R16 Nonstop to Darwin and Back

Kim Luck

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Anyone remember this? I found the photo in some old stuff recently. Who's the well dressed dude? Anyone know?

Attachments

• Bob Watson plus R16 small size.jpg
    Bob Watson plus R16 small size.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 619
NT will claim

Kim
I don't who the dude in the threads is. But the car looks SA registration and photo background looks like the Administrator's House on The Esplanade in Darwin. Circa 1976

The well dressed dude is actually Bob Watson! The car went to Darwin and back non stop, but I can't remember who his co-driver was.. The car was serviced on the run, not stopping and the tyres when they needed changing were changed on the move at walking pace with a special trolley. The tyres on this car look like Dunlop SP3's. (I had a set on my rally R16). If you don't think they needed changing a lot, look at both wheels visible in the photo! The rims are buggered but being steel could at a pinch be hammered back into shape. If you rallied on steel rims back then, you carried a mash hammer!

That would have been quite an adventure :tongue:, probably much more gruelling than the 70,000 mile XP Falcon durability drive around a predictable circuit :wink2:

The well dressed dude is actually Bob Watson! The car went to Darwin and back non stop, but I can't remember who his co-driver was.. The car was serviced on the run, not stopping and the tyres when they needed changing were changed on the move at walking pace with a special trolley. The tyres on this car look like Dunlop SP3's. (I had a set on my rally R16). If you don't think they needed changing a lot, look at both wheels visible in the photo! The rims are buggered but being steel could at a pinch be hammered back into shape. If you rallied on steel rims back then, you carried a mash hammer!

You're really sure that is Bob?

I agree. Might be his co-driver perhaps, but it doesn't look like Bob to me.
This guy looks a bit bigger; and broader in the face than Bob in his youth.

We need to ask Bob750 about the 7 days non stop around Surfers Paradise raceway in an R12. It seems to me that there is no publicity or information on this event.

Hi Kim,
I reckon I remember that. I don't know the well dressed gent but Tony Goode from Renault Australia in Adelaide and Randal Smith also from Adelaide crewed the car.
I was living in Alice Springs at the time and the boys drove the car around Traeger Park while it was refuelled from a truck so they did not have to stop.
It was one of the wonderful publicity drives that Renault Aust used to organize to promote Renault reliability.
Regards
Chopper Bob

"I was going to say"

I've had the photograph in my possession since about the time of the "adventure". Never assumed it was anyone else but then I don't think I ever saw Bob Watson in a collar and tie whilst rallying so if it's not him the identification of the person leaning on this vehicle will remain a musty secret, I suppose! :confused:

and now I've said it I could see I could have been mistaken. Bob, I take my hat off to you, the mystery is solved! Or is it? Who is the Dude in the photograph then?

We need to ask Bob750 about the 7 days non stop around Surfers Paradise raceway in an R12. It seems to me that there is no publicity or information on this event.

Probably thinks the info would be lost......

Sungold 16TS, Flame Orange 12GL. January 1973, Surfers Paradise circuit, seven days and seven nights, with a goal of 8000 non-stop miles. In the 168 hours, both cars covered 8159 miles at an average 48.56mph, 12GL 37.8 mpg, 16TS 29.1 mpg.

I believe I have a copy of Wheels magazine with an article covering that event.

Please scan and PM!!! It'll need to be bigger than 100 kb to read clearly I imagine. Those interested in 16s will bounce it around OK.

Cheers

I've had the photograph in my possession since about the time of the "adventure". Never assumed it was anyone else but then I don't think I ever saw Bob Watson in a collar and tie whilst rallying so if it's not him the identification of the person leaning on this vehicle will remain a musty secret, I suppose! :confused:

Ian Geoghagen?

A short note on page 33 from "Renault in Australia" by Tony and Pedr Davis gives a choice of possible names.
Bob G

Attachments

• R16 to Darwin.jpg
    R16 to Darwin.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 378
A short note on page 33 from "Renault in Australia" by Tony and Pedr Davis gives a choice of possible names.
Bob G

It isn't Tony so there are now three options. I don't know the faces of those three but someone else might?

R16/R12 Endurance Run at Surfers Paradise

A copy of the Wheels, April 1973 article about the 7 day, 8000 miles endurance run.

Bob G

Attachments

• Page 1.jpg
    Page 1.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 393
  • Page 2.jpg
    Page 2.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 427
  • Page 3.jpg
    Page 3.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 433
  • Page 4.jpg