Peugeot 504 24v v-6

Erska

Fellow Frogger
Hi!
I am Erska from Finland and I have Peugeot 504.
At first I have to say that my English isn't very good.I hope you guys still figure out what I am saying. :)

So:
This is my "little" project,I bought 1991 Citroen Xm "tax-free"(brought from Germany). Engine is 3liter 24v v-6 ZPJ4 and I am going to fit it to 504.

It doesn't fit straight becouse Xm was fwd. I changed the hole oil sump and lower part of the block from 1978 volvo prv B27E. Now I can put Peugeot 604 original engine mounts into the block and my 504. Gearbox is 604 Ba10,rear Diff is 505 limited slip 9x35. I have to change startermotor too becouse rearwheel drive clutchcage is different. Electrics are hard too,Siemens Bendix Fenix 4 is not the easiest one connect a 20 year older car. Exhaust must make new too and cooling system. Let see what happens...

I have pics on my website. Adress is www.kivialho.1g.fi/kuvat . There is two folder,Peugeot 504 76GL ja varaosa 77 GL sekä 78 GLD and PRV6 .

The car is originally Peugeot 504 GL 2.0 1976,colour was blue.

I fixed the blue 504 body,there were very much rust,especially on the back and A-bars.Then my friend painted it Peugeot 504 GLD 1978 original metal green colour(three liter cost 450€!). Body is rust protected at the bottom.

I am going to buy some audio there too when everything else is completed. I need new rims too,I dont know yet wich rims but I thought Peugeot 15" original alloy wheels are nice,or some retro style rims.

I am trying to make this car looking nice and allmost original from outside but inside it has some surprises. A real sleeper! ZPJ4 makes with special exhaust and airfilter about 220horsepower.

Peugeot 504 is rare car here(only 90 registered anymore:cry:), in the old days it was VERY popular,but the climatic zone here is very destructive to cars. Winter,salt,rain and everything,you know what I mean.
But I love my car and I am not going to drive it of any bad weather or in the winter, only summers.

I hope you guys are interested even if my text wasn't perfect.

Cheers.:approve:

Last edited:
Very interested Erska,

there are still thousands of 504's in Australia. Many are old and rusty but still good transport, very reliable, cheap to repair..etc

Many are also well looked after and many hotted up with different motors, gear boxes, diffs etc.

Search any forum and you'll find stories of 504's with 505 bits, Volvo bits even some Aussie bits.

See Dave McBeans site for much hot up info... etc

Keep posting, tell us of your car, your life, your country.

And we'll post back to you.

Welcome to Aussiefrogs

cheers ed ge (84 Ti 504) + wagons + 403s

Thanks guys!

I just viewed 504 weights,our diesel weights 1260kg and GL version 1180kg.
Old prv 2850cc weights with (L-)Jet 170kg and Indenor 2.3 XD2 188kg.
I am pretty sure that ZPJ4 weights under 200kg, about the same as Indenor.

So my Peugeot had very good power/weight ratio then.

But I was just thinking can I keep my suspension original? Or is it too soft and hard to handle then? GL has same suspension as GLD right?:confused:

EDIT: I added new pic of my engines valves,looks a little bit different than old prv6 :D
http://kivialho.1g.fi/kuvat/PRV6/IM000385.JPG

Last edited:
I just wondering, what I have to do if I buy a supercharger on my ZPJ4 and remove the fuel injection and add carburattors.

This is just a plan,I maybe consired it. :)

I maybe get more power with three duplex carburattors and Supercharger than Supercharger and with that crappy fenix.

Is there any superchargers to V6?

504 would look incredibly beautiful with supercharger and that little scoop in the hood :) Something like this:
http://www.andrev8.com.br/dodgebh2003/Dodge_blower.jpg

:D

Me thinks you a little mad Erska.

How fast should a 30 year old family car go?

I'm sure you will tell us. In the meantime, why not a mid-mounted, big block nitro-methane, supercharged Ovlov?

ed ge

Erska said:
I just wondering, what I have to do if I buy a supercharger on my ZPJ4 and remove the fuel injection and add carburattors.

I maybe get more power with three duplex carburattors and Supercharger than Supercharger and with that crappy fenix.

504 would look incredibly beautiful with supercharger and that little scoop in the hood :) Something like this:

Willkomen! Is that correct?

I'm sure Demannu will be in touch, you both seem to be of a like mind.

And I mean that in the best possible sense.

:cheers:

Mike.

I don't get it ... You wrecked a 24valve V6 XM to put it's motor in a tired rusty old 504 :confused: :confused: (I assume the XM was crashed because in every way it's a far better car than a 504) ......

I'd love to get my hands on a 24valve XM !!! 0-100 in about 7.8seconds aren't they ????? She'd be a bloody fast poogoe with that motor in it (given the light weight of the car :eek: ).

seeya,
Shane L.

A 3.0 24 valve 504 is a wicked idea.

With some appropriate steering and suspension modifications it should be a fantastic car.

And frankly, no one is going to miss another XM dropping off the road. In standard form the XM is a superior car but I'm sure you aware that there is something special about older cars that maybe in some ways deficient to newer cars, why else would you drive CX's DoubleChevron.

I hope you do complete the project Erska.

Thanks for your posts!

catshamlet: Welcome is in Germany wilkommen but in Finnish it is "tervetuloa".

DoubleChevron:You gotta be kidding? Xm is FWD,big,utopistic ugly and priceless oil leaking junk-yard in here.(this is only our opinion)
Only positive thing was the equipment in that car,motor was nice(of course, if it wasnt been I havent bought it.) and the interior. But everthing else! UGH!:mad:

Those crappy wires and electrics,I am still surprised why that wasnt burned. Hundreds of short circuits and broken wires.
And the suspension and parts design and all.

And my 504 IS NOT RUSTED old junk!

504 is more softer,more comfortable,older,stylish and nice looking than an "old" Xm.And of course RWD:cool: . I bought that car only becouse it had an rare ZPJ4 engine.
By the way,it cracked "she's" manual gearbox half way bringing it home trip!

Louis: It seems that you know what I have been talking about :)

XM in here is called "the big cat" :roflmao: Nobody wants Xm here in Finland,every xm is completly worn-out. Execpt mine,but I didnt buy those taxes, I bought it "tax-free" from Germany. The price was 900€,if I had bought it for road use taxes had been 3500€uros. So maybe that was the reason. So that is the reason why I bought it so cheap:)

But I am still not sure what I do with that fuel injection. I maybe bought carbs or then not :D

I hope you guys understood what I was talking about.

Last edited:
DoubleChevron said:
I don't get it ... You wrecked a 24valve V6 XM to put it's motor in a tired rusty old 504 :confused: :confused: (I assume the XM was crashed because in every way it's a far better car than a 504) ......

I'd love to get my hands on a 24valve XM !!! 0-100 in about 7.8seconds aren't they ????? She'd be a bloody fast poogoe with that motor in it (given the light weight of the car :eek: ).

seeya,
Shane L.

Settle down Shane, I think Erska may have something.

I'm going to look out for a 504 (may have to travel to Saudi) and rip it's cart springs out and swap them into my XM, get rid of all that over complicated electric crap, carve a tranmission tunnel and convert her to RWD :eek:

Cheers
Chris

GreenBlood said:
Settle down Shane, I think Erska may have something.

I'm going to look out for a 504 (may have to travel to Saudi) and rip it's cart springs out and swap them into my XM, get rid of all that over complicated electric crap, carve a tranmission tunnel and convert her to RWD :eek:

Cheers
Chris

a cit with proper suspension

now that is something i have to see :banana: :banana:

i'm just waiting for Erska to give up hope and just send all the bits over here so i can utilise them for another project :D

I'm not sure why your thinking about carbies and stuff. Move the fuel injection harnesses and ECU's across and take advantage of the computer optimized fueling and spark. You'll lose considerable power for sure if you try to go back to carbies. From the XM grab the fuel pump(s), fuel tank and all the bits 'n' pieces you need to do this.

I'd still fix the XM everytime, it'd kill any poogoe ever made :whip: :whip: :whip: :mallet:

BTW: Did you check the motor carefully :confused: Didn't the early 24valve V6's have oil pressure issues :confused:

seeya,
Shane L.

DoubleChevron said:
I'd still fix the XM everytime, it'd kill any poogoe ever made

Now, why would you go and make yourself look like an even bigger chump with a retarded comment like that? I guess you seem to enjoy spouting off inane dribble.

Don't you feel at least somewhat embarassed coming onto this forum and getting laughed at for your idiotic ramblings?

Erska said:

Me thinks too you a little mad Erska!

How on earth you can ever get license plates or registration to that cocktail?
Knowing that in Finland these modifications are not very much supported by officials...

But good luck and I hope that I will see your car on the road someday.

Erska, you go dawg, do want you want to do! It is great to have a vision, practical or not, popular or not. You get it done and it's going to be all yours, not another in the world like it, even if it somehow doesn't turn out exactly the way you initially envisioned. Me thinks you a little mad too, Erska, but I am cheering for you.
Thanos

Last edited:
Thanks for the encourage!:)

Pate is right,my modifications are really hard to get in legal here. But I have some little tricks what I will do before registration :) .

Hey,everybody thinks that I am a wacko,but I still complete my project. I will!:)

...and what's wrong with a little Cit/Pug rivalry???

Louis said:
Now, why would you go and make yourself look like an even bigger chump with a retarded comment like that? I guess you seem to enjoy spouting off inane dribble.

Don't you feel at least somewhat embarassed coming onto this forum and getting laughed at for your idiotic ramblings?

Hey Louis, that's a little harsh yeah? especially when you only quote one part of Shanes reply (which anyone on this forum would know is very much tongue in cheek)

Shane has offered some practical advice to a project, that - well let's face it would be a huge undertaking. Shane makes no secret as to his bias toward Citroen and that particular car 24v 5 speed manual didn't make it to Australia. Citroen folk here would see it as extreamly desirable and would shudder to think it is being broken as a doner to a 504.

We appreciate the circumstances are somewhat different for Erska (and even perhaps for you in NZ), and can only wish him well with his project, he will get all the advice and assistance available via our forum.

Erska would have to have a sense of humour or he would not be embarking on this project, he appears to have taken any comments made in the light hearted way they were intended - maybe you should take a leaf and lighten up.

Cheers
Chris

Erska said:

Pate is right,my modifications are really hard to get in legal here. But I have some little tricks what I will do before registration :) .

Hey,everybody thinks that I am a wacko,but I still complete my project. I will!:)
Erska,

Mate all the best, i think that is sounds like a really interesting project. 504's when in good nic can always do with a bit more power. Of course you are going to complete it and i am sure that your 504 wil thankyou and reward you with years of service.

Please keep us all updated with pictures:).

later

shobbz

Erska said:

Don't worry Greenblood, Luis seems to have a real infierority complex about his poogoe :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: Maybe he's sick of Citroens leaving the the old Poogoe eating dust.

Erska, do you still have the XM. I'll check the workshop manual and see if it covers the 24valve V6. The easiest way to get this motor running will be to wire in the pre-existing computers and wiring harnesses. Be warned this isn't a job for the faint hearted. Given you have the ability to get this motor to fit in the 504, I have no doubt you will get the motor running using it's injection if i can find the wiring diagrams.

Can you get hold of a petrol tank from an injected 504 :confused: The XM tank even if fitted may be to much for the 504's rear suspension.... Possibly as a real challenge you could move the hydractive XM suspension across, you then wouldn't need to worry about the weight of the fuel tank and motor :roflmao: :roflmao: she'd all simply self level. You would also then have best handling and riding 504 in the world :banana: The XM fuel tank is 80litres so may flatten the old 504 rear springs out when filled.

One easy way around the fueling maybe to fit an LPG gas research system. If you tuned the car well to run on LPG it should be cheaper to run and still quite fast (you may struggle once again with the weight of the LPG tank in the boot though).

seeya
Shane L.