Mrs UFO is a LEGEND! (Again...)

UFO

Citroën Tragic
VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Some of you may recall this thread re the XM running like a late starter in the last race at the Coonamble Cup.

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29048

Well, in typical manner I pooh poohed all suggestions from the mighty one that there was any possibility that it could be a clagged up fuel filter. Being the (reasonably) intelligent and educated male that I am, I chose to persue avenues such as using a computer to analyse engine faults, trace and clean connections, build a rocket and fly to the moon - anything except admit that my dear wife could be RIGHT! (or as she may say admit that I was wrong ) It could also have something to do with knowing what a pig of a job it is to change the fuel filter on an XM as it is installed in a place that truly requires Citroen arms and fingers.

Anyway, this morning I spoke to XM Mechanic who suggested the big round plug that sits, of course, under the LHM tank. He also gave me the part number for an XM filter (RYCO Z168) and I asked Mrs UFO to get one while she was down the shops (suits a whole heap of other cars so an off the shelf job).

I set to work and removed the LHM tank, did a bit of a cleanup of dribbled LHM in the meantime, pulled apart connectors, cleaned and returned all parts to whence they came.

At the same time I took the opportunity to swap over the steering wheel for the replacement I bought in France (all of 20 euros) as the leather on the old one was torn and perishing. Of course this was an airbag car and I must say I read the Haynes BOFT and it was correct and explained cautions well. (I had the battery disconnected while I was doing the other jobs with connectors which is the reason I took the opp to do the S/W)

The new wheel went on easily.

So, to start the car and test.

Well it started, I drove to the top of the street, it stalled :mad::mad::mad:

I persisted a little but soon realised it was a lost cause. The car was still losing power and being a shite.

Came home, reversed car onto the ramps, and set about the change of the filter (which BTW only cost $15)

As I had a non standard replacement exhaust fitted earlier this year, I no longer have the fat tertiary muffler across below the heat shield for the centre sphere. This is excellent as you have to move the shield out of the way to get to the filter. I dropped the spare tire cage out too to make life all that much easier.

Anyway, last time I changed a filter, when I took off the intake pipe there was a little spray - this time there was a gusher - about 300ml of petrol all over the place - yum NOT! I thought that this was unusual and could indicate a blocked filter.

I replaced the filter, put it all back together and took the car for a fang up the road and further. :drivin: I goes VERY well now and in hindsight (wonnerful thing that!) the problem has been building up for some time.

And yes I came home and told Deb she is the best wife ever, love her heaps and she should be cannonised etc etc. This is a couple of times she has analysed a problem and has proven to be right.

Thanks dear.:blush:

(and thanks to Garth - XM Mechanic) :adrink:

UFO said:
Some of you may recall this thread re the XM running like a late starter in the last race at the Coonamble Cup.

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29048

Well, in typical manner I pooh poohed all suggestions from the mighty one that there was any possibility that it could be a clagged up fuel filter.-------------
It goes VERY well now and in hindsight (wonnerful thing that!) the problem has been building up for some time.

And yes I came home and told Deb she is the best wife ever, love her heaps and she should be cannonised etc etc. This is a couple of times she has analysed a problem and has proven to be right.

Thanks dear.:blush:

(and thanks to Garth - XM Mechanic) :adrink:

Always give credit where it is due!!!

Nice outcome, but please tell us how long has the old filter been in, time distance. Where do you buy your fuel.
The reason i'm asking is because a fuel injection place in Melbourne is also doing service on petrol outlets.
He told me about the sluge at the bottom of some petrol station tanks.
He said a fuel filter should last a very long time if you only buy your petrol from new high turnover stations.
Any experiences in Froggy land?

Fuel tanks

JoBo said:
Nice outcome, but please tell us how long has the old filter been in, time distance. Where do you buy your fuel.
The reason i'm asking is because a fuel injection place in Melbourne is also doing service on petrol outlets.
He told me about the sluge at the bottom of some petrol station tanks.
He said a fuel filter should last a very long time if you only buy your petrol from new high turnover stations.
Any experiences in Froggy land?

Id be sueprised if any one suffered from dirty fuel from a service station. Fuel pumps have large effective fuel filters on them. While iin ground fuel tanks can rust (& eventually leak) the filters keep the crud from making it in to your car. I've seen fuel bowsers stop delivering fuel because the filter was blocked with crud from the fuel tank.
dom

The filter was at least 12 months old and was in the car for the trip to WA and back at Easter. The problem only started occuring a couple of weeks before we went to Paris a few weeks ago though.

I pulled the filter apart and the centre core of the paper windings was pretty grotty.

Well... It seems that the fuel filter was not the cause of the problem. I went to move the car last night and it would not start again. Further extensive investigation today confirmed (for once and for all) that it is the ignition module that is causing the grief. When I got the car started again I went searching and through judicious cable jiggling I worked out that the module is on the way out. I have commenced enquiries about a new one. However, Mrs UFO is still legendary.

But Craig,

How would jijjling of the cables affect the operation of the ignition module. Sounds to me more like a dirty connector onto the ignition module issue. I would suggest you give it all a big clean with some you-beaut connector cleaner and hopefully this should cure your poor running.

This treatment certainly worked a treat for my MAP sensor when all the advice was to replace it.

Regards, :cheers:

Ken W

Ken W said:
But Craig,

How would jijjling of the cables affect the operation of the ignition module. Sounds to me more like a dirty connector onto the ignition module issue. I would suggest you give it all a big clean with some you-beaut connector cleaner and hopefully this should cure your poor running.

This treatment certainly worked a treat for my MAP sensor when all the advice was to replace it.

Regards, :cheers:

Ken W
I thought that too and did extensive cleaning of the connector. I had the module out of the normal position but still wired in and the car running. The slightest pressure on the module itself would cause the engine to falter. Pressure on or around the plug would not. I also spoke to a club guru who is a TAFE Auto Elect trade teacher and he confirmed my thoughts. Has had the same problem on a few other cars - most BXs.

Interesting Craig,

Sounds like a mechanical failure in one of the leads from the socket on the module to the circuitry in the module. Make sure you tie down the lead near the connector so as to dampen any vibration in the cable that might be getting through the connector into the internal wiring of the module and fatiguing the leads.

Ken W :cheers:

Well I received the new part today. A TRIDON Ignition Module, p/n TIM006 (I think). Cost $145 from my local REPCO. Whacked it in using the instructions and included silicon thermal gel and the car fired first time.

Mind you, on Monday when driving to work the car skipped a beat or three, then got me to work OK. Soon after the guy from REPCO phoned and advised he had ordered the part. I had to go away for work for a couple of days and to get a fleet vehicle had to drive to another location 15km away (in the XM). I picked the XM up again this afternoon and drove 15km or so home and of course, the car NEVER missed a beat. This was BEFORE I had fitted the new part.

Bludy smart alec cars, they know, they know...:mad:

Hi Craig,

next time SWMBO isn't home grab her hairdryer and heat the old ignition module. It's probably gone heat sensitive on you :( CX flywheel senders do that too causing enormous grief to there owners that can't get it fixed ( 'cos obviously it runs perfectly whenever a mechanic goes near the car :rolleyes: ).

seeya,
Shane L.

DoubleChevron said:
Hi Craig,

next time SWMBO isn't home grab her hairdryer and heat the old ignition module. It's probably gone heat sensitive on you :( CX flywheel senders do that too causing enormous grief to there owners that can't get it fixed ( 'cos obviously it runs perfectly whenever a mechanic goes near the car :rolleyes: ).

seeya,
Shane L.

I think you're correct. Fathergoose advised to get some thermal grease and put it on the back of the old module as that would buy some time. I did that on Sunday and that is probably what made the thing work OK until today.

But, the new one will be more reliable I suppose. I mean the old one had done 199 000km AFAIK.