Fuego steering wheel

alpinesau

Fellow Frogger
Can anyone tell me if a Fuego steering wheel will fit on a Virage?
As you know the Virage/ 1.4 steering wheels deteriorate quickly in the sun, but the leather covered Fuego wheels seem to last pretty well.
Robert

It will fit!
Everything from the r10 to the r 19 will fit they all have the same splines!

I have a good one I can sell you!

Make a Fuego Wheel Like New

If you get a Fuego wheel you can make it like new by buying a simple leather cover off e-bay - cost about $18 and you lace it on yourself, takes about an hour to put on (do it with the wheel off the car) and looks like a brand new cover, and feels great.

....... cost about $18 and you lace it on yourself, takes about an hour to put on (do it with the wheel off the car) and looks like a brand new cover, and feels great.

Sounds kinky.:evil:

Jo

The splines all fit but the offset may be an issue if the wheel ends up too far towards the dash

For instance you cant put a r19 wheel on a fuego, it is too flat and will rub against the dash or not allow your fingers fit between it and the dash.

That is the critical factor once the splines fit.
If there is not enough clearence, it is not an issue untill you are driving like a maniac, whereby when you go to do a hand over hand, you end up grabbing the dash instead of the wheel and for a moment the driver has little contact with the steering.
Believe me, that is one of those crap your pants moments, up there with when the brake pedal goes to the floor just before a tight corner or the chair you are about to sit on is 3 inches lower than you thought. :eek:
Jo

Thanks all,
I was confident in the splines being OK, but as Jo says, it's the offset that's the key issue.

I was hoping that someone has already tried it, 'cos it saves me from re-inventing the wheel.

U-Pull-It is open tomorrow, so I'll go for a look to see if there's anything of interest there.

Robert

Fuego Wheel

Hi Robert

The Fuego wheel fits ok, if anything the boss of the fuego wheel is a little long and the rim of the wheel is closer to you. Its ok but u need to stretch the fingers a little to operate the headlamp/indicator/wiper switches.

Hi Robert

The Fuego wheel fits ok, if anything the boss of the fuego wheel is a little long and the rim of the wheel is closer to you. Its ok but u need to stretch the fingers a little to operate the headlamp/indicator/wiper switches.

I've been down the wrong offset wheel myself in my R12 days, where I has a nice soft R18 wheel.
My solution was to grind off a bit of the plastic stalk cover and move the angle of the the stalk out to be the correct distance off the wheel.
From vague memory this was a right PITA to fabricate, but worked.

The R18 wheel was rubber all the way, where the fuego has the cast alloy boss.
Maybe the alloy boss between the wheel and the shaft could be cut down and re welded to be the correct offset.:confused:

Jo

Jo sold me a Fuego wheel to fit my R12 a while back and it fits like a finger in a... Umm, its a good fit.

The offset works well too.

Attachments

• R12 steering wheel.jpg
    R12 steering wheel.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 233
If you get a Fuego wheel you can make it like new by buying a simple leather cover off e-bay - cost about $18 and you lace it on yourself, takes about an hour to put on (do it with the wheel off the car) and looks like a brand new cover, and feels great.

Do you leave the original leathyer glove on and lace the new one over it or do you strip it down to the padding?

P

Fuego Wheel cover

I just put it over the top of the existing one which was in quite poor condition, and it a came up like new. The new cover has a small amount of foam padding in the backing which evens out any cracks etc in the original cover. Can't find the details for the one I bought, but here is something similar (although a bit more pricey) http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BLACK-LEATHE...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e603b23ff make sure you go for the larger diameter grip version.

Alternatively, one can be made from scratch.
With basic craft skill and a mother who can sew the two bits togeter, I replaced the entire leather cover with a new one, and lashed it on to look like a new one
This took about three hours to template, fabricate and install but was worth it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• wheel.jpg
    wheel.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 310
I have 3 good Virage wheels if you are interested. Going cheep!!

What is the Virage wheel any different from the 12GL for instance? I would be interested in a good one.

The Fuego steering wheel in your picture, Jo is interesting too. Is it the same rim diameter as the R12? Any you can sell?

Last edited:
Michael,
PM sent.

Jo,
That's nice work on the re-covering. I had one done professionally a while ago, but yours looks just as good.

Robert