Car Care Products

nate

1000+ Posts
Post up:
* What you use & why
* What you've tried & doesnt work (why... keep it short)

Keep it plain & simple...

Interior Plastic
Meguiars Natural Shine - gives good finish, UV, not too shiny, smells great
Armour All - NOT good, too greasy & shiny

Leather
Meguiars Leather Conditioner - works well i suppose, UV, smells good

Windows
Meguiars window cleaner - works real well, safe on tint! good finish

Exterior Rubber seals etc
Armour All - works good outside, keeps stuff healthy & UV i think

Well my Parents got me some Auto Glym Products for christmas... i'll post up how they fair, when i get a free chance to polish it...

Might even get it done next week as i have a wedding on sat, then the BBQ on Sun..

Leather - Have tried meguiars leather cream, useless, now using Connolly leather cream (they use it on horse saddles!!) good stuff.

Interior - meguiars natural shine - not too bad but does'nt last long.

Bumpers - Autoglym bumper care, brilliant stuff, removes polish stains too

Paint - Meguiars Deep Crystal polish - ok but am looking to buy other products to get a better shine.

Meguiars No.1 paint cleaner - works, does what it says, removes old polish and minor blemishes

Scratch X - don't bother does not do a thing :disappr:

My crash repairer used the new PPG all-in-one polish on my car it has a very nice shine but not shiny enough for me :roflmao: can get it from Holden dealers I think for about $75.00

pugsy said:
Leather - Have tried meguiars leather cream, useless, now using Connolly leather cream (they use it on horse saddles!!) good stuff.

Interior - meguiars natural shine - not too bad but does'nt last long.

Bumpers - Autoglym bumper care, brilliant stuff, removes polish stains too

Paint - Meguiars Deep Crystal polish - ok but am looking to buy other products to get a better shine.

Meguiars No.1 paint cleaner - works, does what it says, removes old polish and minor blemishes

Scratch X - don't bother does not do a thing :disappr:

My crash repairer used the new PPG all-in-one polish on my car it has a very nice shine but not shiny enough for me :roflmao: can get it from Holden dealers I think for about $75.00

All Mequiars listed not bad stuff at all.
Last thing on after polish, Try Mequiars Final inspection.
Brings it up a1 :)

Scratch X works well on particular scratches. I thought the same, but gave it another go on some other areas and it worked much better.

I'm a car detail nut and have tried lots of products, so my post here would be too long. So I'm not going to type that much...

Final inspection is tops.
303 Protectant is the best for your dash and plastics.

Do yourself a favour and get a Mothers Clay pack and some final inspection.

for leather go down to your local saddlery and grab a tin of GE-WY
it is the best i have ever come across and i have used just about everything on the market when it comes to leather
asi have had 604's most of my life and they have always been leather it has been an uphill battle trying to find something to protect and keep leather soft
and as the leather in 604's is never particularly any good the GE-WY has always been able to soften the leather and keep it looking good
the only problem with it is you have to get the leather warm to hot for it to work properly
this only causes a problem as you sweat like the proverbial when applying it
the thing with leather is it gets hard from the salts in your body when you sweat hence the reason why back seats are nearly always softer and in better condition that the front or mainly the drivers seat
the seats in my GTi-6 are as good or better now then when the car was new
the 604 we have also has been treated and they are getting better all the time
other 604's i have had have always had the same treatment
the full leather Mi-16 i had was also GE-WY'd and there was never a mark on them, they stayed soft (in fact became a bit softer after a few applications)
like i said, there is hardly a leather product out there that i haven't tried

Yep, saddlerys are the best place to go for leather stuff. I used lemsol, or something, can't remember now. Brown bottle, white lid. Great for softening shoes/RMs. I was using Meguiars Leather wipes on the GTi6 as the leather is in good knick and is garaged most of the time, but I know it'll need a good work out with leather conditioner at one point. Thanks for the tip!

Somehow, I don't own GTI124 anymore, but I still clean and polish it! :confused:

Last edited:
GTI124 "Somehow, I don't know own GTI124 anymore, but I still clean and polish it! :confused: "

and in return you get to take it for the odd drive...

A good tip for 205 and 405'ers to keep those grey plastic bumpers and arch moulds looking like they've just been cleaned and amour-all'd (which last's 2 days or until it rains). I use a product called Penetrol, this is a painting product used to make paint stick to difficult surfaces, basically wipe it on and helps adhere paint to the surface you are painting. I was put onto this product many years ago and I was skeptical to say the least particularly after reading the label (read: what the hell does this have to do with keeping my plastic moulds looking good?). I tried this first on an old arch mould that I had lying around and left it for a couple of weeks to make sure it didn't melt, turn white etc etc. I've used it ever since and it lasts for a couple of months if the car is outside and much longer if garaged. Hasn't affected the trims on my 1990 205 and I've beed using it for about 9 years.

Get it from most Hardware store paint sections. Should also work fine on other cars with un painted grey/black plastic bars and trims.

When applying I found it best to apply one fairly generous even coat and let it dry, don't be tempted to go back over it until it's dry or it will streak.

Apart from that I'm a Meguires fan, particularly Swirl Remover (nice general cleaning polish), Hi Tech Yellow Wax and the must have Final Inspection, clay bar is great for paint blemishes also.

I used to use a German brand called Porzalack which was unbelievable, became hard and them impossible to get though :cry:.

Has anyone used Klasse or P21s products, they are raved about on detailing sites overseas. Have located a mail order comapny in Australia that sells them, just wondering if they are as good as they say.

Meguiars Soft Wash Gel- cheap can pick it up for about $8 at Big W and does a thorough job or removing grime and does'nt streak.

Well, having just got my Pug, I can't say what I will use on it, however on my RX-7 I use(d), at the previous owners recommendation, Zymol. It is very expensive and I won't be getting it again however it does an excellent job as the white paint on the RX-7 is 20 years old and still looks great. I have however run out of Zymol polish and at $120 a tub (lasted 3 years) it's too expensive to get approval from the Mrs.

I've been looking around at other products and I have a short list:
* Meguiars - the president of REACT uses it on his car and his RX-7 is very shiny
* Zaino - Guys in the US think this stuff is great. Expensive but not stupidly so
* Bowden's Own - Oz Made by the Bowden family who have that massive collection of historic Australian race cars. Meguiars price but supposed to be as good as the expensive euro stuff (swisson, P21s, Zymol).

I'm leaning towards Bowden's Own at the moment. Has anyone heard anything about the product?

Ben

------
web links
zaino aust distributor: http://www.aurora-one.com.au/
Bowden's Own: http://www.bowdensown.com.au/home.html
------

pugsy said:
Has anyone used Klasse or P21s products, they are raved about on detailing sites overseas. Have located a mail order comapny in Australia that sells them, just wondering if they are as good as they say.

Meguiars Soft Wash Gel- cheap can pick it up for about $8 at Big W and does a thorough job or removing grime and does'nt streak.

I am yet to use it, getting through Liquid Yellow Wax first. Can you get prices on P21S and Klasse? Both are awesome products. Klasse is the best polymer sealant out there and great for people who don't want to wax every month.

I'm interested in both of these products.

Yup, check out www.concoursecarcare.com.au all prices listed there Klasse All-in-One is $39.60 for 500ml and P21s wax is $54.45, have e-mailed the company and there is an approx $11 Postage charge, once i have the service on the Pug done I am looking at following the tips on www.autopia.org and www.bettercarcare.com (same people run both sites i think) to achieve "The Perfect Shine" :approve: all my friends think I'm mad but i love detaling :p

pugsy said:
Yup, check out www.concoursecarcare.com.au all prices listed there Klasse All-in-One is $39.60 for 500ml and P21s wax is $54.45, have e-mailed the company and there is an approx $11 Postage charge, once i have the service on the Pug done I am looking at following the tips on www.autopia.org and www.bettercarcare.com (same people run both sites i think) to achieve "The Perfect Shine" :approve: all my friends think I'm mad but i love detaling :p

Yes, they're both run by David Byron. I've bought myself the Dewal DW443 Random Orbital as per autopia's instructions!

Thanks for the link, there's also www.waxwizard.com.au

What a sweeet thread!!!

Thanks for all your input guys!!! (Gals?)

pugrambo said:
it is the best i have ever come across and i have used just about everything on the market when it comes to leather
/QUOTE]

I will heartily second PR's comment on GE WY it is by far the best leather softner on the market. I taught leatherwork for 10 years and it was the only thing that brought back the softness to belts etc when they were Dyed. The dying process makes the leather incredibly stiff and it feels like it would break if bent. GE WY makes it very soft and flexible.

cruiserman said:
pugrambo said:
/QUOTE]

I will heartily second PR's comment on GE WY it is by far the best leather softner on the market. I taught leatherwork for 10 years and it was the only thing that brought back the softness to belts etc when they were Dyed. The dying process makes the leather incredibly stiff and it feels like it would break if bent. GE WY makes it very soft and flexible.

Okay then.. vaugly related question to those in the know: what should I do with my leather jacket?

I bought a leather jacket (lambskin leather, quite soft) last year.. I'd like it to last as long as possible, and I figure that means I'll need to treat it with _something_ to keep the leather supple, etc etc. Should I use this GE-WY stuff, or something else?