Melbourne Dyna?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 43
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Melbourne Dyna?

  1. #1
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    rosevale/tasmania
    Posts
    2,580

    Default Melbourne Dyna?

    I understand that there's a Panhard Dyna in Melbourne somewhere. If anyone knows who owns it & would be willing to PM me some sort of contact information, then I'd appreciate it. I'm interested in trying to persuade the owner to take it to the Melbourne French Car Festival in October so that I can see one.

    cheers! Peter

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,080

    Default

    Alternatively, or additionally, come to Perth for October 22nd!

    They certainly are "things of beauty". A joy forever? Quite possibly.

    I should add that I have never seen aluminium polished like this!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Melbourne Dyna?-perths-new-panhard.jpg  
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  3. #3
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    rosevale/tasmania
    Posts
    2,580

    Default

    sorry John, thanks but I loathe and detest travel. Nothing particular by way of opposition to Perth (except the heat) but I hope to go to my grave having never gone there :-)

    Would your Perth Dyna guy know the Melbourne owner?

    cheers! Peter

  4. #4
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,080

    Default

    Can't say I blame you! I'm suffering from a surfeit of travel right now.

    I'll ask him. He imported his last year and he has been in Oz for many years. The Panhard owners are a small group and I imagine are linked by the few parts suppliers - in his case a fascinating guy in London. I've been meaning to get in touch since we chatted last FCD. The road to hell etc etc.

    Cheers
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  5. #5
    1000+ Posts Wildebeest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Perth Western Australia
    Posts
    2,627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    sorry John, thanks but I loathe and detest travel. Nothing particular by way of opposition to Perth (except the heat) but I hope to go to my grave having never gone there :-)

    Would your Perth Dyna guy know the Melbourne owner?

    cheers! Peter

    Peter,
    I don't think you will be missed.

  6. #6
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Bungendore NSW
    Posts
    470

    Default

    I hate travel too but a drive is alright. You can get there in just under 3 days and back in the same so you are only away a week. I have been over in a 203, a 403 wagon, a 504 wagon, a 604, the 406 coupe, a Moke and a couple of holden things, probably over 30 times in all, so it is not all bad. Much easier now it is sealed all the way.

  7. #7
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    rosevale/tasmania
    Posts
    2,580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest View Post
    Peter,
    I don't think you will be missed.
    As you might predict, the feeling is mutual.

  8. #8
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    rosevale/tasmania
    Posts
    2,580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Car 76 View Post
    I hate travel too but a drive is alright. You can get there in just under 3 days and back in the same so you are only away a week. I have been over in a 203, a 403 wagon, a 504 wagon, a 604, the 406 coupe, a Moke and a couple of holden things, probably over 30 times in all, so it is not all bad. Much easier now it is sealed all the way.
    I think that I'd rather spend a week fanging around country roads in Tasmania.

  9. #9
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    rosevale/tasmania
    Posts
    2,580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Can't say I blame you! I'm suffering from a surfeit of travel right now.

    I'll ask him. He imported his last year and he has been in Oz for many years. The Panhard owners are a small group and I imagine are linked by the few parts suppliers - in his case a fascinating guy in London. I've been meaning to get in touch since we chatted last FCD. The road to hell etc etc.

    Cheers
    Thanks John

  10. #10
    VIP Sponsor David Cavanagh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Romsey, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    4,687

    Default

    I have a mate who has one. It's unrestored and I took it an FCF maybe 10 years ago on a trailer. He's an importer with a passion for the unusual so I'm not sure he still has it. I'll ask him.
    David Cavanagh

    FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

    03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

    34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042


    [email protected]

    https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

  11. #11
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,080

    Default

    There are one or two more, unrestored, in WA. One turned up at our FCD a few years back. Toasted but complete....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Melbourne Dyna?-pa060683.jpg  
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  12. #12
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    rosevale/tasmania
    Posts
    2,580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    I have a mate who has one. It's unrestored and I took it an FCF maybe 10 years ago on a trailer. He's an importer with a passion for the unusual so I'm not sure he still has it. I'll ask him.
    Excellent David. Please do so inquire & if all looks promising then Ken would, I predict, be pleased to offer it under-cover display space.

    cheers! Peter

  13. #13
    VIP Sponsor David Cavanagh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Romsey, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    4,687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    Excellent David. Please do so inquire & if all looks promising then Ken would, I predict, be pleased to offer it under-cover display space.

    cheers! Peter
    I spoke to him today and he'd sold it to a bloke in Qld a few years ago.
    David Cavanagh

    FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

    03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

    34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042


    [email protected]

    https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

  14. #14
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    rosevale/tasmania
    Posts
    2,580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    I spoke to him today and he'd sold it to a bloke in Qld a few years ago.
    bugger!
    thanks aanyway; see you at the Williamstown display perhaps.

    cheers! Peter

  15. #15
    VIP Sponsor David Cavanagh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Romsey, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    4,687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    bugger!
    thanks aanyway; see you at the Williamstown display perhaps.

    cheers! Peter
    Yep I'll be there.
    David Cavanagh

    FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

    03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

    34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042


    [email protected]

    https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

  16. #16
    Fellow Frogger! degruch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Croydon, Victoria
    Posts
    440

    Default

    I missed out on a LHD Dyna with a PL17 bonnet about 10 years ago, outbid on eBay at the last second. I believe it was a Victorian or NSW car, never seen or heard of since.
    Current French: Non
    Current Other: 2011 Nissan Dualis Ti, 2009 Ford WB Fiesta, 1965 Nissan CSP311 Silvia, 1968 Bond Equipe GT

    Past Frogs: 1962 Renault R4, 1959 Renault Floride, 2005 Peugeot 206 GTi 180 (RIP)

  17. #17
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Castlemaine VIC
    Posts
    315

    Default

    I'm just in the process of buying a British car out in the sticks of Victoria. In the shed also; is the weirdest car I have seen for a while. It's a Panhard and running downward on the front of the bonnet is the name; Dyna.
    The headlights are rather odd. They look like a long "separate" item "stuck onto the bonnet. They aren't inbuilt into the gaurds but shaped to the bonnet and "stuck on".
    The engine looks horizontally opposed and is air cooled. Looks like twin cylinders.
    Don't know if I'm on the correct thread for this information.
    I wouldn't know what these cars are worth. I could make an offer, I suppose,
    when I pick up the other cars next week.
    Michael Paas

  18. #18
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,080

    Default

    You are about to generate some excitement, I'd hope! They are just remarkable cars.

    Thanks for letting us all know...
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  19. #19
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Castlemaine VIC
    Posts
    315

    Default

    I've just googled Panhard and it looks the same as the 1949 Dyna X.
    Now you haven't helped me yet. I know "nothing" about these cars except what I've googled. I notice that it has an aluminium body. Sounds good.
    Does it have a chassis like a 2CV and is it prone to rust?
    The motor is where it should be and yes, it's under cover. In unrestored condition is the value similar to a 2CV which might be $3000 to $4000.
    I'm asking for this info, as if I do make an offer on the car; it needs to be realistic to avoid a knock back.
    Are these "Desirable" cars or are they "dead in the water" like early 50's 2CV's.
    We hope to go back within a week.
    I've just remembered, written vertically on the front of the bonnet it says DYNA.
    Thanks --- Michael
    Last edited by IDear; 8th November 2016 at 12:22 AM.

  20. #20
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    rosevale/tasmania
    Posts
    2,580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IDear View Post
    I've just googled Panhard and it looks the same as the 1949 Dyna X.
    Now you haven't helped me yet. I know "nothing" about these cars except what I've googled. I notice that it has an aluminium body. Sounds good.
    Does it have a chassis like a 2CV and is it prone to rust?
    The motor is where it should be and yes, it's under cover. In unrestored condition is the value similar to a 2CV which might be $3000 to $4000.
    I'm asking for this info, as if I do make an offer on the car; it needs to be realistic to avoid a knock back.
    Are these "Desirable" cars or are they "dead in the water" like early 50's 2CV's.
    We hope to go back within a week.
    I've just remembered, written vertically on the front of the bonnet it says DYNA.
    Thanks --- Michael
    As noted in another thread, Gerry Freed is the resident expert on these beasties. I'll email him to draw his attention to this thread & ask him to PM you.

    cheers! Peter

  21. #21
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,080

    Default

    I reckon the Dyna is a wonderfully interesting vehicle. Citroen 2CVs are way over-priced IMHO (that's demand and iconic status for you), which is not to denigrate them for a moment. They were designed as very cheap rural transport and succeeded admirably. But the Dyna Panhard is a small, serious, family car.

    There is a small but active Panhard group AFAIK and I imagine Jerry knows how to get into it.

    If you are remotely captivated, this is one very rare opportunity indeed.

    Just my take.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Melbourne Dyna?-panhard-engine-1.jpg   Melbourne Dyna?-perths-new-panhard.jpg  
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  22. #22
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Castlemaine VIC
    Posts
    315

    Default

    Gerry sent me some information on this rare car which I thank him for.
    Thankyou all for sharing your opinions and thoughts. I think I am of the opinion to steer clear. I've had another look at the car and it looks to be riddled with rust in the floor.
    Michael

  23. #23
    1000+ Posts gerry freed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lauderdale, Tasmania
    Posts
    2,878

    Default

    It is possible to fabricate a floor as I did for my 24CT but it is a complex design and took more manhours than I care to count. It is a good warning to look at the structural parts of the frame. If they are rusted I would advise that the wreck has gone too far. Unfortunately it came from an era when steel was in short suppply in France and of indifferent quality. Priority of supply was given to the three major manufacturers of small cars and the rest were left with .....
    If still turning, the engine and gearbox would have some value in France for restoration, as parts of the smaller capacity engines are now rare.
    If anyone is interested I can help you access the resources of the DCPL in France.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

  24. #24
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Castlemaine VIC
    Posts
    315

    Default

    All rather fascinating. The Dyna has been promised to someone but I doubt that he will take up the offer.
    We'll see how things progress. All the Best Michael

  25. #25
    Fellow Frogger! degruch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Croydon, Victoria
    Posts
    440

    Default

    I would be keen Michael...if you, or the other party aren't purchasing. Timing is not good, but these things don't appear every day! Please feel free to PM me if you like.
    Current French: Non
    Current Other: 2011 Nissan Dualis Ti, 2009 Ford WB Fiesta, 1965 Nissan CSP311 Silvia, 1968 Bond Equipe GT

    Past Frogs: 1962 Renault R4, 1959 Renault Floride, 2005 Peugeot 206 GTi 180 (RIP)

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •