404 price hike!

Bad Bertie

1000+ Posts
Just before xmass I found this very nice looking 404 sedan on Carpoint for sale for $5000 in Melbourne. I made contact through Carpoint with my details for the owner to contact me. To date have not heard a thing and just now I checked to see if the car was still there, and blow me down, the price is now $8000!

Wait untill next month then offer him $12k.

Jo

Just before xmass I found this very nice looking 404 sedan on Carpoint for sale for $5000 in Melbourne. I made contact through Carpoint with my details for the owner to contact me. To date have not heard a thing and just now I checked to see if the car was still there, and blow me down, the price is now $8000!

Hi Bertie
It just might be worth $8k...early model in exceptional condition, it would anice drive...Just have to get rid of the hideous weathershield and replace a couple of lenses and maintain it well.

The other $3k 404option on Carpoint would need more $$s for panel rust and that's just the obvious stuff.

Cheers

John

Hi Bertie,

If you are talking a high price I know of a car which may suit your needs. It's not on the market yet, but owner is making noises about selling. You may be better with this car because all of the hard has work been done.

It is a 69 model and has been in same family since new. All suspension bushes, ball joints and shockers have been replaced. Front and rear brakes been rebuilt, reco booster, hose and compensator valve replaced, new handbrake cables.

It has a fully reco 1800 engine, new alternator and fully rodded and cleaned radiator. ( $3k in parts alone)
The engine has less that 3000m since new. The engine has a mild cam and is fully balanced.

I have done all the mechanical work personally (free of charge) because the owner is a close friend.

The inside has been re trimmed in brown cloth including a felt headliner. This may be downside for you since it's not original. It's believe it would fly through a roadworthy. It 's currently on Vic Registration.

There is zero, zilch, nil, none chassis rust, baring one corner of the front (replaceable) sub frame.

The bare metal respray was done about 10 years ago and there are a few scrapes and surface rust spots so it could do with some cleaning up to be pristine. Even now it's very presentable.

The owner (30 yo) has just purchased an Audi and it sitting in a garage at the moment, which is sad.

Drop me a pm if you may interested.

cheers

Rob

Hi Bertie,

If you are talking a high price I know of a car which may suit your needs. It's not on the market yet, but owner is making noises about selling. You may be better with this car because all of the hard has work been done.

It is a 69 model and has been in same family since new. All suspension bushes, ball joints and shockers have been replaced. Front and rear brakes been rebuilt, reco booster, hose and compensator valve replaced, new handbrake cables.

It has a fully reco 1800 engine, new alternator and fully rodded and cleaned radiator. ( $3k in parts alone)
The engine has less that 3000m since new. The engine has a mild cam and is fully balanced.

I have done all the mechanical work personally (free of charge) because the owner is a close friend.

The inside has been re trimmed in brown cloth including a felt headliner. This may be downside for you since it's not original. It's believe it would fly through a roadworthy. It 's currently on Vic Registration.

There is zero, zilch, nil, none chassis rust, baring one corner of the front (replaceable) sub frame.

The bare metal respray was done about 10 years ago and there are a few scrapes and surface rust spots so it could do with some cleaning up to be pristine. Even now it's very presentable.

The owner (30 yo) has just purchased an Audi and it sitting in a garage at the moment, which is sad.

Drop me a pm if you may interested.

cheers

Rob
Thank u rob,I will be going to melbourne sometime in jan. I,ll contact you when the time comes. Cheers.

Thank u rob,I will be going to melbourne sometime in jan. I,ll contact you when the time comes. Cheers.

Hi Bertie,

You need to give me several days warning so I can have the car available to look at.

I've asked the owner if he is prepared to sell.

cheers

Rob

Hi Bertie
It just might be worth $8k...early model in exceptional condition, it would anice drive...Just have to get rid of the hideous weathershield and replace a couple of lenses and maintain it well.

The other $3k 404option on Carpoint would need more $$s for panel rust and that's just the obvious stuff.

Cheers

John
Yes,all true. I went to look at one in Byron Bay just a few days ago on my way to QLD. This one is advertised in Just Cars for 4400 and is a no no with rust issues. I went a bit on a 404 safari last week on the way to the coast and stopped in Lawrence near Grafton to look at a collection of 404s. This lot was advertised in May 2010 The Puglilist. They are still available. Two wagons(one parts only and the other restorable but still rough. Plus two sedans sitting in the paddock (for parts only) and one ute which is restorable and was still running till a while ago when rats chewed through some wires! anyone interested ring Jim Allan on 66477128.