Peugeot 504 turbo update

callipygous

Fellow Frogger
Hi all, I thought it was time for an update on my turbo 504 as I have been a bit quiet. Well, it's all together and the vehicle is more or less drivable, however little things need to be ironed out, such as the throttle sticking (not a biggie). Then it's time to tune the beast.

A little bit of info - the car is running an Air Research T04 turbo, four Mikuni CV carburettors sourced off a wrecked Yamaha R1 motorcycle, a water to air intercooler kit, external oil cooler and oil filter and a few other goodies. In the last picture you can just see the Microsquirt module above the pedals which runs the ignition timing.

That's all I can think of to write for now, but I'll keep this updated as I go. Enjoy the pictures.
IMG_0505.jpgIMG_0517.jpgIMG_0518.jpgIMG_0519.jpgIMG_0513.jpg

Very neat installation. Well done. Looking forward to dyno figures!

I see you have a floor-hinged throttle pedal. You can change that to a pendant type if you wish, I certainly prefer the later type. You just need to swap over the bracket and pedal.

I see you have a floor-hinged throttle pedal. You can change that to a pendant type if you wish, I certainly prefer the later type. You just need to swap over the bracket and pedal.
WHY???:confused: I think that the floor hinged pedal is fantastic, as I am able to move my foot to different places up and down the pedal on trips.

Very cool installation.

The Peugeot dealer - Classic and Thoroughbred Motors - in North Vancouver (long gone) did a 504 turbo with a ZF autobox back in 1977, it was quick but probably shredded the ZF in no time flat.

julian b

I would put a heat sheild between the master cylinder and the turbo if i were you . I had one in the 70/s that melted the rubbers in the brake m/c [it was stationary at the time ] Mine was very low tech compared to this .It had an SU carb and water injection to stop pinging.

Last edited:
Another vote for a neat install. Do you have any pics of the radiator installation for the air/water intercooler?

Very cool install, and beautifully done! Now for my questions... :)

Is that a Frozen Boost intercooler? I really want to replace my stock A2A TMIC with one of their W2A intercoolers and I was curious what radiator, pump and how you like the quality / performance of it? Does the water pump run constant?

Did you do anything special to locate the liners in the block better?

And did you have trouble tuning the CV carbs on the car? I had an 82' Kawasaki GPz with 34mm CV carbs that I had a hell of a time tuning, but in the end I was trying to correct why it wouldn't rev past 4000 rpm while I was waiting on a new air filter. Put the new air filter in and it was perfect - turned out they not only needed the airbox to function, but just the right amount of restriction in order to function...

Can't wait to hear what kind of performance you're able to extract and how it compares to the stock 505 Turbo numbers.

Rabin
www.505turbo.com

The intercooler is from Frozen Boost. It looks to be a quality unit but I'm yet to determine the performance of it. The water pump is set to run via a timer relay and TPS signal sent from the computer. The TPS signal is sent once the throttle exceeds a set point (i.e half throttle) which activates the timer relay that runs the pump for a short interval (about a minute). That saves the Bosch Cobra pump from running constantly while stopped in traffic or on the highway.

I didn't do anything special to locate the liners in the block better, I just made sure when I took the cylinder head off to install the 2 mm thick copper gasket that I did not turn the engine without bolts and thick washers to keep the liners in place.

The CV carbs seem to run fine. I have so far guessed what MJ to use according to what Bogg Brothers recommended. For those who aren't familiar with Bogg Brothers they convert cars to run on the Mikuni CV carbs and it was Bogg Brothers who made my manifold and air box. No problem with it revving - it revs very freely...

I intend on shielding the master cylinder before driving the vehicle. Thanks for the warning Julian.

Here is a picture of the radiator installation - You can see a small fan at the very front behind the grille, then the radiator for the IC, then the air conditioner condenser, and finally the radiator and fan. Quite tight, but it all fits. To the right of the photo is where the oil cooler sits.

IMG_0527.jpg

Very nice intercooler set up, and I like how you have the pump set up. I've subcribed to the thread as I'm very curious to hear how the car goes and how well the IC set up works.

I'd love to do a W2A IC set up on both my gas and diesel turbo 505's, a little extra plumbing but the compact size of the IC itself is very appealing.

Rabin

Thanks for all the positive comments. Here is a shot of the air filter which got sorted today:
IMG_0535.jpg

... The water pump is set to run via a timer relay and TPS signal sent from the computer. The TPS signal is sent once the throttle exceeds a set point (i.e half throttle) which activates the timer relay that runs the pump for a short interval (about a minute). ...

Good work with the install. XN on boost! For the intercooler pump, I'd leave going always. Water to air inter coolers won't give an advantage unless you run them for long periods. Those water pumps are designed to replace mechanical ones, so therefore it will handle running all the time no worries. Starting and stopping it all the time might even be bad for it!

GL with it, I'm keen so see what kind of power (and curve) it makes.

Paul.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Here is a picture of the pulley I had made up to accommodate the use of a toothed wheel. I had it made by aspracing.com in the USA and they did a great job, even the oil thrower works; there are no oil leaks on the timing case!

So far everything is coming together well, apart from a leaking rocker cover gasket which means I have to remove the turbo. Oh well, it gives me a chance to check the cylinder head tension.

IMG_0415.jpg

Please show us the dyno figures!!! Beautiful car, well done, but just how hard does it go?

Well done! That's is a beautiful job. How about sharing some engine/tuning figures?
Is the T04 turbo size something fitted to 4 or 6 cyl engines, info like that?
Great work. Congratulations.

Well done! neat installation of the Turbo and the car is in top condition. It will be great if u can share the tech infos. Congratulations!!

Cheers

Great work C.
Nice to see someone doing something a little out of the ordinary.
It sure would be a good car and very driveable.
I had an old 504 wagon years wagon, just basic 4sp and it drove great, always thought a sedan even with the 1.8l engine would have been OK.
A blown 504 would haul IMO