106GTI.......geee

DTwo

Fellow Frogger
In my search for the EVO article on 205gti vs everything (see <a href="http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000443" target="_blank">205GTI in latest EVO magazine</a> ), I stubbled across an article with a new Mini vs other things.....one of them was a 106gti....

"The pert Pug, of course, is the Mini's natural nemesis. So unconcerned is it with fashion and designerish details that it's the only car in the group with olde-worlde ribbed headlight lenses. Heinous. Moreover, its interior is as plasticky as a day in Legoland and the standard of fit and finish every bit as ordinary as the Mini's is special. But it says 'GTI' on the tin in bright red letters and that's exactly what the 106 is ? purely, simply and supremely. Only three things really matter. It's very light, it's powered by a 120bhp 16-valve engine with more fizz than Tango and its suspension encapsulates the sum of Peugeot's considerable knowledge in the field of handling. This car is so focused it's almost on fire. "

gee....and....

"The Pug's primary weapon, of course, is fun. It feels smaller and more handy than the Mini. Its steering isn't as alive to small initial inputs but, with some lock wound on, it's a miracle of lucidity and transparency. And whereas you have to relax behind the wheel of the Mini and be very literal with your hand inputs if you're not to over-drive it, the 106 positively relishes being grabbed by the scruff of the neck and thrashed to within an inch of its life. It doesn't seem to matter how extreme you get with it, how ludicrous the liberties you take on the edge of adhesion, it always seems to have a few tricks in reserve that will pull you through. The harder you drive the Peugeot, the better it gets. The tirelessly crazy-to-rev engine, the gymnastic chassis, the lightning gearshift, the stonky brakes ? all conspire to give you the best of times if you're in the mood for a serious blast."

The Mini ended up winning the comparison as an overall car.......but doesn't that 106 sound great? :D
________
Garbryelle live

Last edited:
Well that basically sums up the reason i got my 205 GTi.
The 106 GTi is almost the suscessor to the 205GTi. Pity they aint sold in NZ, I dont think u can get any 106s here, how aout Aussie???
I disagree with the looks, they look nice, esp the series 2, very smooth.

Izza

Izza,

106GTIs were sold here for a short time, from '98.
I know of a few in Wellington, and in fact Supreme, the Peugeot dealer here, have one for sale at the moment. Diablo red, a 98 I think, nice condition, and going for about $18K.

Cheers
Mark

Mark & Izza,

106's are not sold in Oz. Unfortunately Peugeot Marketing ruled out the 106 as being too small for the average V8 Ozzie meat head........how right they were...!!!

106's are everywhere in Europe......they look fantastic, especially in Ralley spec.

Cosmo

I think the main reason 106s were not brought out here (Australia) was simply price.....and price can make or break a car in that catagory...

EG Citroen AXGT....great car, but a 1.4lt small car for $20,000+?....and that was years ago...hyun-dies were even less than $15,999 then:)

either way it's a shame, the 106gti sounds like quite a car.....and the 205's just too big anyway:D
________
Laguna Beach Resort Jometien Condos

Last edited:
205's too big?????? Are u MAD???????
One thing i dont like about the 106's is that apparently if your over six foot (like me) it's a real pain of a driving position.
Every now and again u see a 106 Clubsport (Rallye???) for sale here in NZ. I think they were brought out for a one make race series which never got off the ground. I saw one once and it was fully prepared by Peugeot Sport (roll cage, adjustable suspension, lsd, the WORKS). All this for only $14000 at the time. Absolute bargin. I wanna get one as a rally car, or possibley a track car. Though I'd have to pry myself out of the 205 first :D

Izza

I love 106 rallye/clubsport/GTI/XSis, mmmm. In Auckland you see quite a few Rallyes and XSi's if you keep your eye open. I went to the NZ rally last year with this dude Sam who has a 106 clubsport fully kitted out, roll cage, worked 1600, not sure of the transmission specs like LSD etc. It is covered in "SUPREME PEUGEOT WELLINGTON".

I don't really understand the Australian car market, you guys miss out on so many cool Euros. And the ones you do get, the prices are outrageous!!.

I can't stand the classic australian pushrod v8 culture, in motor all they can talk about is how tiny the pedals in the 206 are, really get over it, stick to bloody Commodores I guess.

Anyway back to the 106, pity it lacked a bit in power, 120hp and more weight makes it a bit of a let down as a 205 gti successor. How much $NZ would you pay for a Rallye model?

I heard some news going round that they will bring the 107 to aus when it is released. Does anyone know whether they are going to release the C3 here?

Evo and Car are great for information on euro hatches. The iussue of evo was mentioned above where they took the 205 to the track, in a more recent issue they take out a miami blue 1.9 reconditioned by LAD motorsport and put it up against 307, Corolla Tsport, Civic Type R etc. The 205 seems more on the money for thrills. Got my hands on a copy of Performance Car mag from jan 1987 when 1.9 first came out, up against Mk2 Golf GTi 16v, they were a lot cheaper than the golf (in england anyway). They give the 205 a good write up.

<strong>I don't really understand the Australian car market, you guys miss out on so many cool Euros. And the ones you do get, the prices are outrageous!!.

I can't stand the classic australian pushrod v8 culture, in motor all they can talk about is how tiny the pedals in the 206 are, really get over it, stick to bloody Commodores I guess.</strong>

Our thoughts exactly, Louis. I for one wouldn't waste my money on Motor! I contibute to another forum (or, used to..) where the biggest news EVER was the new Monaro. What a bloody yawn.

Stuey

Exactly, Monaro, ooooh WOW. Come on it's a two door Commodore with an ever bigger V8 (which aint a Holden engine, it's a chev). I used to hate all V8s with a vengence, until my mate introduced me to the BMW V8 (aka M5), Ferrari V8s and of course the Rover V8 , now those are engines!!!!

When I got me 205 I was sorely tempted to get a 106 Rallye instead, saw one for $8000 in Wellington, looked in real good nick too. Nearly booked a flight and a ferry sailing back. But instead I found my 205 GTi for half the price.

Izza

I love V8s, I just hate old American pushrod V8s..

Audi A6 V8, Mercedes V8s, BMW V8s, Jag V8s, Ferrari, Maserati etc, all fine V8s :) ))

And the Monaro dosn't have the same classy look as other "sedans turned coupe". Ie 406 Coupe, 3 series coupe etc.

Louis & Izza,

The reason for V8's & big sixes in Australia is because our roads & distances are LONG & FLAT and straight.....petrol is pretty cheap too. However an interesting point also.....remember aussie cars don't do much for me.......BUT.....in the latest March issue of EVO, they test the Commodore HSV with the supercharged V8 Yank Tank.....& loved it. Coming from a mag that idolises the 205....that's not too bad. Anyway....I'm still thinking of the best way (easiest & cheapest) to get my 75 kw 205 to 90kw & more.....
Cosmo

What options have you looked at for increasing power? I looked into chipping my S1 but didn't go down that path, instead bought a S2 motor and replaced my old one. Does anyone know of any cases of people privately importing 106's into Australia, like some of the imported 205's and 405's here?

Just a quick note on the whole V8 thing....

Love them or hate them, ( and i'm going to sound like murat here wink )
When it comes to giving "power to the people" ford (Australia)/holden are doing very well....

I'm hard pressed to think of any car anywhere in the world you can buy straight of the showroom floor with a 6spd gearbox and 220+kw for less than $40,000aus (manual commodore V8 excutive).

good, bad or indifferent.....that still deserves a smidgen of respekt :D

I think it's a good thing they are there......and the road would be alot less colourful (probably less dangerous too, but we won't go there :rolleyes: ) without them.

The LS1 (when it's built properly from the factory, anyway) is not a bad engine by any measurement.....primitive some aspects of it may be in design, but it is an efficient and powerful engine for what it is.

for the record though, i think V8s are wasteful on a whole pile levels and shouldn't really be neccesary for a road car.......but hey that's just me approve

<small>[ 14 April 2002, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: DTwo ]</small>
________
Vaporizer Review

Last edited:
For the record I like the latest Commodores and the Monaro, they're just not that exciting to me compared to the other stuff being churned out around the world...like...

...Louis, the next BMW M3 is going to be a V8...

Stuey

The problem is not the v8 cars (They r great to drive)
The problem is in the majority of owners who can't seem to look past them and see and respect other great cars out there.
To be honest the new all alloy chev is not primitive as one seems it is made from all alloy (Very light 185kg)
Composite inlet manifold (With direct fire ignition coils under them)
Heaps of weight saveing features in its design Cast alloy baffled sump.
Lets face it the holdens build quality is pretty ordinary to say the least (But who cares if they r fun and they r great cars to drive)
The economy on the freeway is most likely better than my 4cyl 205.
They tow great and as dtwo put it value for money.
It is going to be good blowing them away with my 205 turbo eek! eek! tongue :)

Murat

I agree with the statment that it aint so much the engines or car but the owners to make the car culture. Just look at rotory owners (lol)

Anyway back to the 106 topic:
Awwwwww man check this out:

For Sale
106 Clubsport (Rallye) 1994, 43,000km, Ex Grp N Touring car, top race history, free flow exhaust avail, 6" alloys with A008R Yokos, spare road tyres avail plus many spares NZ$10,500 ono

GIMME GIMME GIMME

Hmm ok the LS1 is a good engine I guess, I just can't get over the fact they design a whole new engine and STILL they use pushrod. Are GM too cheap/lazy/poor too develop a DOHC 4valve head? Practically everyone else in the world has, just shows to me that GM is still their old poor self.

Izza: Nice :) I would love a rallye, sitting on OZ Racing rallye wheels, nice'n'low, cams, intake, exhaust, port polish etc etc, I just loove the sound the TU engine in Rallye's make when on full throttle.

Louis:
Hmm ok the LS1 is a good engine I guess, I just can't get over the fact they design a whole new engine and STILL they use pushrod. Are GM too cheap/lazy/poor too develop a DOHC 4valve head? Practically everyone else in the world has, just shows to me that GM is still their old poor self.
Perhaps it has something to do with the height of the engine? I couldnt believe how big the head is on my car, it was only when I looked down the spark plug hole, must be a good 8 inches.

I believe one of the other reasons why the 106 wasn't brought over is that it couldn't meet ADRs, as it had no side intrusion bars (surely that wouldn't be hard to fix).

About the LS1. Isn't that the engine with basket case reliability. What is it, 10-15% of engines from the US end up as duds in peoples cars. Having heard some stories, I wouldn't be surprised :)