spotted for sale 58 Deutsch Bonnet HBR-5
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default spotted for sale 58 Deutsch Bonnet HBR-5

ON BRING A TRAILER ,HAS A 750 PANHARD ENGINE ,FIBER GLASS BODY ,HIGHEST BID $7300 US what year did they start making Djets presume its the same Bonnet

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

sorry its in the under 20 grand section ,Rene Bonnets version before the Djet

Quote Originally Posted by pugwash View Post
    ON BRING A TRAILER ,HAS A 750 PANHARD ENGINE ,FIBER GLASS BODY ,HIGHEST BID $7300 US what year did they start making Djets presume its the same Bonnet
    I know...and it is killing me that it wasn't put on the market 6 months ago when I had the cash! What's worse, the owner is an acquaintance of mine...even worse, a friend of mine who knows him told me he found another and traded it for $5k about 12 months back...argh!!!

Anyways, it's good buying at the moment. The HBR-5 has a fabricated steel chassis of DB's own design (considerable Le Mans heritage) with a mildly tweaked Panhard Dyna twin up front. Fibreglass body meant lightweight, so decent performance for the period...but cute as a bug when restored properly. This one is a perfect candidate and the owner would fix you up with spares you need, and more.

Bonnet released the Djet in '63 from memory, later becoming the Matra Djet in '65...someone here's bound to know for sure.
    Current French: Non
    Current Other: 2011 Nissan Dualis Ti, 2009 Ford WB Fiesta, 1965 Nissan CSP311 Silvia, 1968 Bond Equipe GT

Past Frogs: 1962 Renault R4, 1959 Renault Floride, 2005 Peugeot 206 GTi 180 (RIP)

In short. Bonnet used some workshop space in the Matra factory. Matra built the bodies for him as well. Good engineer, bad accountant, he was soon in deep financial trouble. In 1964 Matra took over instead of closing him down and then the name changed to Matra Djet. Matra employed an engineer from Simca to do some refining work but the basics remained the same.

First mid-engined car, 2nd was the De Tomaso and then came Lamborgini.

Another story I read somewhere on the Web was that in 1968 Renault withdrew their support from Matra and decided to go to Alpine because it could create conflict in competition. Many people think that it was the wrong decision because given the opportunity the Matra would have been the better handling car with its mid-engine and true swing-arm independant suspension.

Matra then introduced the next model, the 530. It was hopeless because they eventually found support from Ford in Europe and brought the 530 out with the Ford V4 engine.

I don't think that was a good performing engine.

Frans.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Cheers Frans!

I know DB were powering along, taking victory after victory in their LeMans class, until Charles Deutsch and Rene Bonnet had a disagreement over the future of their association with Panhard. Bonnet proved to be right to want to jump ship, although I wonder what a mid engined Panhard twin or Citroen GS would have done. Ultimately, the GS lead to Panhard's demise, their factory providing the additional production capacity required for Citroen's new model.

Whilst Bonnet pushed ahead with Renault, Deutsch released the ultimate Panhard based derivative, the CD-Panhard. This disappeared along with Panhard in 1966, when Deutsch briefly associated with Peugeot for LeMans.

I guess the whole Bonnet/Matra thing was in its infancy when Renault chose to associate with the much more established Alpine concern, and their combined rally successes would have justified the association. With Renault in bed with Alpine, CD in bed with Peugeot, Simca in bed with CG (post-Abarth) and Panhard gone by the late 1960's, Matra were short of domestic options (I guess Citroen were not concerned about track racing?)...Ford had already subbed their V4 industrial engine out to Saab with success, so probably an easy choice for the 530.

I guess the 530's dynamics matched its looks and nothing much happened at Matra until the Simca based Muena came along in the mid-1970's.
    Current French: Non
    Current Other: 2011 Nissan Dualis Ti, 2009 Ford WB Fiesta, 1965 Nissan CSP311 Silvia, 1968 Bond Equipe GT

Past Frogs: 1962 Renault R4, 1959 Renault Floride, 2005 Peugeot 206 GTi 180 (RIP)

Thread Information