206Gti Club Cruise
  • Register
  • Help

Default 206Gti Club Cruise

I noticed the 206 GTI club in NSW http://www.206gti.net/nsw/ are having a cruise on the 1st February 2004. Late last year a few of us from Aussie Frogs went along on one of there cruises. It was a good day and hopefully we could tag along again.

I know there's some members of both Aussie Frogs and the 206 GTI club so maybe one of you could ask the right person and see if there happy for us to come along again.

Advertisement
    '99 306 XSi Black Metallic

Aaah I don't think I'll be going to any 206gti.net events anymore.

and why's that?

I don't particularly want to be associated with them after the last run, after the incident.

That special stage thingie was just plain stupid.

Maybe it was. I wasn't there for that part so I can't really make a call on it.

Stupidy levels is also something that each individual driver chooses to make.

I just like a good excuse to get out of the city listen to some music and actually do something different to stop start driving.

Maybe at the BBQ we could all have a discussion about the whole driving issue further.

I think a disclaimer should be made that this has nothing to do with AF.. Only for courtesy to the Mods and Admin, and the views of Public organisation of Cruises through the Board...

just my thoughts...

Would be cool to go out for a cruise, but i gotta get some things in order first!!!
    THE MAD PUGGA

1989 405 Mi16 (PGT-405)

I checked with the moderaters and as the cruise is not being organised by Aussie Frogs its allowed to be posted. Basically we would be going on a drive with the 206 GTI club and not with Aussie Frogs. That's if there's anybody out there that still wants to go on drive days...

1000+ Posts

I agree with macquered... I'd strongly advise people against going on a drive with the 206GTI.net group. "Special Stages" are just ridiculous. Some drivers were very irresponsible when it comes to overtaking.

Derek

I didn't experience any of the above mentioned, but I respect and trust your opinions so maybe we should avoid them.

I put it up here as option as we can't organise our own cruises on the forum anymore. Maybe at the BBQ on Sunday which will be off the forum we could talk about the whole drive day issue further and possible ways to organise them.

I think we can still organise drives via the forum, is that right Derek?

I've adopted a Grandpa-esque attitude to these late night blats though. I've seen far too much crumpled metal recently.

Just last weekend I heard of a webforum related cruise that had 5 cars involved in accidents.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by macquered
    I think we can still organise drives via the forum, is that right Derek?
    hmmm not 100% sure Brenno - I've just had another PM question about drive days. I've said I'm not sure, and we'll wait for gibgib.

I'm pretty hesitant about it though.......

Derek.

After asking moderaters it appears that cruises where Aussie Frogs is the organiser are no longer to be organised on the forum. However, where we are not the organiser but are a few people joining another clubs organised event we can post details. This is why I was allowed to post details of the 206 GTI club cruise.

I'm not a moderater of the forum so what I say has no real authority on this issue, but is what I've come to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by DeKa
    I agree with macquered... I'd strongly advise people against going on a drive with the 206GTI.net group. "Special Stages" are just ridiculous. Some drivers were very irresponsible when it comes to overtaking.

Derek
    Whilst I agree that what happened on the drive was very unfortunate, it was certainly not organised that way, nor the mentality of most of the people on the drive. I'm very concerned that you think we are all crazy speed freaks

I'm sure there won't be any "special stages" or even any dirt for that matter.

I quite appreciated the fact that we went through that small section of dirt single file, with a few minutes gap, and thus avoided dust/rocks on each other's cars. It was never meant to be a rally or anything remotely like that! The person that came to grief wasn't even a member of 206gti.net as far as I was aware - though he was more than welcome to come along.

I've always found our drives to be good social events and a chance to meet the people we converse with on the internet group we have. I especially enjoyed meeting some of our Aussie Froggers on the last cruise.

Personally I don't think it's fair to bad mouth "the group" because a few people have trouble driving to the conditions, (and I agree that overtaking irresponsibly is very bad) but everyone is entitled to their opinions. I'm just surprised to be hearing now how badly everyone thinks of us, apparently
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

1000+ Posts

I don't think badly of you, and I read the emails from your group with great interest every day. I just wouldn't go on a drive organised by 206GTi.net members again... sorry

Derek

XTC

You have to remember that ANY event organised by an unregulated* group (this includes AussieFrogs or 206GTi.net or any other personal get together) carries risk .. even just tripping over and twisting your ankle ... or more serious like crashing a car.

The moderators have thought hard and long about allowing drive announcments on the forum - even an AussieFrogs BBQ has an element of risk - but basically the "driving" part has been taken out. In any case, ANY method of co-ordination of an event (BBQ, Drive, Meeting etc etc) actually puts the forum at risk, as the mechanism that brought together and advertised the event it holds some sort of responsibility - yes the law is an ass sometimes but if people didn't sue for trivial things and took responsibilty for their own actions then it would be a better place, with less lawyers !!

* unregulated groups have no membership, no constitution, no office bearers and most importantly no public liability insurance.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

1000+ Posts

Thanks for that input XTC206. Realisticly, 206GTI.net NSW people need to do the same as the WA people have done, and integrate and organise events through the respective Peugeot Car Club.

Derek.

Quote Originally Posted by DeKa
    Thanks for that input XTC206. Realisticly, 206GTI.net NSW people need to do the same as the WA people have done, and integrate and organise events through the respective Peugeot Car Club.

Derek.
    When we were on that cruise, I was having quite a long chat with one of their members when we were outside the pub in Tarana for all that time. He was telling me that they (the 206Gti net) had plans to do exactly that. I'm not sure whether they actually did or not, but that was their plan.
    Care factor = -273.15ºC

Tadpole

Default 206GTi Drive Days

TO ALL THOSE AUSSIE FROG FORUM USERS

It appears 'some' Aussie Frog forum users have chosen to 'bad mouth' our 206GTi.net Drive Days. Having read everyones comments i have the following feedback to give:

1) Our Drive Days are called Drive Days not Rally Days, and are intended for those of us who are sick of driving in 2nd Gear all day to get out of town and give our cars a good run.

2) Clear documentation outlining the days events are issued and on page one it quite clearly states the following:

This Is NOT a Race
    The speed limit will be adhered to, people may go for the occasional “squirt” and by all means go ahead if you want, but speed cameras are pretty prevalent in NSW.

Please be courteous to those drivers who obviously like to go quicker than others, do not hold them up and let them pass. This goes not only for fellow Pug drivers but just drivers in general on the road.

3) Responsibility lies in the person behind the wheel and no one else. Our next drive day will require all attendees to sign a disclamer that delares all responsibility on this drive day is at the owners risk.

4) 206gti.net simply provide a driving route from point A to point B, and sections where we can regroup. All times listed on the plan are based on adhearing to the speed limit.

5) The Gravel 'incident' on our last drive day was very unfortunate. Some may argue he was inexperienced as he was on 'p' plates, other may say he was reckless, or maybe it was just an accident and it could have happened to anyone. If you recall it was made 'VERY CLEAR' we would space the cars out with a two minute gap to avoid any damaging to each others cars in the form of chip and rocks, Perhaps we should have not called it a 'special stage'. Perhaps some people got the wrong idea!

6) I am not a frequent user of any online forum, HOWEVER as Simon indicated our drives days are an opportunity to stop tyre kicking in cyberworld and get our there and meet fellow GTi owners, go for a nice drive, see a bit of NSW countryside and meet up for lunch somewhere.

7) On 31st October 2003 i sent an email out to ALL Gti owners inviting them to become a member of the Peugeot Club of NSW. I am now a member of the Club, along with only two other GTi owners.

8) All future 206 drive days excluding 1st February, will be arranged through the Peugeot Club of NSW. HOWEVER, this is only likely to manage / reduce the risk of liability,it is unlikely to mitigate it all together.

9) The inviting people to an event that you are NOT the organisor of without prior approval is irresponsible.

10) And finally - as i climb down off my soap box... such discussions as these should be held 'OFFLINE' The internet is a PUBLIC space and therefore anyone 'wanted' or 'unwanted' could be reading these forums. Such comments could spoil the furture of any 206gti.net or Aussiefrog drive day.

I will say no more on the subject...

Gavin
    unimpressed and unamused!

Gavin - It's nice to know that you are learning quickly. Too right the special stage was stupid. That was my only gripe.

Simon - I don't think badly of the group (except for that dutch retard). In fact it was really nice to meet you as we have a lot of common interests.

I haven't lived in Sydney all that long, but have had the oppurtunity to explore most of the fanstastic roads here via assorted drive days. I've seen cars go off cliffs, I've seen cars set alight, I've seen accidents where I thought some good friends of mine were corpses inside (lucky they climbed out though). I've lost count of the times I've been having a bit of fun on a road, and called back because some twit ran out of talent a few corners back.

Forgive me for taking the subject of safety quite seriously. To be honest I was very impressed with the effort you (Gav) put into the cruise, making sure the paperwork was correct etc. The only thing that sticks in my mind is the whole special stage thing. I thought this was silly straight off the bat. When I saw how people were driving on that road, I decided to leave. This was a public road, with residents driveways adjoining. I had enough trouble keeping the 307 from skittering off the road, and I was going through there relatively slowly.

Thread Information