406 & 407 - a general discussion

peujohn

pur-john, not pew-john!
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Folks,

As previously noted my wife and I are expecting another little one so it's time to get a bigger car. We like the 307 wagon but have decided they aren't quite big enough so we are considering a 406 or 407.

The only 406 I have driven was a 406 STDT but I haven't been in a 407. If we bought a 407 it would be a diesel, if a 406 I'd consider a diesel or V6. The V6s seem like a fabulous car for not much money and I figure if you're only spending $4000-7000 let's say, you don't need to be so worried about fuel economy! Although the V6 seems to be pretty good in terms of fuel consumption, especially on the open road.

The newest 406s are 10 years old now, meaning they are up in kays and harder to find a good one, although there are a few on Carsales that read well. 407s are plentiful and lower in kays and pretty amazing value for the money. More safety equipment too.

406s received very good reports for all models when they were new, 407s not so much, but people who own them seem to like them! Seems like not a lot of reliability issues are raised on Aussiefrogs.

I would prefer a manual, still a bit wary of Euroautos. Although the Aisin 6 speed auto in the 407 is Japanese I've been told to expect a $3000 bill at 140000km for valve bodies (or something?) and this is par for the course. I don't like the idea of this!

I kind of have the feeling that the 406 is a better car in some ways, more roomy and comfortable and probably better looking - all this for less money. But the 407 is more modern which is kind of nice. 406s are starting to show their age a bit.

I have had a much-appreciated chat with Pekay about both models. From what he told me I would buy either with confidence.

Anyway, please discuss! All feedback appreciated, or any other suggestions. It does not need to be a Pug, it just happens that these two seem to tick most of the boxes and I like 'em, too.

Cheers and Seasons Greetings to all.

You haven't made it clear whether you're pondering sedan or wagon variants.

If the former, 407 now; 406 sedans - unless you find a minter at giveaway pricing - are simply too old for most people's practically applied level of enthusiasm. Meaning, what you honestly can or will DIY, not what you can do or are gunnado.

If the latter, it will come down to value for money. A wagon near lifetime is still worth more than a sedan so your prospects for resale are better.

407s are common enough in the UK and Europe that their aftermarket is brilliantly supported for consumables and incidental items like lighting or trim.

Cheers addo,

It would probably be a sedan.

What issues would you foresee with a 10 year old 406? Regular servicing items would have to be available, and the model is old enough that there should be plenty of secondhand parts around for trim etc.

I don't really have any trouble finding what I need for my 504s! Maybe I know the right people.

Isn't the 504 bigger than those cars anyway, or is this to replace an unmentioned smaller car?

Graham

Cheers addo,

It would probably be a sedan.

What issues would you foresee with a 10 year old 406? Regular servicing items would have to be available, and the model is old enough that there should be plenty of secondhand parts around for trim etc.

I don't really have any trouble finding what I need for my 504s! Maybe I know the right people.

It's to replace my wife's trusty 1990 Mazda 323 which we have had for over 5 years. It has been an excellent car.

The 504 wouldn't really be bigger inside than a 406 or 407 would it? If it is, what advancement has been made in car design since 1968??

With the older 406 sedan, just the stuff which erodes pleasantness of ownership - door trims coming unglued, keylocks wearing, heater matrix leaks, heater flap motor failures, cabin fan brush wear and control module failure, wishbone bush wear, strut top bearings and rubbers ageing, rear suspension rubbers ageing. All fixable, but chews the time up - which is possibly better spent enjoying the company of those children.

I reckon the constant heat here, is one large factor in ageing of suspension bushes, so a newer car in years will have better condition rubbers even if mileages compare.

If carparks and kiddy vomit weren't issues I'd suggest a 607 that you ran into the ground over ten years.

Re internal sizes - I think the older cars certainly "feel" more spacious but the reality of a 504 is it's probably two inches narrower across the back seat than a 406.

It is a bigger car on the outside. Possibly narrower but certainly more leg room.
I think the 405 is probably the roomiest of them all, particularly the boot, because of the flat 205 style suspension, the 407 has noticeably less room there due to the rear suspension design, take a good look at that area.

In many ways the 405 was probably the best Peugeot made but they've almost disappeared now.

307's are deceptively roomy cars. We just sold our T6 HDi Touring for a low mileage 308 HDi SW and can honestly say, the 307 felt bigger.

We have a baby capsule and toddler seat....in the 308, they seat a little more outboard/towards the doors due to the individual seat arrangement.

The 307 packs better too. Wide open square load space. Alas, both great cars for town/highway use.

The last of the 406's were a brilliant car.

My folks traded a 406 for a 407. Both operated faultlessly with the exception of the EGR flutter issues on the DW10BTED4's (407).

406 V6:
Auto will die and cost a fortune to fix so definitely go manual.
Engine will be leaking oil unless already done. This is not too bad except when it starts to drip onto the exhaust heat shield and the smell will sicken you.
Apart from those niggles and the ones mentioned above, they are a great car...I have a coupe but the same engine and dash as your possible new purchase.....Oh...congrats on the new bub.

Bought a 407 SR HDI manual with 30,000km on it a bit over 3 years ago. Now has 95,000 and we are totally happy with it. Has average around 6.5 litres per hundred since we got it and it easily turns in 5.5 on the highway at 110kph. Firmer ride than the 504, even on 16inch wheels, but still fine.

Our only issue is the long front and you have to be very careful when parking front on (or coming out of a steep driveway).

Have a 504 and 407 sitting side by side in the driveway and the 407 has more passenger space. Not sure about the boot as the shape is different but the 407 boot is good (and the seats can drop to fit those bigger items in). Have had 405s and I think the 407 is still bigger than the 405.

We have a bundle of 406s in the family and they are great cars but as everyone above says they are getting on it is getting hard to get a really good one, let alone one with lowish kms.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another 407 and manuals are findeable.

Cheers

Jim

My parents own a 407 HDi (2 liter) and it is definitely a good reliable car.
I've noticed that it is vary wide compered to other cars of this size that Peugeot have previously built.
I can't compere it with a 406 but I would think that (although reliable) when maintenance is required that it would cost more the a 406. maybe some others could comment on this.

I've said this before but I think the 2 liter HDi is the most reliable engine you can get. Not that I can say anything bad about an XUD engine as long as it has the Bosch injection pump.

Hope this helps.

Both are very nice cars but I personally like the 406 more.
We have the 2.0L petrol with the catastrophic AL4 and it proved nothing but reliable after more than 7 years/170 k Kms of being daily driven. From time to time it may require a small visit to Peugeot in between services but it's usually for something negligible like the A/C flap motor, a CD changer that wasn't working (turned out to be a cable problem) but nothing mechanical. Brake disks were changed at 120 k as a safety precaution and the original disks were still in very good shape and were never machined. Brake pads last for 30 k front and 40 k back, always replaced by OEM. Suspension was never touched until this day. The only thing done to the engine was changing the valve cover gasket because of a small leak and the exhaust was changed at around 110 k. The light/rain sensor failed 3 years ago (the rain part to be more specific, auto lights were still working) and we bought one last year from Germany because we couldn't find it over here.
It has the leather interior and seats are always entitled for STP leather care products every couple of months.
Find yourself a well taken care of model and I'm sure you'll enjoy :wink2:

2005Peugeot406onthebeachEgypt_zps156dc036.jpg

Peugeot4062005.jpg

Last edited:
Get the 407 and import an ISOFIX from ebay germany .... There only about 1million times better than the sh!t baby seats sold locally. If you can afford it I'd be looking at a later C5 wagon too. the 407 suspension is pretty crappy, it sits too low, it's rough as guts to ride in and has nowhere near enough travel (it's easy to bottom out just driving along normal country roads). get the wagon if you can. The only reason we ended up with a bumpy thumpy 407 rather than a C5 is I couldn't find a C5 without the POS 4spd slugomatic in our price range.

Did I mention my wife loves the 407 ??? Gimme a decent car like a Citroen CX anyday though.

the best bit about the 407 is you can find them with a proper gearbox. That's what we ended up with a 6spd manual diesel. You can't get a C5 with a proper gearbox in Australia.

seeya,
Shane L,

the 407 suspension is pretty crappy, it sits too low, it's rough as guts to ride in and has nowhere near enough travel (it's easy to bottom out just driving along normal country roads).
I forgot to mention that.
407's are ridiculously low, and with the long nose bottoms out on nearly any driveway. It's even tricky getting a jack under it to do a service. (apart from this the 2.0l diesel is vary easy to service though)

Hi John

I have experienec with 2 D8 406SVs, 1 auto (my first 406) and my current manual. Apart from the problems with auto which everyone konws about( and was always in the back of my mind), the car was great for me on trips, but I loathed the transmissioin around town - it's the way I drive.

My current 1998 manual has a sweet 5 speed gearbox and goes very well. I got it with only 115,000 km on the clock, and it needed a lot of TLC with respect to fiddly bits like switch globes blown in many spots. All fixed now but took some time to sort.The only thing left to replace is the LHS rear door latch which doesn't always lock/unlock with the rest of the central locking. It has a non-standard exhaust so isn't as quiet as 'Id like, but it goes like a rocket and I regularly get a real 8.0 l/100 km. Seriously, I had considered getting a new car (508 only), but I like the 406 too much to change. It only at 135,00 km so has got plenty of life left it it. There have been no mechanical problems, just electrical, which really don't amount to much anyway.

I also have a 2002 D9 V6 (which I crashed last year and will rebuild very soon) 130,000 km, originally a Peugeot Concessionaires car. A better motor with more refinements, especially the radio central locking. I think the gearboz isn't quite a good, but this is the luck of the draw. When it's back on the road, I've got to sell one of them, and I can't really say which of them it'll be.

Well I think I can honestly say that my love affair with Peugeot is well and truly over, having now owned a 407 SV Sport for the last three years. The handling is not a patch on my old 405 SRDT, the chin spoiler is just about worn away from driving in and out of my driveway plus the car is overly complex if you don't have a dealer living around the corner from you. Ever since having owned the car the tyre pressure monitor decides to tell me that the pressure is not being monitored several times during a trip, when the dealer puts it on the computer there is no fault logged, so it's just an annoyance as I know there is wind in all four wheels.

Several months ago a message, "PRND" flashed on the screen telling me the gearbox is faulty, now the gearbox works just fine. Sometimes the "PRND" message goes away for a short period of time and everything works as it should, another annoyance.

Coming from Sydney a few weeks ago the car decides to run rough, only on five cylinders, which immediately brings up a system error message "Depolution System Faulty", obviously the raw fuel being dumped into the catalytic converter. I pull off the road turn the engine off wait a few minutes and turn the engine back on and everything is just fine again, running on all six pots. Now the really interesting thing is that while the "PRND" message is one screen I have no cruise control, no traction control or manual control of the gearbox, BUT, while I have the engine icon showing on the screen with the depolution message I have full control of the gearbox again.

Strange, n'es pas?

Why have you not had the pressure monitors turned off? Clearly you are someone who looks at tyre pressures, so the system is both irritating and redundant.

Thanks for the feedback. Happy to hear the mostly good reports on 407s. I don't like the long nose issues on the 407, this is just poor design in my opinion. Transverse-engined cars should have a compact nose. Look at a 407 side on and consider how far back from the front the driver sits! 406 on the other hand is a very conventional design but seems to be efficient in terms of packaging and space.

This is quite tempting: 406 SV

I have had a look at 607s but don't think we will go there. I would love to track down a really good Mi16, they are great cars and roomy inside but I have to be sensible! I also had a look at diesel Renault Lagunas, like these on Carsales. Pretty good value for money, automatic only it seems... do they have nasty autos? Mazda 3 was suggested too, I can't do that because my brother's wife has one. If we both have a 504 and a 3 it would be embarassing.

Still haven't had a look at a 407, but Alpine Affaire has one for us to check out. I think I will try the baby seat for size in a 307 wagon before we cross them off the list too. Actually if I could be convinced the 307 had enough room it would be top of the list.

Cheers.

you are someone who looks at tyre pressures
I haven't turned them off because when I sell the car the next person may not know they are there and that person may want to investigate why they are reporting pressure problems.

Yes I do look at tyre pressures, very critically, as the 407 handles like a pig if pressures are not spot on. When I first bought the car I was running about 34psi and it wouldn't go around corners, it was only after reading the book that I saw the recommended pressure was about 38psi and the handling improved out of sight.