Latest In The War On Oil Surge

PeterT

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I know, I know, I really should be going the dry sump route. However, I just don't have the time or the $$$ at present to do that. So as in interim I decided to buy an accumulator so I could race this season with peace of mind. They really are a great idea for overcoming short term oil surge. At approx. $190 (including mounting brackets) from Summit I couldn't go past the 1.5L Moroso. I've also purchased an electric solenoid kit to replace the manual valve, which will turn on at 200rpm, via the ECU.

It's going mount behind the headlight and plumb directly into the oil gallery on an XU10 via an M16-#10 nipple. As soon as the engine starts cranking, the ECU will turn on the solenoid, feeding high pressure oil into the gallery. This will allow the accumulator to prime the engine as well.

They've been around for some time and have recently gained more popularity from the Lotus Elise racing. So touch wood, it will chug along in background, as a back up to the extended sump, baffling etc. I already run.

Attachments

• acumulator1.jpg
    acumulator1.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 635
  • acumulator2.jpg
    acumulator2.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 468
Heavy 205

Peter,

you will have to go on diet to compensate for the extra weight you are adding :) (to the car).

So where does your oil pressure sensor go?

In the other hole.

You're right about the weight Robert. When are you free to shred some more Kg's?

Attachments

• oil pressure gauge and switch.jpg
    oil pressure gauge and switch.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 1,550
Ok, seems my engine has two different sensors for oil then... What I thought was the oil pressure sensor may not be...

Tony.

I know, I know, I really should be going the dry sump route. However, I just don't have the time or the $$$ at present to do that. So as in interim I decided to buy an accumulator so I could race this season with peace of mind. They really are a great idea for overcoming short term oil surge. At approx. $190 (including mounting brackets) from Summit I couldn't go past the 1.5L Moroso. I've also purchased an electric solenoid kit to replace the manual valve, which will turn on at 200rpm, via the ECU.

It's going mount behind the headlight and plumb directly into the oil gallery on an XU10 via an M16-#10 nipple. As soon as the engine starts cranking, the ECU will turn on the solenoid, feeding high pressure oil into the gallery. This will allow the accumulator to prime the engine as well.

They've been around for some time and have recently gained more popularity from the Lotus Elise racing. So touch wood, it will chug along in background, as a back up to the extended sump, baffling etc. I already run.

Be very interested to know how well it works.

Thinking of getting one for the Fuego once I plumb in the oil cooler. The Dourvin 4's have several plugs in the main oil line so install will be pretty easy.

I don't have an ecu to trigger the solenoid but I should be able to hook the solenoid up to the gas switch so that it open when cranking or running (like the gas solenoid does).

Would there be any issue with just an ignition + trigger for the solenoid, so you can turn the ignition on for a second or two and let the accumulator prime the engine before cranking?

the explanation on the moroso website doesnt show a solenoid and, as i read it, suggests it is an entirely passive system.

i take it that you are intending to trap pressurised oil in the accumulator, for the next time the motor is started?

ta

the explanation on the moroso website doesnt show a solenoid and, as i read it, suggests it is an entirely passive system.

i take it that you are intending to trap pressurised oil in the accumulator, for the next time the motor is started?

ta

Yeah, the solenoid is an additional item that closes on shutdown and allows the accumulator to store pressure and then the solenoid opens again on start up and allows the contents of the accumulator to prime the engine before starting.

The other option is to put a manual ball valve in the system to achieve the same thing manually. probably a viable option on a race car but a pita on a daily.

On a related note, do you think East/West cars are more prone to oil surge issues?

I had assumed that because their length was in inline with cornering forces, that it allowed more area for the oil to surge into unless properly baffled.

There's also pressure actuated switches available, which turn on the solenoid when the oil pressure drops to a set level. eg 25, 40 or 60 psi.

On a related note, do you think East/West cars are more prone to oil surge issues?

I had assumed that because their length was in inline with cornering forces, that it allowed more area for the oil to surge into unless properly baffled.

That certainly sounds feasible. I used to get oil surge a lot in my morris (never knew the term but when cornering hard the oil light used to come on, and I could see why) It usually only happened though when the oil needed topping up.

I've never noticed the problem in the S16 (even though I corner much more quickly than I ever did in the morris) but I guess that there was around 15 years of driving it where the oil pressure gauge didn't work unless I gave the dash a hard hit with my fist, and then only for 30 seconds or so). :rolleyes: I finally fixed that when I pulled out the dash cluster recently (unnecessarily it turned out) when I put in a new speedo cable.

Tony.

Guess I should check the site but what is the recovery time for the accumulator and if it dumps all its oil into the system will the higher than normal level in the sump be a problem?

Paul

“A straight is merely the distance between two corners.”

Current: Peugeot 205 GTi Mi16 1987
Peugeot 205 Si, one red one silver, both 1991.
Peugeot 504 Wagon, V6 and 5 speed gearbox.
Isuzu (Holden) Rodeo, 4WD dual cab, extended chassis.
Past: Goliath, Isuzu Bellett, Austin A30, Peugeot 203, 403, 404, 504,505.
Subaru 4WD wagon, Toyota Hilux Dual Cab Diesel 4WD.

The accumulator is finally installed and ready for action tomorrow. I think the electric valve is leaking but it won't stop it functioning. It turns on at 200rpm and the pressure rises in the accumulator to 70psi, but when switched off it drops slowly. I thought it should hold 70psi indefinitely. It takes approx 10 secs to dump 1.5 quart normally.

Attachments

• accumulator4.jpg
    accumulator4.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,056
I think the electric valve is leaking but it won't stop it functioning.
I assume you mean an internal leak/bleed off?

If so, bugger. That's a bit disappointing as a cold start/pre oil proposition.

Is it supposed to keep pressure indefinitely?

Any difference price/spec/quality between the moroso units and the accusump ones?

Looks neat Peter. The style of solenoid valve you have is unlikely to hold oil pressure indefinitely but should make a big difference when required to overcome oil surge.

I have another sump pan on the way from the UK so I can get my new engine right ready for install and only have to swap the pump over to get the dry sump swapped from one engine to the other.

It is expensive horse power, but I'm convinced that the dry sump has put something like 5kW back on the road. Can't wait to get my new engine in the 405 and on the dyno....

Excellent. Other than over filling the sump initially and spilling heaps of oil from breathers, orifices etc., it went very well. We went cautiously on the first two runs, and after each the accumulator was still cold. Driving harder produced warmth however. It was interesting that one end was warm and the other still cold, meaning some oil had entered the sump and then returned. It never reached the point of being untouchable however, meaning other oil control measures were doing their job. For the money it's a great investment. Summit are still running a special which includes free mounting brackets.

I had a problem with the solenoid but it turned out just to be my wiring.

Last edited:
Excellent. Other than over filling the sump initially....................

How does the accumulator effect oil capacity of the motor??
Is it simply + 1.5l ??:confused:

Jo

Yes, it just adds up to another 1.5 quarts, like a big syringe giving you a booster.

So instead of 7 + 1.5, I put 9.5 in and the extra 1L was promptly spat out.