Expressions of Interest Series One 505 Gti

406_SV

Fellow Frogger
My New Year's resolution is to upgrade my '85 505 Gti to a D8 406 SV (quicker, quieter, more modern). Will probably use the 505 as trade, but am interested to hear what people think it will be worth. Also should the right car come up interstate, there's a chance I would private sale the 505 and have the new car brought up.

Travelled 309000 km's - motor rebuilt 257000km (or there abouts) by Peugeot dealership here in Bundaberg prior to me buying it. A bit of work done to the transmission at this time also (3 speed auto).

All the standard Gti features ie. 15inch alloy wheels (rerolled and repainted), electric sunroof (seals and cable replaced recently), blue velour trim in good condition etc. I've also added cruise control, clarion 6 disc cd player with cassette head unit (which might go depending on what's in the new car), and remote / alarm to the central locking setup. Also was repainted a bit of 12 months ago.

The car is serviced by Peugeot in Bundaberg every 10000km and is in excellent condition for its age - you could almost say it's a 19 year old "new" car.

What do people think?

Attachments

• IMG_0488.jpg
    IMG_0488.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_0489.jpg
    IMG_0489.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0490.jpg
    IMG_0490.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_0491.jpg
    IMG_0491.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0493.jpg
    IMG_0493.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
I'll take a stab and say somewhere around $5000, perhaps more if the car really is in good nick. The "high" ks will deter some people, but those who know Pugs won't be bothered and might be happy to pay more because of its general condition and the work you've put into it.

And, um... can I ask where you got the foglamp switch in the centre console from...? I want...

Cheers,
Richard

There's no foglamp switch in the centre console. The car doesn't even have fog lamps! The switch for the spotlights is below the steering wheel... Can you be more specific about the switch?

The switch/button below the hazard lights switch. It looks like the rear fog lamp button on European 505s.

If it's not for fog lamps, what's it for then??? :confused:

Cheers,
Richard

Liam the car will be worth from $500 to $1000 in the trade. I work in the trade. The way a wholesaler will view the car as worth a little more than a Corolla and about the same as a Telstar or a little less than a 528i. It's that mercenary!
Unlikely anyone would consider it worth much more. You may be offered more, but that won't increase the cars trade value. Sell it privately. Then you should get $5000 or $6000 and you have a clear idea where you stand on any discount on the SV.
People are crazy to trade-in a good condition old special interest car, cos the car trade just wont pay the money. Take the time and sell it yourself. The trade will always punish the valuation of a car by a degree, to allow for roadworthy/re-conditioning work, whether it needs it or not.
Do the sums. They buy it for $1000, spend $1000 on a roadworthy certificate, advertise it for $5000 and get $4200.

Warwick2 said:
The trade will always punish the valuation of a car by a degree, to allow for roadworthy/re-conditioning work, whether it needs it or not.
Do the sums. They buy it for $1000, spend $1000 on a roadworthy certificate, advertise it for $5000 and get $4200.

well of course they will
they have to make a living otherwise they are better to find a job elsewhere

silverexec - you're right. it's the rear fogs switch. don't think it even does anything - never used it. The switch was in the car when I bought it. I assumed it was a standard accessory.

Thanks for the advice Warwick2 - wasn't expecting that crummy a trade in. I guess it's now a case of wait and see the right car, then make my next move...

From what I have seen Series 1 Auto GTI's are not selling at very high prices, a mate of mine had a very clean '85 Auto GTI he had $4,200 on it and it took almost 12 months to sell. Even then I dont think he got close to that...

Seems people that want 505 GTI's at the moment want Manual Series 2 cars....which I cant blame them for....having had an Auto S1 and a 5 Speed S2...

Good luck with the sale though Liam, They are still a nice touring car the old GTI's....

Cheers

Ben

PS sorry for being another wet blanket!

Liam Wishart said:
silverexec - you're right. it's the rear fogs switch. don't think it even does anything - never used it. The switch was in the car when I bought it. I assumed it was a standard accessory.

I don't think it was standard - I don't think I've seen any S1 505s with the switch installed.

At least now I know that they do exist in Australia. I was planning to fit driving lights and rear fog lamps one day, and wanted to have a genuine switch wired up to them. I'll keep an eye out. :cheers:

Good luck with the hunt for a 406!

Cheers,
Richard

silverexec said:
I don't think it was standard - I don't think I've seen any S1 505s with the switch installed.

At least now I know that they do exist in Australia. I was planning to fit driving lights and rear fog lamps one day, and wanted to have a genuine switch wired up to them. I'll keep an eye out. :cheers:

Good luck with the hunt for a 406!

Cheers,
Richard

i normally convert the rear fog lights on the 604 to brake lights
looks good at night on a 604
you have the tail lights in the middle sector then the outer 2 sectors light up for brakes
if someone misses that they are blind