NZ 205 Gti Turbo

slon001

Tadpole
Hi All, just posting a few pics of my 205 gti that finally got running and driveable in the weekend.

Its the second 205 turbo i've had, my last one had a turbo technics engine i got out of a wrecked car. That engine got a bit tired and the turbo (T25) really ran out of puff once I went for any reasonable boost levels above about 1 bar.

So this car was done from scratch again, newly rebuilt engine onto which i made some 4-1 heavy wall headers. The turbo is now a T3 with large T4 compressor wheel, and i'm using water to air intercooling rather than air to air in the last car. Exhaust is 3" all the way which was very tight to make fit through the subframe!. Engine control is by LinkPlus ECU with multi-coil ignition (no distributor) and larger injectors and fuel pump with a toyota throttle body so i get closed loop idle control too. The computer also enables anti-lag, launch control and full throttle gearshifting. Also have two knock sensors installed which the computer will monitor and retard timing if necessary. Will be running around 18psi boost pressure.

I've put big brakes on it (Alfa 164 284mm discs on the front and new caliper brakets to suit, convert from jap import drums to discs in the back), koni adjustable shocks and quaiffe lsd (thanks for the group buy jeff!)

Best thing is with the bonnet on there is no clues that it has been modified at all, I have some side skirts but no other flashy body mods apart from different wheels.

Still a lot of work to go finishing off and tuning but looking forward to doing some kms in it!. Will be used for weekend drives, hill climbs and club racing.

will post some more updates once the development is a bit further on.

simon

- I now have a conplete set of parts (all turbo technics based) to turbocharge another 205, includes full exhaust system, turbo, manifold, intercooler and plumbing, larger air flow meter, boost timing retard for distributor etc. Any one interested in maybe buying this stuff let me know. NZ based preferably.

Attachments

• SIM 012.jpg
    SIM 012.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 4,715
  • SIM 013.jpg
    SIM 013.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 3,758
  • SIM 014.jpg
    SIM 014.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 3,681
  • SIM 015.jpg
    SIM 015.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 1,997
  • SIM 016.jpg
    SIM 016.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,079
forgot to say that i brought the body shell from a wreckers. The body and paint are excellent and it cost me the grand total $1000NZ, was complete with everything there, only thing wrong was a blown head gasket...

Nice, that's really squished in there, any advantages using water to air cooling over your last set-up? Oh and what type/size wheels are they - :D

Hi Simon

Great to see the 205 finished, and looking at the photos you've done a great job, well done. I'm sure you will surprise a few people with that car.

Look forward to seeing it running, are you going to run at Hiwi Rd on the 3rd?

Ross :renault:

All i can say is WOW.
That is awesome. Well done that is prob one of the neatest 205 engine bays i have ever seen (most of them look like crap)

That conversion looks unreal..im in awe. Its so tidy and profesional.

How much power dou expect the car to make?

Got any more pics?

LSD, why do you need an LSD :confused: :roflmao:

If you didn't follow the disucussion had a while back with our 'unique' member turbopeugeot, have a read here, starting at Post #10. What a :joker:

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13635&page=1&pp=25&highlight=lsd

Beautiful example of this rarely seen modification though. But the question is, how hard does it go? Did you have a goal for HP and how far have you got so far?

Awesome work slon001.

Nice to see a hot 205 in Auckland.

Apart from the drums, 14" wheels, low-power motor and interior are there any structural differences between the Euro-spec GTi's and the Jap-import GTi's that appear on our roads in Auckland?

When I get round to getting one I think I'll probably end up with a Jap-import seeing as they're fairly common but I just hope the chassis/suspension is identical to that of the Euro 205 GTi's.

Ross said:
Hi Simon

are you going to run at Hiwi Rd on the 3rd?

Just out of curiosity is this a Peugeot/French car related event? Probably not I guess but I'm keen to get into Peugeot/French car events.

Hi Guys, cheers for the comments, good to get some feedback from other pug enthusiasts as i don't actually know that many here!. will try and answer some of the questions..

Gidday Ross, am aiming to get there on the 3rd but will have to see how the fine tuning goes. If i do will pretty much be a shakedown to make sure everything is working ok.

And yes, i'm pretty happy with the LSD so far, my last car would spin the inside wheel in 5th gear during cornering.. a neccesity for any high power fwd i reckon. (despite some opinion to the contrary as noted ;-) )

i like the water-air intercooling as it was a bit easier to package into a 205 (no big front mount with big pipes to fit in) and you get a nice short intake length. also a lot more thermal mass in the system with the water to give better control of charge temp. I've also still got the two radiator fans, one for engine temp and one connected to the computer to come on if the intercooler water temp is too high.

not sure on power figures, but i should be able to run 18-20psi ok with the engine as it is, with correct fuel and ignition. i would say it would be at least 260hp but thats for the dyno to figure out!. only drove it yesterday so no performance figures yet, but it felt about as fast at 8-9psi as the old car at 20psi.

i started with a jap import 1.9 they are basically exactly the same as a euro 1.6, ie drum brakes on rear, 14" wheels, smaller front hubs / driveshafts and lower ratio gearbox. also most have sunroofs which is not so good for chassis stiffness. i've converted most of the stuff on mine now but have stuck with the low ratio box.

Louis said:
Awesome work slon001.

Nice to see a hot 205 in Auckland.

Apart from the drums, 14" wheels, low-power motor and interior are there any structural differences between the Euro-spec GTi's and the Jap-import GTi's that appear on our roads in Auckland?

When I get round to getting one I think I'll probably end up with a Jap-import seeing as they're fairly common but I just hope the chassis/suspension is identical to that of the Euro 205 GTi's.

Just out of curiosity is this a Peugeot/French car related event? Probably not I guess but I'm keen to get into Peugeot/French car events.

Hi Louis

No its a Fiat Club Waikato organised event, part of the Toyo Tarmac Series. There is a wide range of cars competing including a few french cars. The Peugeot Car Club (Auckland) is fairly active but not into speed events.

Louis said:
I take it is a competition event, not something I could turn up to with my standard 504 Ti?

Lots of standard road cars take part

All you need is a club sport licence, overalls, helmet, fire extingisher, and car must pass scrutineering.