306 Gearbox

koppers

Fellow Frogger
Peoples, I have encounted some issues with my car. I'm looking for some advice thanks guys. Here is the story as follows:

Changing from 2nd to 3rd I develop a crunch, whether it be at low, medium, or high revs, it still happens. It is more noticable on a cold stat too. Even when I double clutch it, I can tell #rd gear doesn't really want to accept it. Additionally, 4th to 3rd = not possible. Not at all.

I thought to myself, synchromesh needs replacing, BUT sometimes when I am say rolling down a hill in neutral, and then apply the clutch to grab 4th, sometimes I get a bit of a crunch as well. :confused:

If anything was to go, I would have thought it would have been the synchro in 2nd, but, i have never really given it any curry from 2nd to 3rd, and definately not from 3rd to 4th.

This just occured out of the blue, went to drive to work one day, and yeh, "what the?" I don't drive the car very hard either, oh, and the model is a '96 306 XR.

I have the car booked in to be looked at this coming Monday.

1) What should I expect to be the problem?
2) What should I expect them to tell me is wrong?

I hope some of you can enlighten me as to wehats going on.

Many thanks.

Adam.

It could be well worn gear linkages which are preventing the proper input into the two selectors on the box. I replaced all mine, 2 small @ $20ea, one long, $30 and the ball joint, about $40. Did make the changes smoother but nothing huge. If the socket joints on yours are severly deteriorated, this could be the cause.

I got mine from Cullen & Sons in Nambour, very good service and parts turn around. I replaced mine in about 2 hours, you need to get under the car to do it.

My dad seems to think that the gear box will have to be 'reconditioned' To what extent I don't know, but his words were "it will cost at least $1000"

Now my dad (who knows the fundamentals) hasn't actually driven the car and experienced the problem, but said that to me after I explained to him, what i have for all of you.....

Brad, any others? Why would he say that, and you think its the linkages? :confused: I hope you are correct Brad :eek:

Adam.

pugrambo said:
could also be the clutch cable needing adjustment

Yeh, my money would be on either clutch or cable as well. Is it difficult to select a gear when the engine is running and you're stationary? Has the clutch takeup point changed at all? Mind you, your symptoms mention the 3/4 gear plane, so you really need more investigation.

N5GTi6 said:
Yeh, my money would be on either clutch or cable as well. Is it difficult to select a gear when the engine is running and you're stationary? Has the clutch takeup point changed at all? Mind you, your symptoms mention the 3/4 gear plane, so you really need more investigation.

lower gears are harder to get with a clutch out of wack then higher gears so i;d look at the cable first

I just recieved word from the mechanic as to the $$$ damage for the gear box and what exactly had to be done.

Apparently the 3rd/4th synchronising hub assembly needs replacing, obviously with OEM parts as there arn't any aftermarket Peugeot Parts. So for the Removal, replacement, repair, refitting and re-assembling of at all, the grand total of $1650 was calculated. :eek: The parts are on order from Melbourne town and will be here tomorrow.

What are everyone's thoughts? Is that resonable or what? I don;t know as at this point in time I only know the fundamentals of my car, and not the nitty gritties. And obviously I am not aware of the going prices for parts these days.

Look forward to your thoughts...

Adam.

$1650!!!! does that come with lubricant? :eek:

Ring Stuart at Peugeotech, 3260 7500. How's the clutch? Might be worth doing it at the same time as once the gearbox is off it's pretty simple, so I hear.

Cheers Brad, will fo.

They said that the part itself is $800. . . but yeh. . . $850 for labour? BVit rough I thought....

Thanks again....

And if anyone else has any thoughts on the topic, I would be very happy to hear from you, especially with regards to the specifics of the "3rd/4th synchronising hub assembly"

Adam.