French car owners in NZ
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Fellow Frogger!

French car owners in NZ

Hi all,

Advertisement

those interested in belonging to a car club focusing on restoring and modifying french cars (with an emphasis on Renaults? and in the north Island of New Zealand) are invited to attend a laid back weekend in Tokoroa. The meeting will take place over two days (December Sat 1st and Sun 2nd 2001) and on the second day is the chance to use a closed road for a hill climb!
    Those interested contact Ben Anderson for further details; fruitcropsunit@massey.ac.nz or phone 06 356 8043 or 025 2462291. Look forward to seeing you there!!!

Fellow Frogger!
    Bugger. Why do you guys all have to be in the North Island. I would be real keen otherwise, despite owning a Peugeot. Know of anything similar in the South Island? I've joined the Christchurch Peugeot club but they aint into motorsport in big way.
    Have fun anyway

Fellow Frogger!
    Hey Izza,

yeah sorry about that, just need someone to put a bridge between Nth and Sth Island and then we'd be sweet! Have you tried the Renault Club in the South Island? THey may be a little more 'motorsport oriented' than the pug people. I used to own a pug- 504 TI but belonged to the local reno club for the same reason. I'll let you know how we get on- I'll post something here, and all going well we may yet put a website together for nz enthusiasts.

Cheers Ben

I'm interested (especially in the hillclimb part), however like Izza, I drive a Peugeot. I'm in south Auckland which helps, I'll see how things pan out.

Eddie

1000+ Posts
    hi eddie, did u finally get her fixed up or did u buy another 205. was it u who was looking for lowering springs awhile back?? cheers
    jr20516v

Now:
    205 2.0T , 205 [new project 2014 ], Matra Bagheera x2, Exige SC [modded], 205 Si. x2

Previous: 205 x16, X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2

JR: My original car got fixed (it took nearly 2 months though), I've had no problems since (knock wood). I was looking for lowering springs a little while back, I'm trying to amass funds to do the whole suspension at once though - I just spent $500NZD on a set of the factory 15" 1.9 alloys (money well spent), so plans have been knocked back a bit.

Cheers, Eddie
    p.s. I'm still insanely jealous of your 16v

Tadpole
    hi Ben
    im Ross Webster's son. i have heard all about your plans but i thought i would post a reply to help drum up support. i'll have my 205gti 1.9 there, going hard. we are all out for a bit of fun, nothing to serious, just a good day out and some tyre smoke! so come on guys, support your chosen marque and lets do this. any frenchies can come along, im not letting these renault boys get big heads!!
    cheers

Geellystar: me and a couple of owners I know through a different message board have set up the NZ 205 GTi Register, at the moment its nothing serious, and is only a week or two old, but if you want a look, its at:
    http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~plane/owners/index.htm
    And the main site is: http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~plane

Cheers,
    Eddie

Fellow Frogger!
    Hey Geellystar,

it seems to run in families - this affliction with french cars- both me and my brother are struck with the 'disease' too!!

Yep come on all you kiwi 'enthusiasts' time to put your money where your mouth is and put your car through a bit of what it was intended for. As Geellystar said- anyone with a french car is welcome to come along- it's all gonna be low key and a bit of fun. Once again if onyone wants to know more feel free to contact me........see above for contact details.

Cheers Ben

ps geellystar- as the owner of one of the best performing front wheel drives of its time you should in theory wipe the floor of us mere mortals in renos wouldn't you......no pressure or anything!!

The meeting will take place over two days (December Sat 1st and Sun 2nd 2001

HEY! This post was the incentive I needed to sign up to Froggy Forums! Any more detail on this planned event? I may well head down for a look in my BX 16v, and may bring a mate in his BX 19 TRS. I'd love to put my Fiat racer (hence user name!) in the hillclimb, but that just wouldn't be fair ;-)

I'll probably give you a call about the event too.
    Cheers
    Phil (Hamilton)

Fellow Frogger!
    Hey Chris,

glad this is getting some people interested in taking their frenchcars out for a thrash! You were after a bit more detail so here goes; (bearing in mind that this is a rough outline- we are open to suggestions.....)

Saturday 2.00pm Meet at Tokoroa Hotel
    2.00 - 5.00 pm informal time talking, looking at each others cars etc
    5.00 - 7.00 pm Dinner
    7.30 Meeting at the hotel meeting room to discuss club

Sunday 9.00 am assemble at Tar Hill for hill climb (briefing etc)
    9.30 - Noon hill climb
    1.00 pm may be lunch somewhere
    Depart for home

As I said we could do other things if anyone has some (realistic and cool/different) ideas.
    Seeya Ben

ps give us a call if you need to know more Chris- it'd be great to see a couple of citroens there!

All sounds good. I need to speak to my mate with the BX19 (not back yet from crewing on Targa - head mechanic for the Sayer E Type !)
    By the way - he is also a Citroen trained mechanic, and experienced in Pugs too.... maybe if we can make it to the "show and tell" he'd be happy to provide advice...

Has anyone done Tar Hill before? What's it like? tight, fast, slow...... ?

cheers
    Phil

Fellow Frogger!
    Hey Chris,

sounds like your mate could be really interesting/knowledgeable to talk to- hope he can make it along. I haven't driven Tar Hill before either- maybe someone else could elaborate on it?

Something I forgot to mention is that Tar Hill is being organised for us by the hotel owner- where we are having the meeting.

It'd be good if people could support this guy if possible, rather than just turn up for the Sunday hill climb- obviously if you are less than an hour away there's probably not much point staying te night in Tokoroa....

Any way, the more the merrier- if this one goes well we could begin to move it around the nth island a bit....

Seeya Ben

ps I am mulling over entering my 17 in the Targa next year- not the competitive bit- the one where you drie the closed roads before the race cars, a good time to take the car and give it a good caning, also to see if I have got the guts to do the 'real' thing.

Will be talking to BX owning mate today, so will post back when I can. I think he's been to Tar Hill, so will see what he says about that too.

also, why is everyone calling me "Chris" ???

cheers
    ** Phil **

Fellow Frogger!
    Hey **Phil**,

ahem, seems I need to post replies using a quote as the memory isn't as good as it used to be- actually I don't think it was ever that good- sorry about that!!

Yeah, it'd be good if we know something about this hill climb, apparently its a private road of Carter Holt Harvey's that they are quite happy to close off for car clubs. I am pretty sure it's not gravel- the guy from the hotel will know for sure, I'll try and find out some more details.

On another note - did you see that the little 5 gordini cam about middle of the field in the Targa? I think the little 106 clubsports did a bit better than that again. I was suprised the gordini did that well as as far as I know it runs fairly std mechanicals (apparently its for sale....).

Cheers Ben-not chris either.......

Hey ho
    Talked to someone about Tar Hill. apparently it's reasonably twisty, but as it's 4 lanes wiiiiide, you end up treating them as gentle bends. My mate (henceforth referred to as "Mark") suggested I should be able to hit 90mph on the way up (gulp).
    Yep, checked out the 5 gordini.... sweet! Belongs to a good mate of my mate Mike (Fiat abarth Berlina corsa in Targa). Great little car, he wants around $5000 which sounds totally reasonable. Apparently he got a call from some guy in NZ who believes he (until now) has the only Gordini in NZ. The Targa one, if it doesn't sel, will stay here in storage until Targa 2002. The owner will go back to the UK and use his Dodge Viper (!!!).

cheers
    PG

Could anyone tell me if we need crash helmet for the tar hillclimb on Sunday 2.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

I noticed that Geellystar wants this to be an Intermarquee competition. If our Renault engines are 46% smaller than his Pug engine, with no overhead cam, with only 8 valves, we expect from him to do times almost twice as quick as ours.
    Only joking, your dad has the right idea to modify the right car, Renault.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Fellow Frogger!
    Hey Frans,

yeah compulsory helmet-wearing isbe a good idea, and a current WOF and Rego too.
    I am thinking about putting harnesses in my car for the event - a reno 17, for that extra bit of safety. Besides helmets are only about $100.

Seeya Ben

Helmets sound like a good idea, especially for anyone silly enough to not take a Peugeot...

- Eddie (sorry, had to do it...)

Fellow Frogger!
    Well Eddie,

thems fightin' words you know!! You'd better be backing that up with some pretty decent run times down in Tokoroa!!! Looks like the challenge has been laid down between Pugs and Renos- what about the Citroen owners out there?

Ben

Hey, that's me! (actually, a hybrid really as my citroen has the same motor as Pug 405mi16). Still hoping to get there. Does anyone else have motorsport experience here? I've done club racing for years, so have some definite opinions about safety (have seen some bad things!). Re- helmets... there is a particular safety standard code (Snell 95) that is required for club level motorsport. A 2nd hand helmet from cash converters is a huge no-no. Drop a helmet and they can be wrecked (with no visible signs of damage). A bad fitting helmet can itself be a danger in an accident. Most importantly, some sort of pre-event safety checking of vehicles should be done, and a dress standard tightly enforced (usually "no loose cuffs on wrists and ankles, suitable footwear"). Simple things can be overlooked when racing a road car.... for example... that wheel brace sitting on the floor in the back of your car could easily kill you if you roll your car over a bank! This may sound over the top, but ask anyone who has done hillclimbs, circuit racing etc, and you should get the same things suggested.

I will follow up with Mark to see if he might come. He is a Motorsport NZ authorised scrutineer, so may be happy to do some checks. Problem is, if someone's car is deemed unsafe, is someone prepared to make the call that they shouldn't/can't race???!!

food for thought.
    Phil

Don't espect any flash times from me, I don't want to overcook things, as this will be my first real motorsport experience (haven't sent away the membership forms for the local car club yet, despite having had them for a few months now).

Phil: would a motorcycle helmet be suitable, and what things should I check before I go, (my suspension needs replacing etc)? Bear in mind things can't cost too much, I'm a poor student...

Thanks for any info,
    -Eddie

Anyone concerned about safety ought to personally check the following things:

- all WOF standard items, esp
    - tyres ok?
    - balljoints, wheel bearings, etc
    - seats.... if you grab them, can you wobble them? If so, FIX IT
    - remove any loose floor mats
    - empty out interior of anything loose
    - are you wheel nuts tight (don't laugh....)
    - bonnet closed properly?
    - seat belt !
    - helmet: any chips or damage? A tired-looking helmet is almost certainly rooted. Must fit properly... a loose helmet can kill you
    - head rests... a head rest that comes up to the back of your neck is lethal. In an accident it will act as a fullcrum point, snapping your head BACK over it. either set it up against the back of your head, or remove it.
    - throttle return spring.... when you rev your engine, does the throttle snap closed? Ever seen a racecar with the throttle jammed open?
    - battery: essential that it is tightly and securely fastened down.

These are basics that I would advise everyone thinks about carefully. It's very easy in the excitement to be a little careless. Offerred as advice only.

Also.... note that almost all insurance policies do not cover motorsport !

PG

Fellow Frogger!
    Hey Phil,

thanks for posting that, I agree with all of it!!

I must admit I am in the same boat as Eddie really, a lot of intentions but never been racing yet. Some of the other peole involved with the idea of this club have had racing experience - but not me- I am just the person posting ideas to get people to come along.....

What we are after is something safe (as safe as caning your car flatstick along country roads can be) whilst not getting caught up in all the regualtions/rules etc(Motorsport NZ seem to have gone over the top since the Queenstown thing....) that have tended to discourage people from getting involved in this sort of thing in the past.

I had wondered about something like a gymkhana in a car park with cones timing etc without requiring full on safety gear/scrutineering etc. The thing about getting someone to scrutineer and what have you is that they have to be willing to give up their time to do so. If they do, brilliant, and hopefully we can foster/further attitudes like that in such a club....

To anyone not sure about entering but are keen on the idea- come along and watch, just don't forget to bring your french car along...

Anyway, thats my two cents worth..

Cheers Ben

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information