DEXRON 11 or 111 for my 505 petrol wagon trans

levit8

Fellow Frogger
hey guys,
was given some DEXRON 111 trans fluid and needed to buy some anyway for my 505 which is an 86 wagon with a 2.0 petrol engine and 3speed trans, so before i put some in or buy some does anyone one know which is the correct one to use or does it matter
thanks jeff :)

hey guys,
was given some DEXRON 111 trans fluid and needed to buy some anyway for my 505 which is an 86 wagon with a 2.0 petrol engine and 3speed trans, so before i put some in or buy some does anyone one know which is the correct one to use or does it matter
thanks jeff :)

I just had the same question when working on a mates mazda/ford escape 4x4.

The book said dextron II and we ended up with a bottle of dextron III.
Being gearbox oil paranoid, I phoned repco (where the bottle came from) who said they dont sell dextron II.
The repco guy phoned the rep whilst i was on the line who assured us it was satisfactory to use.

I called a few mechanic mates who confirmed this too.

WHilst this is not pugeot specific info, it might make you feel better about using it if no one else chips in with some information to the contrary.

Incidently, straight after I filled the box the car traveled 1800km on a country trip, with no issues.
I was nervously waiting for the "WTF have you done to my gearbox" phone call, which luckily was not made.

Jo

III is very different to II. It's still possible to buy II, you just need to look harder. Don't put III in a box designed for II. Plenty of Xantias/406 have died this way. Do a search in the Citroen area. There was plenty of discussion.

Green Goanna, Granville sell II.

Oh FFS! With all the discussion on here ad infinitum re D2 v D3 why would you use one where the other is specified.

REPCO may not sell D2 as such but they do sell Castrol Transmax M which is the equivalent.

Alan S would be on high speed rotation if he could read this.

Don't put III in a box designed for II. Plenty of Xantias/406 have died this way.

I hate when the oil company/ product book tells you one thing, and experienced engineers tell you another.
(By the way, I dont doubt a word you say, Peter).
Jo

Oils ain't oils...

Oh FFS! With all the discussion on here ad infinitum re D2 v D3 why would you use one where the other is specified.

REPCO may not sell D2 as such but they do sell Castrol Transmax M which is the equivalent.

Alan S would be on high speed rotation if he could read this.

Perhaps many of the Pug folk missed Alan's investigations on this...

For those that haven't read the discussion and you have a spare 20 minutes or so, it is really worthwhile :wink2:

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25121

Cheers
Chris

Seems like

DEX 3 has some detergent qualities that ,get all the crud moving in your old box that has been running dex2, so if its had dex 2 in it stick to dex 2 ,oil companies are only looking at the oil specs and not at the results of its application to a used box, do read all the posts ,imformative but the bottom line is although the two oils are interchangable [according to the oil companies] they arnt PUGS

there was a thread about this much more recently than 2005 ie the last couple of months IIRC.

as i understand it, what it showed was this:

*GM owns the name DEXRON
*there are NO licences any more for the names DEXRON II or DEXRON III, so you wont find it on any shelf from any manufacturer.
*you will find products called D3, DIII etc, which *should* be the same as dexron whatever, but are not tested or controlled by GM.
*the current dexron spec is dexron VI.
*all newer dexron specs are supposed to be backward compatabile, so if your car says Dexron II, you should be able to use Dexron III, Dexron IV, etc. which is pretty much what you would expect from lubricant specs/

Last edited:
*all newer dexron specs are backward compatabile, so if your car says Dexron II, you can use Dexron III, Dexron IV, etc. which is pretty much what you would expect from lubricant specs/

Having owned an auto Xantia that was filled with Dexron III I can assure you that's not the case. My advice is to stick with Transmax M if you need Dex II.

*all newer dexron specs are backward compatabile, so if your car says Dexron II, you can use Dexron III, Dexron IV, etc. which is pretty much what you would expect from lubricant specs/

Alexander, did you read through the link I posted?
Are you happy to recommend the use of an ATF that claims to be backward compatable in the knowledge that a transmission overhaul will cost some innocent in the region of $3000.00 - $5000.00. AlanS and several others have determined that Dexron 111 is poison to these early ZF boxes.

I have no proof but I am all but certain Dexron 111 killed the auto in my XM, it failed some 3 months after a transmission fluid change by an independant Citroen service centre in Brisbane at 120k.

Dexron 11 in the form of Transmax M is readilly available and often cheaper than 3, be very careful with with advice that may cost dearly :nownow:

Having owned an auto Xantia that was filled with Dexron III I can assure you that's not the case. My advice is to stick with Transmax M if you need Dex II.

^Exactly...

Cheers
Chris

I reckon alan was always right about this... I must confess of being "guilty" of selling D3 to many customers that needed D2... Why...because of the bloody "training"... I attended training sessions with most "major" lubricant manufacturers from mobil to valvoline... and back in the early 90s they simply told us that "it was OK" to recommend D3 as a substitute for D2... I ve stopped doing this many many years ago (thanks to people like Alan)...

:cheers:

dino

Alexander, did you read through the link I posted?
Are you happy to recommend the use of an ATF that claims to be backward compatable in the knowledge that a transmission overhaul will cost some innocent in the region of $3000.00 - $5000.00. AlanS and several others have determined that Dexron 111 is poison to these early ZF boxes.

I have no proof but I am all but certain Dexron 111 killed the auto in my XM, it failed some 3 months after a transmission fluid change by an independant Citroen service centre in Brisbane at 120k.

Dexron 11 in the form of Transmax M is readilly available and often cheaper than 3, be very careful with with advice that may cost dearly :nownow:

^Exactly...

Cheers
Chris

poison to other boxs as well

how many have heard of tri matic holdens boxs dying at an early age ??

similar tri matic is used in 604's and we all know how many times we have heard of a 604 box dying

DII is the only thing that will save them

can anyone tell me how much oil I will need to buy to swap out the transmission oil on my 604 auto?

also does anyone know any tricks to get more of the old oil out that just removing the transmission sump plug

I can get this easily in the UK (in Halfords)
965.jpg

can anyone tell me how much oil I will need to buy to swap out the transmission oil on my 604 auto?

also does anyone know any tricks to get more of the old oil out that just removing the transmission sump plug

I can get this easily in the UK (in Halfords)
965.jpg

if you do it via the sump plug you will need 2.5L

it's easy enough to do it this way everytime you do an engine oil change, that way you will have good fresh oil in the tranny

the other way is to use the cooling lines and pump about 20L through the tranny = big expense in one hit

when I got the car a few months ago the oil in the transmission was very low and unfortunately I topped it up with Dex III due to lack of knowledge and the bullshit that they write on the oil bottles

So now it has a mixture of Dex III and Dex II :(

I guess I could disconnect the oil cooler lines just to empty a bit more out. Could there be 1/2 litre in the lines and the radiator?

I suppose if I can get it say 3/4 Dex II and 1/4 Dex III it'll probably be okay for a while

poison to other boxs as well

how many have heard of tri matic holdens boxs dying at an early age ??

similar tri matic is used in 604's and we all know how many times we have heard of a 604 box dying

DII is the only thing that will save them

Sounds like you need to change it pronto, boyo ! Pugrambo is a 604 expert.

Yes.....you will have a fair bit of oil in the lines. Best to undo one of the lines, put it in a bucket, and start engine briefly. If oil comes out, great. I don't know which pipe oil comes out of and which it goes into.
Use a bit of plastic tubing on the metal pipe you took the rubber hose off. Then use 2 buckets/containers.....one for old oil, the other for new oil. But you may go through a fair bit till the oil going out runs clear. Not sure if it'd be 20 liters though.
If 604s have a similar box to 505s (not sure of this) you can get out more oil by dropping the pan. Then unscrew the oil strainer, and a few more cups will come out. Leave it to drain overnight, and even more will come out. Also, as you said, drain the lines (blow out ???? Help out with brake cleaner ???)
Clean strainer (squirt out with brake cleaner) and re-use the sump gasket....no problem.

today I emptied 2 litres of oil and put 2 litres of fresh Dexron II.
What was in there previously was a mixture so I'm probably down up to 75% Dexron II.
It was pretty easy to do so I think every oil change is probably reasonable

today I emptied 2 litres of oil and put 2 litres of fresh Dexron II.
What was in there previously was a mixture so I'm probably down up to 75% Dexron II.
It was pretty easy to do so I think every oil change is probably reasonable

you need another 1/2 a litre in there

the tranny sump holds 2.5L

if only 2 came out then it was already low on oil, they are known to leak

be a good idea to check your diff oil or even undo the torque at the diff end and make sure no pink oil comes out :D