Early aussie vedette
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Early aussie vedette

With the loss of my favourite site I have developed an acute case of withdrawal symptoms which hopefully will abate now we are back on line. A big "Thankyou" to all the guys whose efforts helped to achieve the remarkable outcome.

To the one out there looking for information on the early aussie Simca Vedette would you again post your message and I will again give you a reply.

JP - SIMCA MAN

Advertisement

Tadpole

Default early Vedette

Hi there, Graham here re 57 Vedette from an earlier post.
    My 85 year old friend has (in his words) one of about 7 (i think he said)of the first Vedettes to come to Oz ,for evaluation he believes.
    John is a coachbuilder from the old days of T.J.Richards, J.A.Lawton And did a number of years with Ferrari formula one building bodies by hand for them.
    later he co founded ELFIN, so he knows a thing or two about cars.
    After restoring a few old 20's and 30's Chryslers John gave it all away at about 80 years of age but you can't keep a good man down.
    A year or so back he decided to get a Vedette (coz there was none in the Chrysler Restorers Club), and wound up with a really early one.
    As he has Pakinsons and cant weld anymore he asked me to help.
    So I thought I might try to find more info from the Aussie frogs.
    Any help for the old mate would be appreciated.
    Thanks Graham

Fellow Frogger!

Default early aussie vedette

Hi Graham,

Should it be a 1957 Vedette then it is a rare find indeed. The Vedette "Versailles" first arrived in Australia in 1956 and the difference between the '56 and "57 models are minimal and mainly indentified by the front bonnet badge and the tail lamp assembly. the 1955-1956 have a "V" emblem on the bonnet edge with a rectangular badge immediatly above with the tail lamp lense being in equal size of red and white, also the first of the imports were 6 Volt. The 1957 model was slighly revised in having a winged "V" on the bonnet with the letter "S" above, the tail lamp assembly was heavily chromed with slim vertical red and white lense. I am led to believe that when Wesfarmers were the Simca distributors in Western Australia only 10 "Versailles" were imported. I have attached a couple of pictures of my 1957 "Versailles" which which was a Victorian car before it came into my hands, I have had the car for about 18 years and vowed not to start the restoration until I had aquired all the missing bits, which two years back I had finally assembled all but the two front over-riders and one missing wheel rim so decided to start the restoration before my years ran out, pleased to say I now have those bits and the restoration should be complete by Christmas (really only the electrics and interior to finish).

I must admire the skills and history of your friend and of his willingness to tackle the Vedette, but I must also issue a warning that unless the car is complete and in fairly straight condition I would give it second thoughts, parts are extremely difficult to come by ....... "Worldwide" and getting expensive.

Regards

John

JP - SIMCA MAN
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Early aussie vedette-versailles20.jpg   Early aussie vedette-versailles25.jpg   Early aussie vedette-versailles23.jpg  

Fellow Frogger!

Default early aussie vedette

Hi Graham,

Any chance of you posting a picture of your friends early Vedette?

JP - SIMCA MAN

G'day John, just picked up on this thread and saw the pics of the Vedette. I have to say well done Sir! She looks great, I cannot wait to see her in the flesh....Bravo!
    1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4
    Simca Arondes (travaux en cours)
    Lotus Elise Club Racer '12

In WA? Join THE club ! www.frenchandfantastic.com.au

John,

Like Justin, I am wowed by those photos - look forward to seeing the car next year. Wow!

Cheers

JohnW
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by beetles bailey View Post
    Hi there, Graham here re 57 Vedette from an earlier post.
    My 85 year old friend has (in his words) one of about 7 (i think he said)of the first Vedettes to come to Oz ,for evaluation he believes.
    John is a coachbuilder from the old days of T.J.Richards, J.A.Lawton And did a number of years with Ferrari formula one building bodies by hand for them.
    later he co founded ELFIN, so he knows a thing or two about cars.
    After restoring a few old 20's and 30's Chryslers John gave it all away at about 80 years of age but you can't keep a good man down.
    A year or so back he decided to get a Vedette (coz there was none in the Chrysler Restorers Club), and wound up with a really early one.
    As he has Pakinsons and cant weld anymore he asked me to help.
    So I thought I might try to find more info from the Aussie frogs.
    Any help for the old mate would be appreciated.
    Thanks Graham
    That is so interesting. I wonder if he knows/remembers Bill Murrell, who designed the Tonsley Plant layout in Adelaide. Bill is a friend of ours here in Perth, of similar age.

If he co-founded Elfin, "knows a thing or two about cars" doesn't do it justice. Another WOW!

Best of luck with information - I don't know enough to help with this one, that is for sure. I do recall a Vedette belonging to a friend of my parents in the 1960s. Nice car, and conventional but very different, both at once.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information