• Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By bob

Thread: Skipton - 175th celebration Show n Shine 1st November 2014

bob
    1000+ Posts

Default Skipton - 175th celebration Show n Shine 1st November 2014

G'day,

on Saturday 1st November 2014, 10am to 3pm.

Calling all district car lovers and petrol heads. Bring your old cars, motor bikes, old utes etc and participate in Skipton's first Show and Shine. Your vehicle does not have to be restored, it can be a work in progress.

Come and enjoy Skipton's big week end celebrating it's 175th year of settlement.

Signage will be erected on the day and the venue is on the southern grass side verge of the Glenelg Highway in front of the Skipton primary school.

Local big weekend, also Lake Goldsmith Rally on Sat & Sun featuring Caterpillar gear this time - now that's dedication, restore an ancient bent tracked unit.....

Advertisement

cheers,
    Bob
    bluemoon and Kenfuego like this.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I might have to take the ugly pink ID for a spin out there
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day Shane,

certainly close enough to be a "suburban" run for the Ballaratians...

We get a lot of club plated cars running through here and on to Beaufort, must be a popular ring road for clubs.

cheers,
    Bob

1000+ Posts

175 years old. You were New South Welshmen then! Something to celebrate......

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

that's old, never even thought of it !

Shane, could be a plan for you fellas in B'rat, get a team together with two or three oldies, park 'em at Skip' and spend half the day up the road at Goldsmith with the nominated driver - it's a mere 10 minutes up the Beaufort road.....

cheers,
    Bob

-image.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    G'day,

that's old, never even thought of it !

That's not old. Skipton Castle is from 1310.... Now that is old. I'm from Skipton Yorkshire.

Shane, could be a plan for you fellas in B'rat, get a team together with two or three oldies, park 'em at Skip' and spend half the day up the road at Goldsmith with the nominated driver - it's a mere 10 minutes up the Beaufort road.....

cheers,
    Bob
    Cheers Andrew

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

nope, not Yorkshire, Skipton 'ere is a retail wilderness in the depths of Victoria's western district. Wide open spaces and freehold title, no landed gentry with castles.... Although Sir Henry did go to school here along with a couple of other local notables.

Victoria was part of NSW 'till 1851, Skipton was populated with sheep in 1839, the town didn't arrive 'till 1851. Sort of suggests that 175 is a bit optimistic, maybe we had a collection of squatters 'n shepherds huts around the creek way back then, long way from Sydney probably the surveyors just hadn't caught up yet.....

cheers,
    Bob

bob
    1000+ Posts

Bump.....

Just a reminder, show 'n shine tomorrow

See in the local rag that they have got Jack Brabham's old MG TC that got him a second at Albert Park in 1953. Aaaah, memories, used to go there when I was a kid, gather and cash in the soft drink bottles.... Used to be able to cross the track on foot whilst the action was on in those times....

Lake Goldsmith is also on over the weekend,
    Lake Goldsmith Steam Preservation Association

and, Mooramong is open on Sunday, busy busy busy....
    Mooramong

cheers,
    Bob

1000+ Posts

I just had a quick Google for Skipton's history, and everyone from the Council down to the AFL club is keen to tell me it was a pastoral run. Funny thing is that nobody seems to know who the squatter was - was he an absentee? The town didn't begin until after separation - is that a factor?

In NSW the squatting pastoralist families are well known as the founders of their districts. They are often still there.

(Squatters were livestock owners of often considerable capital - they were not hobos)

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

I've got no idea who they all are either, at least three stations I seem to recall, an hour to kill on Google will probably provide all the answers... and no doubt will match up with the local street names

The community website used to have a decent history page, at least I reckon it did, looks to have gone down the gurgler, probably under clever new management...

cheers,
    Bob

Bugger Google, we're talking history. The best book on the subject is Margaret Kiddle's "Men of Yesterday", a social history of the western district of Victoria from 1834 to 1890 (Melbourne University Press, 1961). She says Skipton was the head station of the Bamganie run and developed because it was the point where the tracks from Melbourne, Geelong, Hamilton and Portland met to cross the Mount Emu Creek.

Roger

1000+ Posts

The run name pinned it down. George Russell, Golfhill station. (came from Scotland via Tasmania rather than from the north) - Biography - George Russell - Australian Dictionary of Biography

River crossing places that also had grazing soon led to carriers' camps, followed by pubs, followed by shops, then towns, and eventually a bridge, all over NSW (as it then was).
    Last edited by seasink; 1st November 2014 at 10:44 AM.

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day Roger,

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    Bugger Google, we're talking history. The best book on the subject is Margaret Kiddle's "Men of Yesterday", a social history of the western district of Victoria from 1834 to 1890 (Melbourne University Press, 1961). She says Skipton was the head station of the Bamganie run and developed because it was the point where the tracks from Melbourne, Geelong, Hamilton and Portland met to cross the Mount Emu Creek.

Roger
    that book is here somewhere also I think - boxes of stuff everywhere still !! Bamganie is a ways from here though ? Sayers in Bonwick's "Western Victoria" reckons that the township was carved out of a 27,000+ acre run set up by William Wright & James Montgomery, both celebrated in local street names, Francis Ormond & JL Currie also get similarly honoured.

Can't readily see what the local "runs" were called, a map would be good, although these things well predated official surveys. Mary Shaw mentions in "On Mount Emu Creek" that Skip is midway between Larra & Ercildoun runs and thus chosen as the best site to set up the first agricultural show in the region. Much to the chagrin of the old school on the other side of the Murray it became the premier place for the exchange and showing of the best sheep in the country Mary Shaw was on your side of town at Wooriwyrite run, Mortlake-Darlington zone.

cheers,
    Bob

I think you will find that a lot of Victoria was settled from Tasmania, not Sydney.

Skipton is indeed a long way from Bamganie, as it is also a long way from Larra, Ercildoun and Golf Hill. Back then some people owned multiple pastoral runs, and the runs were pretty big. Bamganie's main claim to fame is that it is Bolte country. Golf Hill at Shelford is still in Russell family hands, as is Coliban Park at Elphinstone, though they lost Mawollok (best garden in Australia) at Stockyard Hill. I still have a tractor I bought at the clearing sale when Graeme McKinnon sold Larra in 1984. Ercildoune was split up in the 1970s, I think.

Kiddle mentions the first sheep show in Skipton in 1859. After 1873 that show was merged into the Ballarat sheep show.

Roger

PS AFL is not a game, it is a self-important league that plays a particular football code. The game itself is called Australian Rules Football.

1000+ Posts

Some of the Victorian runs were indeed huge, as were some Queensland ones. I suspect it to some extent reflects distance from Sydney and the presence of both settlements and other pastoralists. They were licensed, and were mapped, though you might question the accuracy of some. Lands in Sydney holds them, and many are now online. I guess that at separation existing records relevant to the new colonies were transferred to Brisbane and Melbourne for management.

There were some extraordinary multiple vast holdings. They said of Thomas Hall, a Hawkesbury pioneer, who witnessed my ggg-grandfather's will, that he could travel all the way to the north of Queensland, and sleep each night in his own bed. Possibly a bit stretched, but you get the idea. His actual home was Dartbrook, in the upper Hunter valley.

I had a look at the map for street names in towns in NSW where my people were from. No streets were named for the pastoralists (though parishes were). Some streets were named for founding publicans and shopkeepers.
    Last edited by seasink; 1st November 2014 at 10:42 PM.

Thread Information