205GTI electrical problem

gtisinz

Fellow Frogger
Does anyone know which engine electrical components (apart from the fan) are wired direct to the battery on a 205GTI ?

Something is failing to switch off and flattening the battery in my car. :(

From the humming and vibration, it's almost like it's in the fuel/injection system.....is that possible?

Any ideas?

Cheers
Mark

gtisinz:
Does anyone know which engine electrical components (apart from the fan) are wired direct to the battery on a 205GTI ?

Something is failing to switch off and flattening the battery in my car. :(

From the humming and vibration, it's almost like it's in the fuel/injection system.....is that possible?

Any ideas?

Cheers
Mark
Mark:
First no electrical equipment is wired directly to the battery.
Next: all electrical equipment is protected through fuses which for the GTI are either on a drop down panel in the glovebox, or at the front of the engine compartment.
Next: a lot of the electrical equipment is controlled using a relay. For the 205GTI, these control relays are mounted on the drop down fuse panel and in a box in the engine compartment (LHS near the bulkhead) and possibly other location(s) at the front of the engine bay.

From what you describe, it sounds like a relay has stuck - which could be the contacts have fused in which case you would want to know why, because in the rare event that a relay fails, it usually fails to the open position. So I suggest you identify what is operating - it sounds like the fuel pump, then progressively unplug each control relay to find which one controls it. At this point, you could probably swap with a similar relay (they are all mostly - but not necessarily) the same. It the 'punp' doesn't restart, then the relay was faulty.

Failing this, you could have a wiring problem. It doesn't sound like you have a short circuit.

Happy troubleshooting.

Denis

<small>[ 08 September 2002, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: Denis ]</small>

Thanks for that.

It definitely seems to be the fuel pump (as expected) as that's on a separate fuse, and it stops when I remove the fuse (no.14 in the glovebox set).

However, I can't find a relay which makes a difference (removed all 5 in the glovebox set progressively, and also the one in the box above passenger side wheelarch, but fuel pump stays on).

Does anyone know if the 205 fuel pump is on a separate relay, and if so, where it is?
Or alternatively, can a fuel pump just 'jam' on? And in that case, what's the fix? Replacing it?

Thanks in advance for any more info

cheers
Mark

Can't speak for a 205 but as an idea, the fuel pump relay on my BX 16V is under the bonnet on the inside of the drivers side front guard.
May be worth a look as the fuse box and other relays are in the same position as the BX.

Alan S

gtisinz:
Thanks for that.

It definitely seems to be the fuel pump (as expected) as that's on a separate fuse, and it stops when I remove the fuse (no.14 in the glovebox set).

However, I can't find a relay which makes a difference (removed all 5 in the glovebox set progressively, and also the one in the box above passenger side wheelarch, but fuel pump stays on).

Does anyone know if the 205 fuel pump is on a separate relay, and if so, where it is?
Or alternatively, can a fuel pump just 'jam' on? And in that case, what's the fix? Replacing it?

Thanks in advance for any more info

cheers
Mark
Mark,

My son has the 205 GTi (series 2) and has gone to work -- (so I can't have a look at his car) but to answer your questions:
The pump would be controlled by a relay - but where is it?. There are other locations on the 205 GTi - if you look at the front LHS of the engine bay you will find another two boxes with various relays in them. I suggest there for starters, and there may be more under the dash (drivers side) though I can't guarantee that.

Your problem would almost certainly be a stuck relay and depending on what has happened, that may be repairable (if you are comfortable with opening a relay case and working with the contacts).

Could it be the fuel pump? I would say most unlikely. They are very reliable and also the control fuse hasn't blown, so 'we' can deduce that the relay contact has not been overloaded.

It sounds like the problem is 'just' the relay.

Denis

<small>[ 11 September 2002, 08:13 AM: Message edited by: Denis ]</small>

If it an early model 205, pre 90, the relay that controls the fuel pump is found under the battery. It is in a little black box that is bolted to the chassis rail in front of the gearbox mount. There is also a fuse for the fuel pump in the box.

It may be easier to check if it is actually the fuel pump by disconnecting the pump. The connection for this is found under the drivers side back seat, below the larger of the two round black plastic cover.

I also have a problem with the battery going flat on my 205 and believe it is due to the ignition switch being faulty. Maybe worth checking

Thanks!
I am going to have to investigate further when it is light enough to see what I am doing!

It is a 1991 1.6GTI, if that makes a difference?

I was assuming the fuel pump because the humming stopped and there was no load on the battery with the fuel pump fuse (no.14) removed but everything else intact.

Finally found my fuel pump relay, attached to the ECU, under the dash.

Looks like the problem - tap the relay and the fuel pump goes off.

Local Peugeot dealer has quoted me NZ$275 for a new one - anyone know where I can get one (a lot) cheaper?

By the way, there was no access to the fuel pump from under the rear seats of my car - that must tbe the earlier models?

gtisinz:
Looks like the problem - tap the relay and the fuel pump goes off.

Local Peugeot dealer has quoted me NZ$275 for a new one - anyone know where I can get one (a lot) cheaper?
Mark,

All you seem to have is a sticking relay... there probably is nothing wrong with it. It sounds like all it needs are the contacts cleaned.

It is possible to open the relay with a small screwdriver or knife. All you do is lift the edge of the case on a couple of sides to allow it to be pulled off.

Once you have opened the relay, clean the contacts with some fine glass paper, then blow out any dirt. You should be able to operate the relay (manually) with the contacts spring loaded to the open position.

However, if you do want an alternative replacement relay I would try Repco. There have been a few 'off-comments' about them on this forum, but I have found them surprisingly good for these sorts of parts. For example, I replaced the O2 sensor on our 306 with an original Bosch (same part no as original and complete with correct plugs) from Repco for $155 compared to a quote of about $350 from Peugeot.

Otherwise a second hand relay would be the way to go.

Denis

What size is the relay? Physically I mean.
I couldn't imagine that a normal basic relay could ever come close to that price. If it is just a standard looking 30mm or so square variety, try any local electronics store (Dick Smith, Jayco etc) who sell off the shelf stuff and preferrably a store with someone who knows his stock. Take ten bucks & have a drink for me on the way home with the change a_drink
I once got a part for my outboard from Dick Smiths for $1.95 after a local OMC dealer had quoted me $235 for a similar
bit in one of their boxes and I often replace Citroen relays with theirs without having any problems. :D
There is a diagram on the side of a relay normally that shows which pins do what; match them up & barring some weird voltage (which is doubtful) it should be all systems go. cheers!

Alan S

<small>[ 20 September 2002, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: Alan S ]</small>

Thanks for the suggestions.

It is not a standard relay, it's about twice the height of a normal one, and has 7 pins.

Initially I will pull it apart and see what I can do with it. If not repairable, I have located one in a parts place in Auckland for $45+gst.

And I'll also try Repco and the like.

Autofive can also supply one, but that's 30 quid+postage.

Cheers
Mark