505 Wagon roof racks

gecko558

Fellow Frogger
On the weekend, I will pick up my 'new' 505 GTi wagon - an '87 5 speed that has only covered 143000 km... :) It is immaculate!

At the risk of sounding completely ignorant (this is my first wagon) how does one attach roof racks? It has the standard chrome rails & strips on the roof, but it seems that the outer two chrome racks are tracks. I wanting to put bars across the roof to carry a luggage pod. I am assuming that there are racks for sale that run across the car, attached to the tracks (and not the rails). Am I right? Does anyone have bars out there that might be for sale?

Any tips appreciated...

Jeff

gecko558 said:
On the weekend, I will pick up my 'new' 505 GTi wagon - an '87 5 speed that has only covered 143000 km... :) It is immaculate!

I have no idea at all about the roofrack - but just want to say what a lucky b*gger you are ! I chased a low mileage cracker of a 89 505 GTI Wagon (one family car) for about 3 years. It was always on the verge of being sold, but then the family would decide to keep it, then thought they would sell it, then keep it....
Like an unrequited love affair, I had to walk away, and not drive anywhere near the suburb where they lived for a long time.

Well that's my therapy session done - good luck with sorting out your roofrack!

racks

I have some gutter mount racks if you are interested
they will carry more weight than the chrome bars attached to roof
keep an eye out for rust around the chrome bars it is very common there
Alpine

The original 505 wagon racks are good for 100kgs or more, according to official figures - how much do you intend to carry up there? Don't forget your centre of gravity!

gecko558 said:

At the risk of sounding completely ignorant (this is my first wagon) how does one attach roof racks? It has the standard chrome rails & strips on the roof, but it seems that the outer two chrome racks are tracks. I wanting to put bars across the roof to carry a luggage pod. I am assuming that there are racks for sale that run across the car, attached to the tracks (and not the rails). Am I right? Does anyone have bars out there that might be for sale?

Any tips appreciated...

Jeff

Have a look at Haynes manual Number 762 (Peugeot 505, 1979 -1989, 1796cc, 1971cc, 1995cc, 2165cc). :wink2:
On Page 6 there is a full photograph of a 505 GTI Family Estate (1987 model). This shows the side rails and the configuration of the cross rails. :wink2:
I have a 1986 505 Estate (1971cc) and it has the side rails but no cross rails. I have never used the side rails. Instead, I have 2 gutter mounted cross bars on my car. The front one is mounted near enough to the front of the front door so you don't hit your head getting in or out and the rear one is mounted just behind the 'C' pillar (back of the back door).
I have carried sheets of MDF and chipboard and the odd bed as well as 6 metre lengths of steel pipe without any problems. :nownow:
However, I do endorse the comment about the centre of gravity. I don't know the weight of the largest load of steel tube I have had on, but there is a need to travel around corners more cautiously. :nownow: Otherwise the Estate is a very strong car. :wink2: Mine has done at least 400,000 miles (not Ks) with very little ever going wrong. :)
Good Luck
Roland

Last edited:
I've been wondering the same since I bought my wagon. Does Super Cheap or anyone else sell adjustable bars that would mount on the side rails? They seem pretty useless on the later wagons which don't even have the chrome tracks under them like the earlier wagons.
Philip

gecko558 said:

Any tips appreciated...

Jeff
Hi Jeff
I have a 1991 505 wagon and I have roof racks that clamp to the side rails and they have a locking system to lock them on the car.
I think they are made by rhino I will have a look when I get home tonight
I think your 87 wagon has the same side rails ,I had a 88 gti wagon it had the same side rails as my 91 but they both dont have strips on the roof?
regards jamie you can phone me on 0408 426774

Roof decoration :roflmao:
I used the racks on our SI 505 to carry fishing rods. The longatudal racks on our current (505 SII)one look good but would be useless for carrying anything at all really. They only run along the car.
Jamie, I haven't seen a SII 505 with any roof rack across the car either.
I would go for something like a Rola style of rack as they are purchased made to measure to your particular vehicle and are fairly secure because they use a security type od torx screw.
:2cents:
Chris

Last edited:
1pugnut said:
Hi Jeff
I have a 1991 505 wagon and I have roof racks that clamp to the side rails and they have a locking system to lock them on the car.
I think they are made by rhino I will have a look when I get home tonight
I think your 87 wagon has the same side rails ,I had a 88 gti wagon it had the same side rails as my 91 but they both dont have strips on the roof?
regards jamie you can phone me on 0408 426774

The racks are made by THULE no rhino
there is a number on them it is 1054 and they can hold 100kg I think that would be each
regads jamie

1pugnut said:
The racks are made by THULE no rhino
there is a number on them it is 1054 and they can hold 100kg I think that would be each
regads jamie

Thanks all. I will investigate the THULE option, as I only intend on carrying light loads up there. :)
Jeff

gecko558 said:
Jeff

Wow what a find!:party:

Jeff can I ask how much you paid for it?