fuel pump worries

Read the Bosch number on the pump you have and check it a 3-4.5 bar pump.

I recall some re-plumbing is necessary , so check with Harrison how he did the mods.

Check that ground and +ve is on the correct terminals of the pump. Check for suction air leaks, blocked filter. If you look at the spec sheet most pumps have different diameter terminals to avoid mix up. But double check polarity.

If the pump is way out of spec or running in reverse or has leaks it will cavitate and thus be noisy. I believe roller pumps still pump in reverse, just not as well.

I wouldn't race out and buy a new pump until you have explored all of the above. So called professionals aren't nearly as thorough as the owner of a classic car!

Interesting idea, so in reverse the fuel supply and return lines would also have to be reversed?

Interesting idea, so in reverse the fuel supply and return lines would also have to be reversed?

Being a roller pump it should pump in the "same" direction, but not as well.

It's next to impossible to swap the inlet and outlets: they are different diameters.

It's a guess- something to check.

Being a roller pump it should pump in the "same" direction, but not as well.

It's next to impossible to swap the inlet and outlets: they are different diameters.

It's a guess- something to check.

ok I have checked the set up and its not a reverse power issue, the - & + are correct.

The Bosch 0580464070 is 3 bar which is more than the required 28.5psi = 1.9 bar and 130l/hr is more than the required 60-80 L/hr.

However my existing unit has exactly the same dimensions as the Bosch 0580464070 so I have a sneaking suspicion it is already the Bosch unit. So its maybe a blocked filter or a defective unit.

Its a process of elimination I guess.

ok I have checked the set up and its not a reverse power issue, the - & + are correct.

The Bosch 0580464070 is 3 bar which is more than the required 28.5psi = 1.9 bar and 130l/hr is more than the required 60-80 L/hr.

However my existing unit has exactly the same dimensions as the Bosch 0580464070 so I have a sneaking suspicion it is already the Bosch unit. So its maybe a blocked filter or a defective unit.

Its a process of elimination I guess.

Just ask Harrison to send you some images of what he did.

IIRC the Citroen pump had a bypass valve inbuilt. The Bosch ones don't. So one hose needs to blocked off and two used.

I'm wondering if something is amiss there?

Yep, most fault finding elimination if it can't be measured or deduced.

This is what you want to achieve. Just block off the return line....that simple. I know I have more pictures on a USB stick somewhere but can't fiind them right now. Will have them up by the weekend.

See the end of that thread for pictures
http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89141

I like the pictures. I have to say the person who installed my unit and filter did a very nice job. see pictures. I thinking its the Bosch unit that has let the team down. By the way your filter is the same as mine but where do I get a replacement one of these?

Attachments

• Fuel pump.jpg
    Fuel pump.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 281
  • Fuel filter.jpg
    Fuel filter.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 260
I wonder whether the filter is an issue here? Most systems you see have a strainer at the pickup and the filter located after the pump. In this case, the filter is before the pump. I know the original D setup had the filter on the pump intake side, but it may be that the original D filter, which is still available, has different filtering properties. As a test, you could consider bypassing that filter with hose and a cheap inline filter just to see how much the noise changes, if at all.

harrison has his filter before the pump, same as mine and his is not noisy apparently.

Update;
I have replaced the pump and it's just as noisy. I have insulated everything as much as possible with rubber with little improvement. I now think there must be a blockage, probably the pickup strainer in the tank.

Has anyone cleaned out there tank and the pickup strainer? Is this an easy process?

Update;
I have replaced the pump and it's just as noisy. I have insulated everything as much as possible with rubber with little improvement. I now think there must be a blockage, probably the pickup strainer in the tank.

Has anyone cleaned out there tank and the pickup strainer? Is this an easy process?

Try running the pump with a piece of neoprene hose sucking fuel from a tin of fuel. This is a conclusive test of a blocked suction line. Also check for air leaks in suction side.

Adrian,

As you'll read in my other post, I finally succeded in renewing the fuel pressure regulator, and that solved my idle and other problems. One of the associated benefits is also that the pump is also quieter again. You cannot hear it at all with engine running.
Next week end I'll try and post a short movie on youtube of my installation if it an help you.

Cheers

original pump is now re-manufactured and available for a cool Euro 449 !:eek:

Item number 190499212852 on ebay.

Adrian,

As you'll read in my other post, I finally succeded in renewing the fuel pressure regulator, and that solved my idle and other problems. One of the associated benefits is also that the pump is also quieter again. You cannot hear it at all with engine running.
Next week end I'll try and post a short movie on youtube of my installation if it an help you.

Cheers

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98573

Good reading it is too. And a restriction in the return line from the regulator could cause the pump to pump like crazy and may well be the cause of the noise !

Update; great news I have resolved the problem.
I removed the tank plug to clean the pickup filter, which has had the copper rings removed, by a previous owner. At the same time I discovered paint flakes in the fuel and sitting on the bottom of the tank around the plug. I removed as much of the paint flakes as possible. Then I replace the fuel filter with a Drift performance filter D1-FF373. The fuel pump now makes no noise! Hallelujah!
I will be reinstating the pickup filter too.

So a new electronic Bosch fuel pump does not need to be noisy and if it is you have a blockage or fuel restriction via the tank or filter.

So now my question is where has the paint flakes come from? Do these tanks have paint linings?

In the DS23 I've been working on lately, the pump is barely audible, just a faint hum, even without the sill trimming. Your pump was obviously cavitating, which will make a lot of noise. Maybe, the paint flakes have entered the tank from some contaminated fuel at some point or perhaps it's previously had a tank lining of some sort that's now flaking. It would have been bare metal inside when new, presumably lightly tinned.

Update; great news I have resolved the problem.
I removed the tank plug to clean the pickup filter, which has had the copper rings removed, by a previous owner. At the same time I discovered paint flakes in the fuel and sitting on the bottom of the tank around the plug. I removed as much of the paint flakes as possible. Then I replace the fuel filter with a Drift performance filter D1-FF373. The fuel pump now makes no noise! Hallelujah!
I will be reinstating the pickup filter too.

So a new electronic Bosch fuel pump does not need to be noisy and if it is you have a blockage or fuel restriction via the tank or filter.

So now my question is where has the paint flakes come from? Do these tanks have paint linings?

Good on ya ! :cheers:

My DS 23IE, seems also to be happy to run smoothly with her new pump and pressure regulator.
Am now concentrating on cosmetics. Although today even though the car rose nicely , the rear stayed hard, on both left and right. I can't believe both spheres died at exactly the same time, so must be something else. Any ideas?

The spheres are either blown or flat Philippe.
Your fronts probably will not be far behind when the car is driven any distance or on a regular basis.