rear beam grease nipple mod

bazgti

Fellow Frogger
i undersand there is a mod that you do to the rear beam of the 205 where you put grease nipples in to grease the beam bearing.
could someone who has done this possibly supply a photo of where the grease nipple gets put in.thanks -BAZZ

bazgti said:
i undersand there is a mod that you do to the rear beam of the 205 where you put grease nipples in to grease the beam bearing.
could someone who has done this possibly supply a photo of where the grease nipple gets put in.thanks -BAZZ

Baz

I recently stripped and rebuilt the rear beam of a 205SI. The modification you refer to has been discussed in this forum I think - but it refers to replacing the needle roller bearings in the rear beam with custom machined [bronze] bushes. A grease nipple to try to re-grease the existing needle roller bearings (and there are two on each side) would not work because the bearings are enclosed and there would be no way the grease could be made to penetrate to the rollers themselves.

Anyway, as I see it, the 'problem' with this design and failure of the needle roller bearings is caused by an action known as brinelling where (in this instance) the pressure on an individal roller in the bearing is great enough to cause the roller (over time) to dig into the trailing arm shaft. The result is that both the needle roller bearing and the trailing arm shaft are destroyed. In other words the bearing and shaft failure are caused by the internal contact pressure of individual needle rollers.

I have been told that some people fill the refurbished rear beam with heavy grade oil as a way of ensuring the bearings are lubricated. However this won't prevent a brinelling problem.

I concluded that the only viable repair process was to simply replace the bearings and the shafts (both sides). You can get replacement bearings and seals as a complete kit from http://www.eai.net.au/ (less than from Peugeot where they are sold individually). The shafts are somewhat pricey at about $180 each and came from Peugeot (each needs to be pressed into the trailing arm).

Finally there is a good article of the repair process at http://www.205gtidrivers.com/articles.php?data=b-rearbeamrefurb
and I think this link may have been provided previously on Froggy Forum.

cheers

Denis

Denis said:
Baz

I recently stripped and rebuilt the rear beam of a 205SI. The modification you refer to has been discussed in this forum I think - but it refers to replacing the needle roller bearings in the rear beam with custom machined [bronze] bushes. A grease nipple to try to re-grease the existing needle roller bearings (and there are two on each side) would not work because the bearings are enclosed and there would be no way the grease could be made to penetrate to the rollers themselves.

Anyway, as I see it, the 'problem' with this design and failure of the needle roller bearings is caused by an action known as brinelling where (in this instance) the pressure on an individal roller in the bearing is great enough to cause the roller (over time) to dig into the trailing arm shaft. The result is that both the needle roller bearing and the trailing arm shaft are destroyed. In other words the bearing and shaft failure are caused by the internal contact pressure of individual needle rollers.

I have been told that some people fill the refurbished rear beam with heavy grade oil as a way of ensuring the bearings are lubricated. However this won't prevent a brinelling problem.

I concluded that the only viable repair process was to simply replace the bearings and the shafts (both sides). You can get replacement bearings and seals as a complete kit from http://www.eai.net.au/ (less than from Peugeot where they are sold individually). The shafts are somewhat pricey at about $180 each and came from Peugeot (each needs to be pressed into the trailing arm).

Finally there is a good article of the repair process at http://www.205gtidrivers.com/articles.php?data=b-rearbeamrefurb
and I think this link may have been provided previously on Froggy Forum.

cheers

Denis

I think the problem is more one of water getting in and causing rust.
The grease is a attempt tp keep the water out.
Graham

These are good links to assist in anyone wanting to get rid of squeaky rear suspension on older peugeot Citroen with trailing arm needle bearings

A quick fix for anyone with noisy rear beam so they can then have time to save up for bearing change or just use noise free with existing bearings

Most common cars I have fitted a nipple to are 306 206 and citroen C5 phase 1 and 2

Works well and stops noise on 99% of cars straight away

Thought I'd add a few links so all of U out there know how easy it is to do
images.jpeg

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-08-24-07-29-17-63_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-08-24-07-29-17-63_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 97
None of the 205/306 beams I have serviced have survived any longer with nipples fitted. Sorry, nothing is better than regular maintenance. It's actually really poor when the swarf from drilling & tapping is left inside.

i fitted some grease nipples on my 405 either the mi 16 or srdt i cant remember ,i do recall haveing to get a S Load of grease in there to fill up the arm ,

I would guess that it probably takes 150k km to stuff the bearings. I agree with Denis #2 "brinelling". I replaced mine at about 280k, only because they rattled turning during bitumen motorkhanas with a rear wheel off the ground and tyres (50x195's) rubbed on the inner guards.
Yes after replacing they did stop rattling and the tyres only rubbed paint off the inside of the guards now and then. As far as handling improvement after replacement (With less camber) I saw no difference.

Every five years strip it and put it back together with new seals etc.

x2 what peter said
drilling and packing the beam with grease wont prevent / solve the problem
instead remove the whole beam, strip down and rebuild with new components
the bearings, seals, and half shafts can be bought as a kit and there's lots of links for guidance above
also, in australia 205 rear beams are old but virtually corrosion free which is a whole other headache avoided

A rebuilt beam in my old 306 transformed the car. Well worth doing and not a huge expense every 5 years or so.