New S16 Exhaust Questions

Brad

Fellow Frogger
I've booked the S16 in on Saturday to have some exhaust work done. I've asked for the catalytic converter to be replaced with a standard V6 Comformador type, along with a basic resonator to replace the front one in there which is pretty shot. I believe they will be using Stainless in between to.

I'm happy with the price of $285 fitted, however should I consider also replacing the pipe from the resonator back to the rear muffler?

I do not want more noise from the exhaust, but will increasing the diameter of this pipe create more noise?

What is the standard diameter?

What type of prices are thrown around for 2.25 in stainless steel for this?

Brad said:
I've booked the S16 in on Saturday to have some exhaust work done. I've asked for the catalytic converter to be replaced with a standard V6 Comformador type, along with a basic resonator to replace the front one in there which is pretty shot. I believe they will be using Stainless in between to.

I'm happy with the price of $285 fitted, however should I consider also replacing the pipe from the resonator back to the rear muffler?

I do not want more noise from the exhaust, but will increasing the diameter of this pipe create more noise?

Brad
Engine pipe back exhaust was going for about $1400 from the E&A motors (the rally people that have checquered reviews from different members). I'd say if you get charged more than that you might be getting taken for a ride.

Same configuration (engine pipe back) Swifty exhaust just recently cost me $570 fitted. And that included some fancy flanges for easy removal of rear muffler and flex coupling from the engine pipe. Non SS.
Mild steel is ok, the mufflers and cats will rust thru 1st.

Last edited:
Well I've already got the rear Remus box, so I'm just sussing out whether it's worth my while replacing the piping all the way back to that, or just the Cat and resonator. $285 was pretty got for just the two parts fitted with the intermediate pipe in between.

the GTi6 I had had 2.5inch piping. I'd suggest 2.25 as being more drivable, down low. My GTi sounded great, but as Lincoln will attest there was very little between the cars on the track, with real difference being my car getting from 6500 to 7000rpm a bit more willingly. The SS would also give you that nice zorst sound. Mild steel seem to deaden the sound a bit more it seems.

Thanks, I'll see what size the current one is and if it's only 2" I might change it to 2.25.

Brad said:

I am very interested to hear the outcome of this Brad...I am becoming incresingly unhappy with my exhaust setup and similarily I am considering a total overhaul.

I have 2inch pipe from the cat with the standard resonator and a striaght through muffler, up high the difference is slighty noticeable but down low it feels considerably restrictive.

The setup you are aiming for seems quite good and it seems like a good price too.

In relation to your remus exhaust, did you notice a difference to the standard unit and do you recall the cost?

I look forward to hearing the outcome of your new unit...

cheers

The Remus was a factory option, and I bought the car 2nd hand so I can't comment on the difference. It does have a nice note yet not loud at all.

Optional Features Leather Trim, Metallic Paint, Power Sunroof

in other words i disagree... could it have been a dealer option?

Ok, I never knew that :mallet:

I understand it was an option on purchase, so was likely a dealer option then.

It was a dealer option, I'm pretty sure. I vaguely remember it when I bought mine (one owner S16!). Wasn't into modding cars back then so I didn't take much notice. :tongue:

Rich

Dude tell us how the new exhaust went.... wasn't it going on 2day?

Tomorrow morning.

I actually had a dream about this last night :rolleyes:

I had come back to pick the car up and they had changed to rear muffler to one that looked like it was off a truck, was painted blue and the end pipe was shapped like a ducks beak slightly open. They tried to tell me it would increase my power, but I got REALLY pissed off and fought with them to put the old one back on, which was at that point on another car. Too much :adrink: me's think

tekkie said:
The SS would also give you that nice zorst sound. Mild steel seem to deaden the sound a bit more it seems.
Interesting - I thought most people reckoned mild steel sounded best. the SS systems I've heard have sort of a tinny resonance, whereas the mild ones are smooth. Suppose it's depends on who makes them.

Stuey said:
Interesting - I thought most people reckoned mild steel sounded best. the SS systems I've heard have sort of a tinny resonance, whereas the mild ones are smooth. Suppose it's depends on who makes them.
I always thought the SS sound to be more becoming of the sporty euro cars. Where as the tinny sound wouldnt go very well with larger bore cars. But times have changed with Holden using SS systems on their V8's (double walled exhaust to get rid of that tinny sound).

I still remember the exhaust note the Fiat 124S used to make.... ooooooh, *wipes drool off the floor*

Update... So I took the car in today to get the exhaust replaced. The guy had one look at the cat. and said "you've got to be joking". The onlt place for the cat to be cut and welded (between the O2 and the start of the cat) is behind the cross member which doesn't leave any room to weld.

We also found that the pipe between the cat and the resonator is 1 3/4, while the rest of the pipe back from the resonator is 2 1/4. It's going back in on Thursday to havethe system removed from the end of the headers, where there are the two sprung bolts, and replace the whole lot back to the Remus muffler with 2 1/4 basic tubing.

Brad said:
Update... So I took the car in today to get the exhaust replaced. The guy had one look at the cat. and said "you've got to be joking". The onlt place for the cat to be cut and welded (between the O2 and the start of the cat) is behind the cross member which doesn't leave any room to weld.

We also found that the pipe between the cat and the resonator is 1 3/4, while the rest of the pipe back from the resonator is 2 1/4. It's going back in on Thursday to havethe system removed from the end of the headers, where there are the two sprung bolts, and replace the whole lot back to the Remus muffler with 2 1/4 basic tubing.
the GTI6 cat was sitting almost underneath the driver seat, well back. Im sure yourengine pipe could be extended back far enough as per the GTi6.

Here is the pic of my system (as it used to be)
GTI6 exhaust1
GTI6 exhaust2
GTI6 exhaust3

Last edited:
Picked it up at lunchtime. They had the old one sitting there... what a mess. It looked like it had been patch welded a dozen times and the pipe between the cat and resonator was only 1 3/4. They put in a V6 Commodor Cat and sports resonator with 2 1/2 between.

Is there a difference???, substantially less resonance from under the car, sounds smoother accelerating and seems to be slightly more responsive on throttle in neutral. It seems to accelerate more smoothly and is much nicer up about 5,000rpm. I'm hesitant to say if there is more power because it could be placebo, but the engine sounds much happier up high. Bit smelly at the moment with the chemicals burning off the pipes but that should go away soon.

Brad said:
Picked it up at lunchtime. They had the old one sitting there... what a mess. It looked like it had been patch welded a dozen times and the pipe between the cat and resonator was only 1 3/4. They put in a V6 Commodor Cat and sports resonator with 2 1/2 between.

Is there a difference???, substantially less resonance from under the car, sounds smoother accelerating and seems to be slightly more responsive on throttle in neutral. It seems to accelerate more smoothly and is much nicer up about 5,000rpm. I'm hesitant to say if there is more power because it could be placebo, but the engine sounds much happier up high. Bit smelly at the moment with the chemicals burning off the pipes but that should go away soon.

Hi Brad,

Just thought I'd check up to see how the exhuast is going? I'm very much due for the new system and think I'll probably adopt the same set-up as you provided yours is going well. A couple more questions for you though, what's the noise level like? I want to go back to basically no noise inside the cab unlike my current system which has high resonance. Secondly how did they connect the rear box to centre pipe? what i'm basically trying to say is how was the pipe coming off the sports resonator connected to the your remus muffler? cut and shut or was a proper connection made?

Cheers.

It noticably less noisy at idle from outside the car, and sounds smoother when driving, plus of course the rattle in the cat is now gone.

I am pretty sure the pipe running back is welded onto the resonator and then clamped onto the remus rear box.