205 eng conversion SR20DET

felixblack1

Fellow Frogger
ok, i am being a dreamer and it is all talk atm. i already have a fast turbo car and don't particulary need another unpractical car but...
for a while now i have thought about about placing the SRDET20 engine from the japenese fwd turbo nissen pulser into my 205. you can get the fwd version for roughly $900. would be worth going a half cut though, can utilise ECU, brakes, radiator...

-now i understand there is very little chance of the driveshafts matching up. but possible to makeup custom driveshafts.
-also in standard form the nissen eng has the intake at the back/exh at front (unlike 205 config). this may not be much of a problem (unless exh too close to radiator). what is the possibilty of spinning the eng around, will change gearbox placement
-have to check out eng mounting positions
-now the fitment of the eng could obviously be a problem, being a 2lt twin cam plus turbo...
-legality???

now i know anything can be done with the right amount of money. i would be performing this conversion myself with help. i'm no qualified mechanic but am expereinced. i want your ideas. you can call me an f'n idiot if you wish but give legit reasons as to why :whistle:

[To all die hard pug enthusist who wish to confiscate my pug: the 205 is a great car and can still out handle most cars. while the engine was fair back in its day (big eng, light car.win win situation), though by todays standards all i can see is large coolant despensor. soooo pug handling, japenese power seems good to me!]

cheers
Felix

Hi Bernhard,

So tempted to get out a trout and slap you silly! :roflmao:

You really would have to see how the motor actually sits inside the engine bay. what the pick up points for it are and then look at how the computer is going to talk to the rest of the car. Without mechanical experience I would say pretty much impossible, unless you have wads of cash to buy mechanics help.

With the engine loctation you may have to look at space framing the front of the car which then would easily fit what ever u wanted in the front. Also then you would have to sit down with an engineer to see if its all legal.

I say this to everyone dreaming .... anythings possible if your bill gates.

I would put in a newer pug motor and supercharge it you will get just as much power through the wheels as any nissan motor (due to wheelspin)

Nick

I would put in a newer pug motor and supercharge it you will get just as much power through the wheels as any nissan motor (due to wheelspin)

your answer for everything. supercharge it :D
that would be an expensive option.

how the computer is going to talk to the rest of the car
the gauge cluster isn't a problem to hook up to the nissen sensors.

space frame? you mean like a tubular chassis. woah, not that much money to be spent.

i've had experience with engine conversions before but never with a FWD. i figure it's not that impossible. i guess it all comes down to eng mounting positions and more importantly is threre the space to do it?

now where's my measuring tape

I would spend money supercharging or turbo charging the exisitng motor, SR20 is a physically big motor and you would struggle I think to fit it into what is already limited engine bay real estate. If you must be silly how about a GTi6 engine in there this has been done in the UK and it is a very sweet engine, I think there is a guy in WA doing this conversion on his 205, I think he posts as Goat have'nt heard anything from for a while.
There is also the turbo engine from a 406 that fits into the 205 engine and with minimal mods can make very impressive power..

ok, i'll be honest with ya.

i've had it with peugeot engines (except the deisel variety). the only reason i've stuck with the 205 is because it's so fun in the handling department. yes, that's right i'm basing my whole peugeot engine expereince off a very tired 14yo eng. unfair, most certainly. but it had its chance! :>

seriously though, the intial cost of the pug engines are bloody expensive. i'd much prefer to spend that money on one of the best 4cyl engines around.

as for the expensive GTI6 motor, we all know it doesn't just slide in to factory placement, but has been attempted many times. but when a different manufacturer engine is mentioned, most assume it's impossible.

ok, i could be horribly wrong. but that's what i am here for, to find out

To be honest I reckon an SR16VVE would be a better suited motor. Either that or a B16/B18C sort of thing.

To be honest I reckon an SR16VVE would be a better suited motor. Either that or a B16/B18C sort of thing.

are these honda vtech engines? if so, that's not a bad idea at all.

felixblack1 said:
are these honda vtech engines? if so, that's not a bad idea at all.

Felix, and here is what a 1 minute search for the B16/B18C on google yielded.

http://www.ardperformance.com/cgi-bin/static.pl?serial=14

Pretty amazing really considering it took me less time to search for this, than most probably it was for you to post this question. Google is pretty amazing.
Love this quote:
"Will the B16 fit in my vehicle?
The quick answer to this question is yes. Any engine will fit in any car...it's just a matter of time and how much money you have to spend."

Last edited:
What about a cosworth, if you just have cash laying around... I've seen something about them goping into the 405's so seeing as youcan do the Mi16 conversion, i can't see why you couldn't do it to the 205..

But do you have that much Money just lying around... :confused:

Mitch Mi16 said:
What about a cosworth, if you just have cash laying around... I've seen something about them goping into the 405's so seeing as youcan do the Mi16 conversion, i can't see why you couldn't do it to the 205..

But do you have that much Money just lying around... :confused:

You could put up numerous engines that 'may' fit, however like everyone said you need money. For me I prefer to rebuild, sc/turbo the existing or a bolt in than go and spend lost on engine mounts etc etc and having a imported engine that's been thrashed the turbo will most likely need to be rebuilt as most of them come over here rooted. Trust me I has a CA18DET Datto 1600 and it was difficult.

You need to think how much power is enough:

Will the chasis hold up?
How much would a SR including g/box an IC weigh? Ie: weight ratio

My 1600 chasis pretty much twisted from so much power going through the wheels.

Then there's insurance, engineers and re-sale to think of.

The latest issue of "Zoom" is an engine conversion special. It might give you some answers or ideas.

Hoi Bernhard,

WHy really bother with 205 anyway??? Sell it too me and i'll give you $50 towards a GTi-R :roflmao:

But in all seriousness putting a jap motor in the 205 would be a task tho nothing is impossible. You may want to have a talk with some engineers about the best way of tackling the problem. Go ask people who put SR20 or what ever in little cars like dattos.

Your just getting rid of the motor so you don't have to buy new parts from me :mad:

Nick

Problem is dattos and the like are rear wheel drive so it is much much easier. Make up some engine mounts, reverse the sway bar, cut gear leaver hole back, shorten the tailshaft, stronger diff, bigger brakes and you're set. Engineers is a sinch as it's been done before.

You need to look at Pulsars but the turbo engine transplants are pretty much bolt-ins. Corolla's same thing.

If you're after something different and I may be banned from this forum for saying so.

Get a Satria GTi and bolt in an EVO Lancer engine even bolts up to original g/box

Kristian said:
Problem is dattos and the like are rear wheel drive so it is much much easier. Make up some engine mounts, reverse the sway bar, cut gear leaver hole back, shorten the tailshaft, stronger diff, bigger brakes and you're set. Engineers is a sinch as it's been done before.

You need to look at Pulsars but the turbo engine transplants are pretty much bolt-ins. Corolla's same thing.

If you're after something different and I may be banned from this forum for saying so.

Get a Satria GTi and bolt in an EVO Lancer engine even bolts up to original g/box

Hi,

You going to come across the same problem again and again. Space the 205 has none. You will have to look at spinning the motor around so the inlet is around the front. unless you can find a motor with the mounts further back. I would start lookin in the bays of everything jap. But Kristians correct in saying go buy a satria and bolt in an EVO. Myabe even modify it to be 4x4.

Nick

boohoo tekkie, your a wanker. piss off you are no use here.

WHy really bother with 205 anyway??? Sell it too me and i'll give you $50 towards a GTi-R

because they have bad understeer problems :moon:

Your just getting rid of the motor so you don't have to buy new parts from me

well you should open an import wrecking yard :D

What about a cosworth

:eek: that would be nice, but it would be a problem finding gearbox... even i don't see much use of that sort of power in a FWD

like the pic of the 16V turbo
Pc191440

felixblack1 said:
well you should open an import wrecking yard

Yeah hey why don't I just drive crap cars!

Hey i just thought drop your rotary into the pug!!!

You better buy from the house of 205 again :disappr:

Have fun with your motor.

Nick

haha nick :D . don't worry as long as i own the 205 you will have my bussiness. and remember since you bought your first ever 205 you are cursed into owning one for the rest of your life.

again, i won't be doing this in the immediate future. just playing around with the idea. some ppl came up with some interesting ideas, but no one liked the srdet20 idea. sniff sniff :cry:

Hey i just thought drop your rotary into the pug!!!
haha NO! though i have seen a fwd rotary conversion, a 20b in a 323(fwd ver)too. just proves anything can be done, and not necessarly with a pile on dosh.

The SR conversion would NEVER be legal no matter what you did.

With the 205's weight you'd be restricted to a smaller engine if turbocharged.

FWD conversions cost a LOT, a REAL LOT !!!

If you want to do a SR conversion buy a Pulsar and do it to that. Its a bolt in proposition.

Darren