Graham Can we have a Megasquirt update

jarrods said:
Just wondering how you were going with the megasquirt.

Jarrod

I have built the unit and tested it with the simulator that I built up from parts obtained from Jaycar ($40).
I am at present fitting the sensors to the engine ( obtained from Commodore, Daihatsu etc) and this afternoon hope to have the engine and box in the car. It should be going by early next week and I'll bring it to Morwell. Received your entry by the way.
If all goes well I will be fitting one to the 205 GTI, not sure what engine yet, though.
Do you have an engine mount for STI/GTI, the one from the rubber mount to the cross member? I'm also after an electronic ignition module.
Graham

graham, whats the deal with this megasquirt deal... ive heard a lot of rant, but no facts, no one thats used them, no one that really knows anything... is it something i should be concerning myself with? i have the ovlov 760 motor, mpfi, and plan to upgrade it eventually... something i need to be looking into?

thanks, Janek

p.s. i will start a thread about this megasquirt stuff... megasquirt: NFI?

Janek said:
graham, whats the deal with this megasquirt deal... ive heard a lot of rant, but no facts, no one thats used them, no one that really knows anything... is it something i should be concerning myself with? i have the ovlov 760 motor, mpfi, and plan to upgrade it eventually... something i need to be looking into?

thanks, Janek

p.s. i will start a thread about this megasquirt stuff... megasquirt: NFI?

If you go to the megasquirt website (google megasquirt) all will be revealed.
Basically though, it comes a box of parts which you assemble yourself into an ECU. You need to have electronics experience (in particular, soldering of small components onto PC boards) to do this. It cost me $200 Aus landed.
The CPU is preloaded with the operating software and you down load the communication software for the lap top from the website.
There is heaps of info on the web site and even a forum where users discuss successes, problems etc.
I'm prepared to build and test ECUs for people, this will add significantly to the cost but it still works out very cheap compared to Haltech etc.
On of the attractions is that it is fuel only (although add on ignition systems are available) and is triggered by the ignition cicuit, making it very easy to set up. In other words ideal for people wishing to upgrade their carby, K,L Jetronic or Kugelfischer fuel systems.

Graham

GRAHAM WALLIS said:
I have built the unit and tested it with the simulator that I built up from parts obtained from Jaycar ($40).
I am at present fitting the sensors to the engine ( obtained from Commodore, Daihatsu etc) and this afternoon hope to have the engine and box in the car. It should be going by early next week and I'll bring it to Morwell. Received your entry by the way.
If all goes well I will be fitting one to the 205 GTI, not sure what engine yet, though.
Do you have an engine mount for STI/GTI, the one from the rubber mount to the cross member? I'm also after an electronic ignition module.
Graham

Graham

I should have both of those items but they go with the motor I have for sale. I dont have the wiring loom at the momemt but I may be able to get that back if you need it. If you want you can borrow them and replace them when you can. Let me know. I can bring them to the meeting on Friday if you want. Do you need both engine mounts?

Jarrod

jarrods said:
Graham

I should have both of those items but they go with the motor I have for sale. I dont have the wiring loom at the momemt but I may be able to get that back if you need it. If you want you can borrow them and replace them when you can. Let me know. I can bring them to the meeting on Friday if you want. Do you need both engine mounts?

Jarrod

Thanks for that Jarrod. I don't need the loom but would like to borrow the module, mount and just to be sure, the coil just in case my SR one isn't compatable.
It is the passenger side mount from cross member to rubber mount that I need.
Graham

sounds fine to me... i have a fair bit of experience repairing blown computer motherboards and the like, so soldering teeny bits and pieces is not an issue... sounds liek fun... you think its a worthy upgrade?

Janek said:
sounds fine to me... i have a fair bit of experience repairing blown computer motherboards and the like, so soldering teeny bits and pieces is not an issue... sounds liek fun... you think its a worthy upgrade?

Have a look at the Megasquirt website, plenty of people seem to be replacing K Jetronic sysytems
I'll let you know how mine goes next week.
Graham

Doesn't it squirt all the injectors at once though? Sounds a little inneficient to me if it does.

Pugnut403 said:
Doesn't it squirt all the injectors at once though? Sounds a little inneficient to me if it does.

Yes, but quite common. Only the more sophisticated systems use sequential injection.
The Megasquirt fires two injectors at a time.
Graham

jarrods said:
Just wondering how you were going with the megasquirt.

Jarrod

It goes!
I went out and bought some Aerostart after no success at first, still nothing so I checked the spark and then found out the rotor button had been pinched.
Runs fine, which is a relief after the motor had been sitting for quite a while.
I'll have it at Morwell on Sunday.
No doubt I will spending a fair amount of time with the laptop tuning before then.
Graham

graham, where did you get the software you need to tune the ecu via laptop? a part of the megasquirt bundle?

P.S. congrats, glad to see it all works!

Janek said:
graham, where did you get the software you need to tune the ecu via laptop? a part of the megasquirt bundle?

P.S. congrats, glad to see it all works!

You down load it from the megasquirt website.
I have got it running well at idle and it revs out OK when you open the throttle. I just need to reassemble the gearchange and fit the bonnet then I will be able to take it for a drive.

Graham

For anyone who's interested do a search for UltraMegasquirt too. That's the new soon to be released version with built in ignition timing control.

Something else for people interested in that sort of thing- a Aussie made standalone programmable ignition system : http://www.delta-digital.com.au/ (click on the Deltamax)

Pugnut403 said:
What's the advantage of Megasquirt over an ordinary ECU?

Ordinary as in standard?? Megasquirt is a programmable ecu (Fuel only). Although it was mentioned above that there is an Fuel+ignition one as well. While the standard Maps of an ecu (that comes with the car) cannot be changed (or very little if at all). The megasquirt can map the A/F ratios via laptop.

Like a not so expensive Wolf2D fuel only ecu. Although heading towards the Haltech's etc when it gets ignition capability.

Jono

crosspug said:
Ordinary as in standard?? Megasquirt is a programmable ecu (Fuel only). Although it was mentioned above that there is an Fuel+ignition one as well. While the standard Maps of an ecu (that comes with the car) cannot be changed (or very little if at all). The megasquirt can map the A/F ratios via laptop.

Like a not so expensive Wolf2D fuel only ecu. Although heading towards the Haltech's etc when it gets ignition capability.

Jono

It has very good tuning software and I managed to get it very close after an hour or two of driving around. This has got to save money in dyno time.
The system has been designed with economy and amateurs in mind and there is an on line forum where issues can be discussed.
Graham

GRAHAM WALLIS said:
It has very good tuning software and I managed to get it very close after an hour or two of driving around. This has got to save money in dyno time.
The system has been designed with economy and amateurs in mind and there is an on line forum where issues can be discussed.
Graham
Congratulaitons on the MS success. :banana: I have had a serious look at megasquirt and the combined megasquirt/megaspark systems and I was seriously considering installing one on the 505 wagon (with the 4 port head engine) when I rebuild it later this year. Sounds like a success so far, I'll keep my eye on this spot for updates.
What injection system did you decide on? Pugrambos suggestion of the falcon twin t/b sounded good on the weber manifold. I'd suggest it would be very good on the 4 branch one I have.
Chris L.

HONG KONG PUGGY said:
Congratulaitons on the MS success. :banana: I have had a serious look at megasquirt and the combined megasquirt/megaspark systems and I was seriously considering installing one on the 505 wagon (with the 4 port head engine) when I rebuild it later this year. Sounds like a success so far, I'll keep my eye on this spot for updates.
What injection system did you decide on? Pugrambos suggestion of the falcon twin t/b sounded good on the weber manifold. I'd suggest it would be very good on the 4 branch one I have.
Chris L.

I fitted it to a 505 GTI motor so the manifold and injector rail was already done.
It goes better than any GTI I've driven before, hitting 7000 and then valve bounce very quickly. You're very lucky to see 6000 in the STI and while the GTI may get to 7000 eventually I doubt that you'd reach the valve bounce point.
Why not use an SLI manifold, multi point has to be better, although I can see the rational if you don't have a 4 port head.

Graham