Clear coat re-sprays

eMi16

Fellow Frogger
Hi all, has anyone had any experience with getting just clear coats re-done?
The paint on my roof is just starting to craze and get that silvering effect, and i thought i might try and get it fixed rather than look like some crappy old magna with the paint peeling off all over. The paint in general is all in pretty good nick, just showing some effects of being outside during the day.
Any suggestions on where in brissie might be helpful?

Thanks
Ralph

It's not really possible to just re-clear once the basecoat has emerged from underneath.

On the lighter side, a good panel beater could rub out and respray the roof in 2K fairly correctly for a few hundred. Better than applying clear over a deteriorated and imperfect surface.

Please note, any "glaze" type polishes used in the present condition may interfere with refinishing techniques and materials, costing you more.

Regards, Adam.

I agree with addo's first suggestion - having the roof redone in 2-pack is the proper way to resolve this problem. I however would suggest trying out some of the polishes on the market first though.

When a car is resprayed or 'refinished' by a reputable workshop, it is thoroughly 'prep-washed' with a chemical (called 'Prep-Wash', funnilly enough) that removes everything except the paint from your car's surface - so polish will not interfere with subsequent paint-work at all.

Turtle Wax 'Colour Cure' is a good way of rebuilding your colour, followed by a product like 'Meguiars Clear Crystal' or 'NXT' to seal it in with gloss. Some folks favour T-Cut for renovating your colour, but I steer clear of cuts on clear coats.

If you decide you dont like the result, you can always get some Prep-Wash from an Auto Shop and wash the polish right off before presenting to a spray painter.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, the base coats aren't exposed, just the clear starting to go off, thats why i thought maybe the clear coat could be rubbed back and re-applied.

cheers

Try rubbing it with the products suggested above (you gan get great results this way!), or maybe go have a chat with a reputable spray-painter to see what they say.

Or theres the even easier solution. Make friends with shane!
:joker: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Clear Coat Resprays.

scatterbrain said:

My neighbours Daewoo Lanos dark blue top surfaces had suffered from this problem. Out of desperation we got stuck in with a rubbing compound, not sure of brand maybe Repo or Repco it seemed to be a gentler compound.
Anyway it brought it up a treat except for a couple of small patches.

I can't believe what I see sometimes, cars that are still quite young with stuffed paintwork. Commodores, Falcons and a lot of Korean cars. Don't the makers care anymore?
There's something to be said about boring white cars!!

Wildebeest said:

I can't believe what I see sometimes, cars that are still quite young with stuffed paintwork. Commodores, Falcons and a lot of Korean cars. Don't the makers care anymore?

There's something to be said about boring white cars!!

I agree there are a lot of quite new cars with paint falling off them, I don't wish to join their club, i also went from a white car to a dark metallic blue, the white was soooo much easier to look after, didn't show every speck of dust either

I agree that fading/peeling paint is not necesarilly the manufacturers fault. I've seen neglected paint on all makes of car - even the most prestige. Quite often its down to using the wrong products or worse - a combination of the wrong products.

The minimum requirements for looking after your paint would be:

* Hand washing - dont use automatic brush car-washes - they scratch. Wash regularly - at least once a fortnight. Use clean sponges, etc.

*Use a suitable wash soap - designed for cars not dishes.
Preferably a fine brand eg: Meguiars or even Kitten.
(nb: A lot of people strip their paint off with dishwashing liquid because 'it gives such a great shine'. Actually its removing part of the outer layer of paint with its acidity.)

* Wax every 6 months (minimum) with a 'clear coat safe' product. Find a suitable product and use it. A lot of people have stripped their paint by using unsuitable polishes. Cutting compound, or restorative polishes are only useful if your paint is already badly damaged.

This is dedicated to a mate who brought a newish Civic VTiR, used automatic brush car washes and polished regularly with a renovating polish thinking he was doing a good thing. The car has now been re-sprayed.

Last edited:
scatterbrain said:

Get it done properly... It won't be hugely expensive just to get the one panel resprayed. I payed a couple of hundred to get the hatch respayed on my Xantia. It was $$$ well spent.

I wouldn't paint 2pack .... ever .... No unless you buy a spray booth, air fed mask and all the protective gear. It's seriosly toxic stuff.

seeya,
Shane L.

T cut

I know there's gonna be an outcry, but yesterday I summonsed the courage to try a little T Cut on a small area of my dull, clearcoated roof. I rubbed very gently and removed it as soon as it dried, And what a result! It came up as shiny as new (24 year-old paint). Now I know that generally advice has been not to use abrasives on clearcoat, but in this case I had nothing to lose as the next step would have been a respray. So, today the world! I'll take "before and after" pics so that you can see if the result is a success or a disaster.

Forget it!

...Unless your clearcoat is blemish-free. It worked OK in a small area, but when I went for large section of the roof there were "pimples" in the clearcoat and the T Cut axed right through them. Looks awful, so it's back to the respray.

there is a great detailing kit by meguiars that is called quick clay detailing system.
you get a block of white clay about the size of a block of soap and some spray on stuff in the pack.
follow instructions and the clay block lifts of HARDBORN CONTAMINENTS that regular washing wont get off.
the problem is these contaminents nest in the clear coat and wont come out easily.
you get a cut a polish effect of which looks fantastic.
now if there is moisure under the paint or similar,nothing will get it off .
have a look at this stuff it worked on my mates car a treat.-BAZZ

THATS MEGUIARS QUICK CLAY DETAILING SYSTEM ...AVAILABE AT ALL AVAILABLE OUTLETS.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!