Melbourne Dyna? - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Melbourne Dyna?

Fellow Frogger!

Default Melbourne dyna

Have a feeling that the car is not the model you guys are referring to. From what the description that IDEAR has given I would be inclined to say it is the DYNA PANHARD 1946 -1954. This is a very small car not unlike the Renault 4CV and while it had a steel body the four doors and bonnet were of aluminium. The first model of 1946 was powered by a 610cc 24 bhp engine but this was quickly rose to 750 and then 850cc with the power output increasing to 38 bhp. Restoring a Panhard can be quite difficult as they were one of the few car manufacturers that made their components in-house and now its difficult to find the parts, they also have things Iike roller bearings in the engine so I believe.

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Melbourne Dyna?-panhard-dynaoo2.jpg   Melbourne Dyna?-panhard-engine.jpg   Melbourne Dyna?-panhard001.jpg  

1000+ Posts

Interesting.
    Yes, not for the merely generically technically competent I gather. I do wish that the French had not generally abandoned the "we like it quirky" tendency of the past. Mind you, the Twizy & Twingo & maybe the Cactus have to count as a bit quirky.

cheers! Peter

Quote Originally Posted by panhard View Post
    Have a feeling that the car is not the model you guys are referring to. From what the description that IDEAR has given I would be inclined to say it is the DYNA PANHARD 1946 -1954. This is a very small car not unlike the Renault 4CV and while it had a steel body the four doors and bonnet were of aluminium. The first model of 1946 was powered by a 610cc 24 bhp engine but this was quickly rose to 750 and then 850cc with the power output increasing to 38 bhp. Restoring a Panhard can be quite difficult as they were one of the few car manufacturers that made their components in-house and now its difficult to find the parts, they also have things Iike roller bearings in the engine so I believe.
    Yes, the engine uses roller bearings but the gearbox is much more of a challenge. It uses a variety of different needle roller bearings no longer manufactured. Both include many design solutions never used elsewhere and so a mechanic however experienced outside the Panhard world is unlikely even to recognise them. For example in the hydraulic tappet assembly unscrewing an innocuous nut releases a 4mm ball bearing and a calibrated spring, never to be seen again on the workshop floor. The spring tension is mission critical to the tappet assembly. Inside the oil distribution channels in the crankcase lurk bronze clips which act as non return valves. Failure to find, clean and reseat these correctly when rebuilding can lead to early engine failure.
    Piston selection and combustion chamber balancing are black art in this engine. A number of special tools are need to open the engine and to reinstall the valve gear.
    The gearbox, like the engine is of cast aluminium. Disassembly require the use of carefully positioned heat to release bearings. One of the special tools is a gas burner assembly to do just that. It is east to distort the casting and wreck the box. Assembly requires a set of shims of various sizes and thicknesses, several of which go behind heat installed bearings. So you need a set of dummy bearings that are a sliding fit to set the clearances.
    If you do not care too much about authenticity and have a good workshop and metrology, you can machine both engine and gearbox castings to accept modern bearings and oil seals.
    In my view, before attacking one of these beasts it is worthwhile to make the investment in a training course given by engineers dedicated to preserving the Panhard know-how. To do that you need to brush up your French, join the DCPL (Dynamic Club Panhard et Levassor) and spend a long weekend in Limoges. These are annual and this year's are on now. See Bienvenue sur le site du DCPL
    To see some pictures of the internals of these cars have a look at
    panhard
    This picture
    panhard
    shows some of the fun. You can see journals for roller bearings; needles for end thrust control, tapered roller for the hypoid pinion, a ball race for an output shaft, some of the shims......
    Last edited by gerry freed; 18th November 2016 at 11:32 AM.
    JohnW and petitepoupťe like this.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Fellow Frogger!

Default Melbourne panhard

"Thanks" Gerry. Nice to get the good oil from the real Guru who knows what they are talking about.

JP SIMCA MAN

Have a feeling that the car is not the model you guys are referring to.
    Dyna X, Dyna Z, Dyna Junior, PL17, 24BT, 24CT, DB, CD, I'll take any of them! In fact, I'm still looking gor a Hartnett, the car that started me on Panhards in the first place!
    Current French: Non
    Current Other: 2011 Nissan Dualis Ti, 2009 Ford WB Fiesta, 1965 Nissan CSP311 Silvia, 1968 Bond Equipe GT

Past Frogs: 1962 Renault R4, 1959 Renault Floride, 2005 Peugeot 206 GTi 180 (RIP)

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by degruch View Post
    Dyna X, Dyna Z, Dyna Junior, PL17, 24BT, 24CT, DB, CD, I'll take any of them! In fact, I'm still looking gor a Hartnett, the car that started me on Panhards in the first place!
    Good on you! I lust after Gerry's 24CT (sitting temporarily in one of my garage spaces - never mind why) but am acutely aware that ownership of it in not feasible in my circumstances (neither my mechanic nor I could cope with it). It sits neatly by my Djet (both unique in Australia). I suggest that you depart for France & do courses while there are still people alive to offer them.

cheers! Peter
    JohnW likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Melbourne dyna

This is one of the unrestored Dyna in WA, The changed hands a couple of times a few years back and I have lost track of it since. The car had been imported from an African country and while being complete was in poor condition, the body had rust, looked like hail damage, rat eaten interior and was anyone's guess what the mechanics were like, the best thing about it was the factory workshop manual.>
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    There are one or two more, unrestored, in WA. One turned up at our FCD a few years back. Toasted but complete....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Melbourne Dyna?-p01.jpg  

Fascinating Gerry. Just fascinating. Trust Tassie is treating you well.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    Good on you! I lust after Gerry's 24CT (sitting temporarily in one of my garage spaces - never mind why) but am acutely aware that ownership of it in not feasible in my circumstances (neither my mechanic nor I could cope with it). It sits neatly by my Djet (both unique in Australia). I suggest that you depart for France & do courses while there are still people alive to offer them.

cheers! Peter
    I share your lust. Amazing devices.
    tresbon2 likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Fascinating Gerry. Just fascinating. Trust Tassie is treating you well.

Cheers
    There are worse places but as they cover 99.5% of the earth's land mass, I can't list them all.
    JohnW, FIVEDOOR and bluey504 like this.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    There are worse places but as they cover 99.5% of the earth's land mass, I can't list them all.
    goodness! I wasn't aware that Tasmania was big enough to cover .5% of Earth's land mass.

cheers! Peter

It feels that way driving across it with an 848 cc motor.

Ady

Hello Gerry, I'm in the UK and look in to this site once or twice a year. Just wanted to say well done with your car , glad to see you are out and about with it, and enjoying it immensely by the sound of it ! I have passed on my my PL17 which I put back on the road after standing for 20 years ( I too had to do a new floor and make sills etc ) but I now have a CT to rebuild. I can't do anything to it until I retire and move house next July but am looking forward to that. I used the PL every day for 5 years to and from work. Lots of problems but great fun. Love these cars to death ! All the best Ady
    JohnW likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

I must get back to talking with the owner of the rusty Dyna. A person had first option to buy the car. I wonder if he took it up?
    I say again, it's a crazy looking car.
    Reading the comments so devoted to these mysterious contraptions makes me think that one needs to be a bit crazy to love them.
    Michael

Fellow Frogger!

Default Melbourne dyna

Under the bonnet pictures of the WA Panhard.

This is one of the unrestored Dyna in WA, The changed hands a couple of times a few years back and I have lost track of it since. The car had been imported from an African country and while being complete was in poor condition, the body had rust, looked like hail damage, rat eaten interior and was anyone's guess what the mechanics were like, the best thing about it was the factory workshop manual.>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Melbourne Dyna?-panard01.jpg   Melbourne Dyna?-panard02.jpg   Melbourne Dyna?-panard03.jpg  
    JohnW likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by IDear View Post
    I must get back to talking with the owner of the rusty Dyna. A person had first option to buy the car. I wonder if he took it up?
    I say again, it's a crazy looking car.
    Reading the comments so devoted to these mysterious contraptions makes me think that one needs to be a bit crazy to love them.
    Michael
    Any news Michael? I'm happy to stand in the crazy queue also! I've moved to Victoria since I PM'd you years ago, so I'm closer to it now as well
    Current French: Non
    Current Other: 2011 Nissan Dualis Ti, 2009 Ford WB Fiesta, 1965 Nissan CSP311 Silvia, 1968 Bond Equipe GT

Past Frogs: 1962 Renault R4, 1959 Renault Floride, 2005 Peugeot 206 GTi 180 (RIP)

Fellow Frogger!

If either of you are really serious - I do know about a Panhard - Dyna that is available for the right buyer here in Melbourne. It is complete and would need a bit of work to get it back on the road. Was red - now blue - so a re-spray for originality. Mechanically ok. I know the owner well and he knows that they are valuable and would be seeking a good price for it. PM me if you want more details. Hawk.( Ted Cross )

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    If either of you are really serious - I do know about a Panhard - Dyna that is available for the right buyer here in Melbourne. It is complete and would need a bit of work to get it back on the road. Was red - now blue - so a re-spray for originality. Mechanically ok. I know the owner well and he knows that they are valuable and would be seeking a good price for it. PM me if you want more details. Hawk.( Ted Cross )
    They are not that pricey. see
    panhard dyna z d'occasion - Recherche de voiture d'occasion - Le Parking
    8000 euros would see you in a respectable one with no restoration necessary.
    JohnW likes this.

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information