Wire wheels on an Aronde?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Wire wheels on an Aronde?

I welcome comments re this shot which I've pulled from a French forum. Are they "bolt-on wires" or what?

Advertisement

My guess would be genuine wire wheels. I can see the 2 different lengths spokes and you can see the long ones going to the outer disc and the shorter ones to the inner disc.
    Regards
    Frans.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Fair enough, but there were some wheels (and I seem to associate them with 30's Fords & Chevs?) which, while "genuine" wires as you've quite correctly described, were in fact bolted to the axles/brake drums.
    I'll try to chase up an image of same, which hopefully will clarify what I'm so clumsily trying to describe

Quote Originally Posted by petitepoupée View Post
    Fair enough, but there were some wheels (and I seem to associate them with 30's Fords & Chevs?) which, while "genuine" wires as you've quite correctly described, were in fact bolted to the axles/brake drums.
    I'll try to chase up an image of same, which hopefully will clarify what I'm so clumsily trying to describe
    Like so?

Lots of cars had bolt on wire wheels, probably more common than spindle mount.

On my uncles farm there is an ancient trailer with some 6 stud wire wheels on it, I think they're off a GM of some kind. They're rusted few in a few places but i will restore them one day soon. I love prewar style hot rods and am building something like that, they should go well with it.

Thanks

Hayden

Yep that's it Hayden - I strongly suspect that's what the Aronde pictured is wearing.
    Although it's unusual, I guess it would "only" be a matter of finding such wheels with the correct PCD for the studs, and a near enough offset, combined, of course, with an appropriate rim width and diameter.
    To my eyes the Aronde looks a trifle unusual, but if you look at some of the weird things done to cars today (with ultra low profile rubber being fitted to 4 WD's for heaven's sake !) little has changed in the "personalization" of vehicles carried out by their owners.

Fellow Frogger!

Default wire wheels

They were an after market accessory for the French cars in the mid fifties, they are a genuine bolt on wire wheel and have seen them offered on many of the Simca and Renault (Fregate) cars. I did have a name of the manufacturer which I will try and locate.

JP - SIMCA MAN

Quote Originally Posted by panhard View Post
    They were an after market accessory for the French cars in the mid fifties, they are a genuine bolt on wire wheel and have seen them offered on many of the Simca and Renault (Fregate) cars. I did have a name of the manufacturer which I will try and locate.

JP - SIMCA MAN
    Panhard,
    In one of my SIMCA books the brand name is "Robergel".
    The wheels pictured on the SIMCA in my book appear to be trims.
    No doubt among period accessories for the Aronde there would have been bolt on wire wheels.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Simca wheels

Mr Wildebeest
    I think "Robergel" is name I had in mind. I have attched a pix illustrating the wheels fitted to a Fregate convertible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wire wheels on an Aronde?-wheels.jpg  

Thread Information