Viva La France!: Citroen Hot Rod

Covert

Fellow Frogger
I have never posted in the citroen area but this just had to come to you guy's attention, that's if you have not seen it yet.... just amazing I reckon...

Volker

citroen_hot_rod.jpg

Viva La France!: Citroen Hot Rod
http://www.jalopnik.com

We’ve been waiting for someone to hotrod a Citroen ID19 since, well, we’re not really sure when (though it most likely involved tequila). Seems few builders are twisted in the head (or otherwise addled) enough to turn one of the original French boats into a street machine. Few as they are, all it takes is one, truly motivated one. He’s replacing the 88hp mill with a 400hp Chevrolet crate motor, building a new chassis, and recasting the interior with modern appointments. Follow the link below to follow his progress.

DSC00028.1.jpg

kreations48.jpg

kreations64.jpg

Check out his site and enjoy..... just great stuff
http://citroenid19hotrod.blogspot.com/

Its pretty much a show pony that grand touring feel would be thrown out the window along with the hydaulics!
Im really not sure how that would handle corners with all that extra weight, scary:crazy:
Perfect to wow the boys at the drags wednesday nights
Its merely a DS body strapped to a yank tank
Anyway I STILL WANT ONE:headbang:

From the article:

"Here's a closer look at the modified four-link suspension. I know it is much more archaic than the original hydropneumatic independent suspension. But it can handle the added power without any additional engineering."

Huh ? The mechanical construction of the DS suspension would have to be one of the most solid and well engineered suspensions EVER, and they replace it with coil springs and an axle ? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

All it needed was the sphere tuning changing and perhaps heavier roll bars... especially when you consider that the suspension in an SM is basically identical to a DS, apart from different tuning of the gas pressure and dampers etc...

Seems like a case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater...why did they bother....:confused:

Regards,
Simon

Wait till Shane sees this - he will go OFF :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I don't like it either.

But, each to their own

Oh well...

"more money than brains" - now you're just hurting my feelings. Any car customizing project can be classified as more money than it's worth/more money than brains.

I agree that the hydropneumatic stuff was the main thing worth keeping but...mine was the old fluid/leaky kind...I live in a humid environment...All the parts needed replacing (which clearly I have done)...I could not find anyone familiar with Citroen hydropneumatics willing to consider taking part in my project...The ones I talked to had a snooty, superior attitude towards the purity of the original...They would not dare make a change...Yadda yadda yadda.

Oh well...

I like hot rods and I like hotrodding but I think this one is off the mark for me.

I would have driven the Citroen for 3 months non stop to see what it did well and what sucked and then built from that research.

The D suspension and arms are a shit load stronger than what they've used and way more cool. And why throw out that insane steering wheel to replace with a shit boreing straight spoke yank thing? I just dont get that. But hey - if all your into is cubes, dark age suspension and drive trains then this is what you get.

This is a ID19 Hotrod !
12342_400_111_1144.jpg

Chris.

borobrygme said:
"more money than brains" - now you're just hurting my feelings. Any car customizing project can be classified as more money than it's worth/more money than brains.

I agree that the hydropneumatic stuff was the main thing worth keeping but...mine was the old fluid/leaky kind...I live in a humid environment...All the parts needed replacing (which clearly I have done)...I could not find anyone familiar with Citroen hydropneumatics willing to consider taking part in my project...The ones I talked to had a snooty, superior attitude towards the purity of the original...They would not dare make a change...Yadda yadda yadda.

Oh well...

Im not saying its a bad project but for the money?
Who knows you might have started a future of ID Rods and why not.
I ve been in plenty of old Hot Rods,having an uncle(Paul Dass) who played a key role in the NSW Hot Rod Club and founder of bridge to bridge racing for many years .
I do quiet like it (for a garage piece)but I would never pay for it.
Please dont hold back on how the end product will finish.

Dan:cheers:

Mandrake said:
From the article:

"Here's a closer look at the modified four-link suspension. I know it is much more archaic than the original hydropneumatic independent suspension. But it can handle the added power without any additional engineering."
I would say it can handle 100% more power than the original ID rear suspension :roflmao:

A restoration project turned wrong.

Doing this to such a beautiful car is totally unforgivable!:nownow:
It would have been better to have it rusting away forgotten in some paddock than to see such a horrible transformation of grotesque engineering that only an American could envisage....a live axle rear on a D!?:evil:
"Vive la France!" What an insult, what they are really saying is f@*# France.
Just look at the first 10 minutes of the film 'Team America' and you'll get exactly what I'm talking about.

smiffy1071 said:
this is sacrilidge! john s

I know what you are saying and I think I agree, I personally don't like hotrods, especially those made out of 30s stuff. I mean imagine a Traction hotrod!! (shudders) I'd be interested in seeing the final product, but I doubt I'd like it. Nice colour though.

Dom

At least in this case the car they're starting with truely is a wreck.... the first one was drivable :rolleyes:

Regards,
Simon

Hi Guys,

actually the car looks quite tired and rusty in the pictures. They have butchered what was probably getting close to a parts car to make the hotrod.

Sure it's just a DS body now on chassis with Chevy running gear, however it will still be interesting to see the finished product. I'd rather see it running around as a hotrod/modified car, than see it end up at the local metal recyclers.

I for one will be interested to see the finished product. Certainly it's not something I'd ever want to own (what's the point of a DS with no center point steering, hydraulics, etc, etc...). They are a classy looking bodyshell, and this one has just been saved & rebuilt.

Now if they'd butchered a good DS to do this, my opinions woudl be very different :nownow:

seeya,
Shane L.

Mandrake said:
...the suspension in an SM is basically identical to a DS, apart from different tuning of the gas pressure and dampers etc...
Not quite...

The D has leading arms at the front, whereas the SM has trailing arms. Otherewise similar, though.

chaseracer said:
Not quite...

The D has leading arms at the front, whereas the SM has trailing arms. Otherewise similar, though.
Hi,

Yeah, am aware of that difference, but they basically acheived that by swapping some left and right side components! Hence they are still mechanically almost identical.

Regards,
Simon

Can I get a constructive Suggestion?

I'm thinking that if I put in an independent A-arm type rear suspension then I can use the citroen hydropneumatic springing. All I would need to do is replace the coilovers with pushrods and pivots running to the pneumatic spheres. I'd need the pump, reservoir, main accumulator, and height correctors too.

Look at these two links. I could get one of these modules as the base:

http://parts.factoryfive.com/newcatalog/chassis/irs.htm

http://www.dana.com/technology/indirearSusmodule.shtm

What do you think?