What happened with AF? - The Answer

Brad

Fellow Frogger
I can see you are all wondering what's happened with the forum over the weekend. I spoke to Gerry earlier today and it would seem that during his great effort to prepare new software for the forum, it overwrote this forum with fresh database information, even though these two software's were stored in totally different locations on the web. So, through massive amounts of coffee and hair pulling, Gerry uploaded the most recent backup of the forum which was unfortunatly about a month old. Every post and setting since that date has been lost. Although a month might be a while, please consider that the whole forum is over 250mb and must be downloaded onto his computer, saping both his and the servers bandwidth and download limits.

It's all back up and running now, so enjoy the music. :cheers:

Hey Brad,

Thanks for that update :D
Was wondering what'd happened when I logged in last night! Glad (most) of the info is still here.

Good work Gerry :cheers:

Derek. :cool:

Yes Brad, pretty much it. One wrong mouse click & we lost the lot!

Firstly I have to thank DCSI for running the neccesary script at their end today. As I wasn't going to be near the internet I sent an email of instructions.
Mark & John both called me to give me the good news the script had worked :)

This is what happened...
The temp forum I was creating had the right URL for the new forum but the config.php file had the dcsi database's settings. So when I installed it on the other server, it wiped the dcsi database. I had no way of knowing this was happening at the time.

I got a shock when I saw 45 unregistered users on the new board (which was hosted elsewhere too), then my heart fell through the floor & pulse rate rose dramatically :burnboun:

Very little sleep on Friday & Saturday nights for me, basically because I was powerless to do anything. Everything I read about database restoration required Telnet or SSH connection which was not working on DCSI's end.
I didn't end up going to work on Saturday as my mind wouldn't have been on the job.

Quite amazing at the time, 2 forums operating of one database?
Didn't think that was possible.

In light of all this, it seems the monthly backups or not suffice.
I will be taking a dump daily, to keep regular, from the database to the server (where the html & other site stuff is) as this requires no bandwidth usage on DCSI's part.

Plus because of the enormous responsibility I have created for myself (don't mind one bit), Brad, Greenblood & myself are going to partake in alternating weekly backups. We all live within a short drive of each other if we need to whisk a disc across town. This will ensure our data is very safe in the future with minimal data loss (there'll all always be some loss in these cases).

gibgib

Last edited:
gibgib said:

Firstly I have to thank DCSI for running the neccesary script at their end today. As I wasn't going to be near the internet I sent an email of instructions.

This is what happened...
The temp forum I was creating had the right URL for the new forum but the config.php file had the dcsi database's settings. So when I installed it on the other server, it wiped the dcsi database. I had no way of knowing this was happening at the time.

I got a shock when I saw 45 unregistered users on the new board (which was hosted elsewhere too), then my heart fell through the floor & pulse rate rose dramatically :burnboun:

Very little sleep on Friday & Saturday nights for me, basically because I was powerless to do anything. Everything I read about database restoration required Telnet or SSH connection which was not working on DCSI's end.
I didn't end up going to work on Saturday as my mind wouldn't have been on the job.

I will be taking a dump daily, to keep regular, from the database to the server (where the html & other site stuff is) as this requires no bandwidth usage on DCSI's part.

Plus because of the enormous responsibility I have created for myself (don't mind one bit), Brad, Greenblood & myself are going to partake in alternating weekly backups. We all live within a short drive of each other if we need to whisk a disc across town. This will ensure our data is very safe in the future with minimal data loss (there'll all always be some loss in these cases).

gibgib

Congratulations GibGib, one month of lost data while unfortunate is not going to cause anywhere near the grief that could have been. Thankyou for getting the forum started and for rescueing it over the weekend. The knowledge here is priceless, for the parts theres mastercard.

You're a freaken champ Gerry.

The amount of beer I owe you will keep you sloshed for months. I've made a lot of great mates out of this place ;)

gibgib said:

This is what happened...

gibgib

Wow that's amazing! Thanks muchly for all the time and effort you put in for free! We appreciate it very much! :)

macquered said:
You're a freaken champ Gerry.

The amount of beer I owe you will keep you sloshed for months. I've made a lot of great mates out of this place ;)

I agree! I feel like getting a $79 JetStar flight to Brisbane to celebrate!! You up for it macquered? ;)

Thanks Gerry. If you need someone else to do a backup because someone's away yada yada feel free to ask me :)

Derek.

gibgib said:
Don't worry about it ... it's not like Aussiefrogs is "mission critical" .... if it IS for someone .. then GET A LIFE !!!! Nice to be be back, good work all.

- XTC206 -