done.

So what happened after Nige and I peeled off at Yarra Junction? Was the road clear back over to Marysville by then?

John
    John W

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Oh and guess what? This morning the two tyres on the driver's side of my car were DEAD FLAT.

There's a little job for Monday.

John
    John W

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

That's a little scary, considering the rate of knots The 504 was doing around the corners on the way back from Neeram South. It was great to watch though

I had lots of fun guys - I especially enjoyed all the snow, but I can understand if others didn't find that bit so much fun. It was snowing up here too apparently (in the Blue Mts), which doesn't happen that often either.

It was really good putting some faces to some names, after accidently running into all these AF people whilst I was on a quick run down the Hume, and I hope my car will forgive me after being driven by a bloody volvo driver.

The Reefton Spur's not bad (for a Vic Rd), and Yarra Blvd's ok too (thanks for the tour, Peter ).
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

XTC

Well thanks to Pug307 for the invite ... had a ball .. a couple of Snow pictures I took .... The 307 was a surprise packet, didn't think it had the "ticker" ... but managed to stay on pace with anything out there .. - quite impressed.

- XTC206 -

Totally unimpressed by the 6+ hour QANTAS delay today .. only so much of MEL airport you can see.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Drive-img_8534sm.jpg   A Drive-img_8563sm.jpg   A Drive-img_8558sm.jpg   A Drive-img_8571sm.jpg  
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Now, say after me...

"If it's not McBoeing, I'm not McGoing!"

Whoever decided to buy those silly plastic Airbuses anyway.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Thanks Justin for bringing together such a nice bunch of people. And nice too to meet Guy and Simon.

I now have a nice new avatar!

Luan (my car's name is Lucin)
    Then - 2001 206 Gti
    Now - 2000 306 Gti6
    Now - 1974 GS 1220 Club

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206
    Now, say after me...
    "If it's not McBoeing, I'm not McGoing!"
    Whoever decided to buy those silly plastic Airbuses anyway.
    I had no McChoice .... the thing that pissed me off ... the plane was out of service on Sat night ... they had been trying to fix it, and only decided to start calling people AFTER they arrived to check in ... just great. So delayed to 12 noon ... THEN I find out via the interent it's delayed again to 14:30 but they didn't change the boards or tell anyone ... I make an enquiry and they finally they decide to change the board at the terminal ... Finally left MEL after 15:00 ... in a completely different plane .. with a crew that didn't know how things worked cause they hadn't been "trained" on they type of aircraft before
    Hey at least the plane didn't crash, that would have been the icing on the cake.

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Yeahm the drive was great fun and nice to catch up with the regulars and some new friends here. Lucky Lisa and I changed our minds to go to dinner, it was certainly fun after spending the day in the car and then finish the night with "gelati hot laps" !!

Jason
    Last edited by J206GTI; 19th July 2004 at 01:36 AM. Reason: add pic
    Jason

206 GTI MY01.5 Oversteer Edition

Myth Buster Logic : red cars go faster !!
    Red Car Bling factor :

A good time coincidentally had by all. Glad to see the tourists made it home in one piece -- thanks for coming, and adding to a real fun day.

That 4Wd that JW reported might have been the one determined to show us how it was done, with such amusing results when he lost it and ended up running off and into the tree.
    MY15 208GTi

previously:
    MY10 Sportium HDi6 and 1.6L auto
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

1ére grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A

QUICK! MORE BREAD, MORE CIRCUSES!!

Greetings from WSSS/SIN/Changi Airport in some obscure food court The wonders of a Powerbook and wireless internet access.

If you haven't guessed, yes I'm headed overseas, and don't be surprised if you see AF pop up in places you've never seen before As a result, this opens up a position for someone else to take over the running of future drives in my absence, and you know we have some fantastic roads in this part of the world.

Thanks to all of those who came to the drive or dinner, I really enjoyed myself and I really, really am happy to have my faith restored in AF drives. Every car had a radio (that's a first for an AF drive downunder!), noone crashed, everyone just had plain good fun. Dinner was great, will have to compile lap times for the AF Gelati Relay. I had a great time, thanks for the great send off.

Really, I was quite lucky that you happened to be lost on the Hume, Simon, glad I could direct you the right way That GTi180, yeah, not too shabby, eh Still, there are those GTi-6s

Another AF First - we were the first to get snow. Beat that Sydney

Say...anyone want to talk up the wonders of RWD and snow

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    Totally unimpressed by the 6+ hour QANTAS delay today .. only so much of MEL airport you can see.
    Aaargh, I had the CD with me - I tried calling you at about 1.50PM but you went straight to Voicemail - thought you had already left.

I've arranged for someone to mail those CD's to you next week.

Gotta go now, flight to Zurich is waiting. Take care everyone!

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

I might have a crack at organising the next drive... but I think I would avoid certain roads in the middle of winter!

Were the cars able to get all the way across to Marysville when you went back to the Reefton road?
    John W

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

Cool pics fellas. Derek and I went for a drive yesterday and came across all of the snow in Robertson. Was nuts to have snow so close to Sydney.

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Pug307
    Aaargh, I had the CD with me - I tried calling you at about 1.50PM but you went straight to Voicemail - thought you had already left. I've arranged for someone to mail those CD's to you next week.
    Damn ... I was still there ... was supposed to board at 2pm .. probably turned the phone off just before that. - ended up taking off at 3pm

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Quote Originally Posted by lucin
    I now have a nice new avatar!
    hi luan,

youre new avatar looks sweet.

wheres mine?

pssst luan, at your nearest convenience, please post your photos, k? pretty please with the olsen twins on top?

just that theres a particular pic i want... u know which one... and err dont hold me to ransom

cheers,

reggie
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

Sounds like you had a good time boys! P!ssed off I couldn't come, but bloody uni group had to meet. Snow is fun too! All you need is a carpark! Hopefully we'll be able to get another one soon (how are we going to do this without Justin!), and I'll be there in a BX! Keep the photos coming fellas!

Nick

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by peujohn
    Were the cars able to get all the way across to Marysville when you went back to the Reefton road?
    We didn't try ... just re-ran the Reefton road in reverse - just for good measure

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Quote Originally Posted by Pug307
    Gotta go now, flight to Zurich is waiting. Take care everyone!
    Going O/S for work or play Justin?

Troy.

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

Guys, I am spewing I missed this!! I would love to come on the next drive as would my girlfriend in her 205GTi. So you can add another 2 to the convoy in the future.
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

where are all these photos everyone took?? c'mon you digital camera geeks get it together already LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information