Road Runner tried to get stolen last night

nate

1000+ Posts
yep...

for some reason i just couldnt sleep at about 2am...
was soooo close to going down to check on my car & low & behold this morning i find that they tried to steal it...

They couldnt start it, so tried to push it out of the car park...

All my tools are still here & nothing is missing...

*sigh*

So which jealous AF member tried to do this?!?

J/K

Great to hear that everything is fine... Don't know of anyone who'd target a Renault, but then again, your roadrunner is in a class of it's own !

- 2nd lock up garage (my own one, not rely on just the communal doors)
- alarm
and some other things... (i obviously wont say here!)

might consider storage elsewhere

That's pretty darn low.

If you havent got it I'd perhaps suggest a GPS tracking security system on the car. With something so unique here some lowlifes are going to want it more than you.... At least you should be able to track it down pretty quickly.

Perhaps you could sink a couple of big eye bolts into the concrete where you park the car and wrap a chain around the axles or similar and padlock the thing down. Extreme I know...

Hidden* CCTV (both IR and daylight) - then publish the pictures here .. we'll track-em down :mad:

Could always wire the car up with 240V or something :) (nah you'll get charged with "setting a man trap" :disappr: )

- xTc -

* If the camera is easy to see they just hide their faces.

dash1.gif

dash2.gif

rear.gif

front.gif

door.gif

XTC said:
Could always wire the car up with 240V or something :) (nah you'll get charged with "setting a man trap" :disappr: )

What if you put warning signs up - It works for places where they put the razor wire up. Not to mention those car bond yards where they have full electric fences around them!

Failing that you could always get a dog!

Call the cops and get it dusted.They might be interested as it is an exotic.
I swear it wasn't me.
Jo

Some decent finger prints there .. get the police to run them, chances are they have form. Would NSW cops even bother though ? (plus the car isn't registered yet).

- xTc -

I presume you've paid a visit to the cops, and made sure they logged it. That part is pretty essential. Don't phone it, visit in person.

Beyond that, it's not the forum browsers, but tow truck drivers to watch. I can't name names, but there are some seriously bad apples in the area. Joyriders are another possibility but the car seems eminently resaleable, so that is a main drawcard.

If you do want to put in some anchors and don't have the right drilling gear, PM me. Two hardened steel eyes set with Sika Anchor-Fix, high tensile chain between them, attached with a restricted key padlock. Weld up a chrome moly bracket and fix it to the chassis with tamper-proof bolts. It'll be a bugger to unlock in the rain but will still be there for you.

Regards, Adam.

NATE!!! my hand is already up if you want a hand fitting an alarm. We can do the craziest alarms. I alarm the car, with sirens inside & outside of the car! We can cut out ignition, fuel & starter. Ultrasonic & tilt sensor, pre-stage warning & then we alarm the garage up too!
Ive also installed a xenon strobe to the roof so its makes it very hard to see in the car at night as the light change makes focusing hard.... just a thought. - Chris

My thought is that it is opportunistic joy riders. They certainly are not pro’s if the grey blobs on the paintwork are their fingerprints. It doesn’t look like it is steal to order either, besides to do so then try and sell the car or parts in AUS would be stupid, then again they are burglars.

You sort of get the impression they must have seen the car running around though, to know what it is, or its potential, to go to so much trouble of opening the garage then wheeling the car out. Scary stuff!!

I dont think they were professionals, otherwise they would've had a flat bad & it would've been gone...

Chris, we'll speak...
Addo, got all the stuff & will do, but its nothing an Oxy couldnt over come!

LAPD are showing up to dust later, but every one knows to use gloves...

damn, hope they come back, and you catch them in the act! ;)

you have a sports steering wheel there already, why not install a removable one...? Even a simple Fuel Kill switch is extremely effective.

We have had a lot of sort after road and race cars in our family, and just little things can make all the difference. If you wanna go all out though and spend some serious cash, you can't beat 5 point immobilsiers, GPS tracking, tilt sensing, multiple inside/outside alarms, etc...

Even (We did this once to our porky after it had attempted to be stolen a couple of times) install a large metal pole that is sunk into the ground, and can only be removed with a key/lock (not a padlock) I dunno if you have seen these before, but they are xtremely hard to get around, the car cannot be physically moved from it's car spot without sawing through a solid iron pole.

Nate,

Take Chris up on his offer.
This is down to 2 groups;
1 - Some snotty toe rag who's been telling his mates all about this car he's going to nab and take them for a fast spin in.
2 - A pro who has a rare vehicles collector waiting. This isn't the kind of car someone trots out for a weekend fling, but one kept on ice for say 10 yearts and then possibly sold off overseas.
Either one of these two will be back.
#1 because he's too bloody thick to believe he can't get away with it.
#2 Because he reckons you won't expect him back tonight.

One of the BX16V guys in the UK had an immaculate red series one 16V. One day, broad daylight, a tow truck turns up runs a sling around it, hauls it onto the back of the flatbed; never seen seen since.
Another one I knew was on holidays down the Gold Coast and owned a schmick Staesman. They tried 4 nights out of five to nick it. He eventually took the car home and caught a bus back to have his holiday so these thieving ba$tards can be a bit persistent.
Having seen the things in action, a bright strobe with a guard over it in the garage coupled to a mechanical donket alarm and the disabling system connected to the power intake to the ECU should sort it pretty well.
The disabling of the ECU is a system my son has (amongst others) to secure his GT-R.....that really fools 'em.:confused: :confused: :roflmao:

Alan S

A trick I used to do with my old car was to quickly unclip the distributor cap and take the rotor out in and put it in my pocket. It wont stop a flatbed but it definately stops them starting the car!

So surprising to see even an R5 on a lowlife shopping list. I'd have thought it would be too rare to flog. At least with some other classics, the aussie following would be a little larger and you would have a lesser chahnce of being tracked!:confused:

Would be good if you caught them in the act if they happen to come back but you have to promise to have pics of them after you alter thier looks dramatically with a baseball bat.
Only thing for them, brutality. Bash the lowlifes!!

Anyway, good luck Nate.

Alan S said:
Nate,

Take Chris up on his offer.
This is down to 2 groups;
1 - Some snotty toe rag who's been telling his mates all about this car he's going to nab and take them for a fast spin in.
2 - A pro who has a rare vehicles collector waiting. This isn't the kind of car someone trots out for a weekend fling, but one kept on ice for say 10 yearts and then possibly sold off overseas.
Either one of these two will be back.
#1 because he's too bloody thick to believe he can't get away with it.
#2 Because he reckons you won't expect him back tonight.

One of the BX16V guys in the UK had an immaculate red series one 16V. One day, broad daylight, a tow truck turns up runs a sling around it, hauls it onto the back of the flatbed; never seen seen since.
Another one I knew was on holidays down the Gold Coast and owned a schmick Staesman. They tried 4 nights out of five to nick it. He eventually took the car home and caught a bus back to have his holiday so these thieving ba$tards can be a bit persistent.
Having seen the things in action, a bright strobe with a guard over it in the garage coupled to a mechanical donket alarm and the disabling system connected to the power intake to the ECU should sort it pretty well.
The disabling of the ECU is a system my son has (amongst others) to secure his GT-R.....that really fools 'em.:confused: :confused: :roflmao:

Alan S

Alan,

mate all that work is in vain ... Anyone that knows of your sons GTR won't attempt to start it .... It'll be winched onto a trailers/flattray ... Or I've heard into the back of refridgerator trucks... You see the insulation quietens the alarm once the doors are closed on the truck. They just take it somewhere where they can defeat any immobilisers at there luisure (most likely it'd be torn to bits and sold off for parts, getting around trying to get it running).

The R5 would most likely be in this class to. The only way to stop it going it to prevent it being physically moved. ie: bolted to the ground or in a shed that simply can't be opened.

Out driving around isn't such an issue, it's when the car is parked in exactly the same place at the same time each and every day (eg: you carport/shed).

Me I'm safe ... Have you seen my car lately ... I could leave the keys in it, or even better, stick the 'Citroen' badges back on it :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: (that works a treat).

seeya,
Shane L.