Australian Delahaye - where is it?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Tadpole

Default Australian Delahaye - where is it?

Can anyone assist? I'm trying to contact the owner, or find the car - a 1950 Delahaye Coupe that has a Melbourne body by Martin & King. The car was sold in Sydney in the 1980's. If you can assist, know of a mechanic who may service such cars, please let me know by replying to this forum or contact me directly on 0407 581 167. Thanks for any assistance, Chris McSteen.

Advertisement

Any picture that can be posted please?
    1974 D Special, 2015 Fiat Panda Twinair turbo 85hp (), 2011 VW biturbo camper.

Default Is this?

hi Chris,
    I took this snap at FCD Macleay park a few years ago,best bet to track owner will be Peter Kerr as seen chatting [in summer hat].
    So where does your interest arise? I found a great book on Delahaye by 'Brooklands'.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Australian Delahaye - where is it?-delahaye-2.jpg  

Tadpole

Default Looking for Australian Delahaye

Thanks Salman.
    Nice photo of a 1949 Delahaye convertible - my car in fact, so what a small world!
    No, the car I'm after is a 2 door hard top coupe, body made in Melbourne, featured at the 1950 Melbourne motor show. And from what I've been told was sold in Sydney in the mid 1980's.
    So, perhaps someone else will have a photo of a car from NSW?
    Thanks again.
    Regards,
    Chris McSteen

Tadpole

Default Lost Australian Delahaye

Thanks for the query.
    I don't have a photo at present.
    All I can tell you is that it is a 2 door (hard top) coupe that featured at the Melbourne motor show in 1950. It looks a little like a French 135, however, the rear end has a bit of a 'British' look.
    Apart from a 4 door sedan, all other Delahayes that I've come across in Australia have been convertibles, although coupes were common overseas.
    Thanks again.
    Regards,
    Chris McSteen

Default count!

What a coincidence! Chris,Im keen to know how many surviving Delahaye are in existence in Oz.
    I do have a cofession to make also but will wait for the moment.
    merci

Tadpole

Default How many surviving Delahayes?

I don't know of too many. However, I have come across several over the years:
    1 - Melbourne, early 1970's - a Green 2 door 135 convertible. The last I heard was that it was in Western Australia,
    2 - Adelaide Hills 1970's - a Delahaye 1949 147L 4 door saloon black & a 1949 Delage 2 door convertible white owned by a lovely chap (a collector of everything ) who has since died.
    3 - Wallen Victoria 2000's - a 1949 135 2 door convertible, blue.
    4 - Ringwood 2010 - a 1948 2 door convertible grey in colour. Another lovely owner , Peter Baker, who had several cars. Peter unfortunately died last year. I don't know where his cars are now?
    5 - Gippsland Victoria 2010 - a 1949 135 convertible, light green. I'm in contact with the owner and can supply details if necessary.

Other than that I don't know of any others.

The car that I am interested in however is different from all the above because the body was built here in Melbourne.

Regards,

Chris McSteen

dvr
    Fellow Frogger!

About 25 years ago a dealer in Rutherglen, Gordon Macinlay had one. He may still have it or know where it is.

Might be worth a try if he's still there. If not Max Carmody Motors in Albury may know how to contact Gordon.

Tadpole

Default Lost Australian Delahaye

Thanks for that, I'll try to contact Gordon.

Taken Adelaide mid-2006. Labelled a 148L, I see...so is this one of those mentioned in your previous post, or another example of the marque to emerge?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Australian Delahaye - where is it?-sl550487.jpg   Australian Delahaye - where is it?-sl550486.jpg   Australian Delahaye - where is it?-sl550491.jpg   Australian Delahaye - where is it?-sl550493.jpg  

Tadpole

Default 148 L Delahaye

Yes, I believe this is the car that I last saw in the Adelaide hills in the 1970's. Looking pretty tired.

Tadpole

Default 148 l

Also, from memory I think the previous owner's name was Tony Lower.

It was up for auction at Scammell's - no idea what it went for, or to whom. Yes indeed - it was definitely somewhat tired: to collect is one thing, to care for ... quite another.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Australian Delahaye - where is it?-sl550494.jpg   Australian Delahaye - where is it?-sl550495.jpg  

Tadpole

Default 148 l

It took 20 years and a lot of work to get my Delahaye sorted. I'd be reluctant to do it all again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Australian Delahaye - where is it?-157-5724_img.jpg  

dvr
    Fellow Frogger!

Wow that's gorgeous.

Your's is the pick of the bunch Chris, sensational looking car.

There's a Martin & King bodied Delage on here, maybe someone might have the Delahaye info you're looking for?

http://www.coachbuild.com/

Cheers,
    Duane

Tadpole

Default Lost Martin & King Delahaye

Thanks Duane.
    I've had a look through that site - what a great site! - couldn't find the martin & king car though?
    Every bit of info helps.
    Thanks again,
    Regards,
    Chris

Hi Chris, it's magnificent, isn't it? So much information.

My apologies - the Martin & King section is in the forum, under Australian Coachbuilders. Unfortunately, you can't see the photos unless you register - but I've been on there a few years and am yet to be spammed, so have no fear.

Cheers,
    Duane

Fellow Frogger!

Default delahaye

Can remember seeing a Delahaye rwo door coupe in James Harwood's car yard in James Street Perth in the late 1950's. The last I heard was it was in a (very) private museum located somewhere in the Swan District. Apparently two brothers just collect and store unusual cars ......... no one ever gets to see them so it's anyone's guess what they have stashed away.

Oooh, I love those stories...the cars have to come out one day, that's the exciting part.

Default Fond memories!

A dear friend who was French Consul General to Lahore Jehangir Malik had the Type 135 cabriolet[black],it belonged to his late mother,from a promonent family of La Rochelle,they had a Villa near Paris and it was stashed away from German occupation,General de Gaule used it for one of the liberation parades.
    After her marriage to my friends dad she shipped it over,its now with a common family friend who has a collection of exotics.Remember seeing the documentation and shipping paperwork.

Tadpole

Default Delahaye of a friend?

Good storey, but, what does the car look like?
    Rgds,
    Chris

Fellow Frogger!

Default 1912 Dalahaye in Wagga

June long week-end each year, Wagga hosts an excellent vintage and classic car rally (& motorcycles).
    The following was taken from the local free paper The Leader. Wagga resident Arthur Garthon owns 4 cars, his 1912 Delahaye with 16 power is one of only three in existence. There are only three left in the world and the only one of its kind in Australia. "I got the 1912 Delahaye in 1955 and did it up" he said,"There are only three left in the world, one in Scotland and England".
    Interestingly his other favourite vintage car is a 1918 Crossley 25/30 which he has meticulously restored.
    Last edited by moulton2speed; 15th June 2011 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Delahaye spelt incorrectly in heading

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

Quote Originally Posted by chris mcsteen View Post
    It took 20 years and a lot of work to get my Delahaye sorted. I'd be reluctant to do it all again.
    G-day Chris, a couple years ago at the VFCS in Nth Balwyn when I saw your car there was also a Delage I think it was, I thought that was yours aswell, do you have a photo of that one that you could share.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Tadpole

Hi John,

Sorry the Delage was not mine, if I had a photo I'd pass it on, but I haven't.

Rgds,

Chris McSteen

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information