205 Trim - black or grey?

pug-life

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I'm toying with the idea of painting the trim on my Miami blue GTi black.

I did it do my other 205's and as we all know that black trim looks good.

Should I keep it grey... (Can anyone suggest reliable bumper trim refurb spray?)

or...paint it black?

The only thing is the badges above the rear arches may not match...

Torn!

I always use the tissues from armorgard (don't know if available in Australia) to clean the plastic to remove the oxidation and a another product (like poorboys trim restorer) to nourish the plastic again. If you only use the last product the effect will wear off very quickly. With the cleaner it will last more than a year.

I always use the tissues from armorgard (don't know if available in Australia) to clean the plastic to remove the oxidation and a another product (like poorboys trim restorer) to nourish the plastic again. If you only use the last product the effect will wear off very quickly. With the cleaner it will last more than a year.

can you link the poorboy here, please? Armourguard is available here, but the other one i have no idea what it could be. Perhaps if we identify the composition we can find something equivalent?

Use this stuff.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plasticar...ssories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item3a754f8d78

It lasts for a few years.
It even has a 205 on the label :D

Oh, and you can get it in grey too.

I used some Australian brand bumper trim (had an aussie flag on it) on my previous 205's which were great. You're used that stuff PDJ??

But I had thought about sanding the scuff marks and nicks off the bumpers then, then rejuvenating them with a some sort or lacquer or long lasting refurb paint.

In turn keeping the car as original and shmick as possible...

Do you happen to have a link ?

I used some Australian brand bumper trim (had an aussie flag on it) on my previous 205's which were great. You're used that stuff PDJ??

I've got a bottle in the garage.
Neither of my 205's look good enough (or have rego) for me to try it yet. :rolleyes:
I've read lots of positive reports on gtidrivers though.

Supa cheep have a product called forever black it's about $20 a bottle

It works very well it comes with a cleaner ,I found prep sole works better to clean the plastics

Also the black dye is in a bottle with a sponge on the top I took the top off and put some dye in a container

and used a bigger pice of sponge to rub it on I will take about 3 coates for a good finish

The trick is to clean it very well washing it first with a pressure cleaner and then use the prep sole (grease

and wax remover) before applying the dye.

Regards Jamie

Supa cheep have a product called forever black it's about $20 a bottle

It works very well it comes with a cleaner ,I found prep sole works better to clean the plastics

Also the black dye is in a bottle with a sponge on the top I took the top off and put some dye in a container

and used a bigger pice of sponge to rub it on I will take about 3 coates for a good finish

The trick is to clean it very well washing it first with a pressure cleaner and then use the prep sole (grease

and wax remover) before applying the dye.

Regards Jamie

So its a black dye? Or grey?

If i can make them look 'like new' again and for it to last (and not fade in the carwash) I will.

Otherwise black it might be...

I'll suss the super cheap stuff out for sure!

I discovered by accident something that rejuvenated the colour on my bumper. It is silicone grease. I smeared some when trying to grease the rear lights' connectors and knowing I can't get it off, I rubbed it in properly. Looks really smart now, took all the faded aspect away and the bumper looks nice and black again. I wouldn't use it inside though, it's too greasy.

This is probably a rotten quality photo...but i just sprayed a silicon spray to see if its the colour i want them to look like...

Attachments

• carjpg.jpg
    carjpg.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 681
here for the poorboy

http://www.poorboysworld.com/trim-restorer.htm

silicon based I would not use because it will attract dirt again

other possibility that is fairly easy to do is to use lacquer that is used to color leather. It gives a smooth semi gloss finish and lasts very long.

If you are going to repaint you must remove all residu of previous products and dirt. Degrease very good, apply a special primer for plastic, spray withing 20 minutes a base coat and then apply a semi gloss color of choice. Best is to use 2 component paint because it will dry out to be very though. 1 component paint can be sratched with your nail.

So its a black dye? Or grey?

If i can make them look 'like new' again and for it to last (and not fade in the carwash) I will.

Otherwise black it might be...

I'll suss the super cheap stuff out for sure!

carwash = scratch wash

the only good way to wash a car is with 2 buckets and a good fluffy washglove. 2 buckets: 1 with just water and 1 with the soap+water in it. You do a piece of your car and you clean the glove in the bucket with water. Then put it in the 2nd bucket to wash the car always with a clean glove.
And always before even to start washing the car is to hose it down properly to rinse of the biggest particles of dirt.

Plasticare sure gets a big wrap on the Gtidrivers forum...I'm about to buy some but also can't decide whether to keep the original S1/2 grey or go black.

Here's a pic of my previous S2 gti, I painted these trims using VHT black vinyl dye spray paint in a can. I painted all the trim (apart from the badges) on the car, deciding I'd rather spend time masking than breaking/losing clips and scratching paint. I was super anal about masking/cleaning/preparation so the whole thing (apart from the badges) took about 3 days. Results were great except on one 1cm patch where the masking tap pulled the paint...and this was enough to make me think twice about using it again...I assumed a dye wouldn't lift like paint but would penetrate the plastic...the VHT paint went on looking like a dye but this little patch definitely pulled off like paint, exposing the original bumper colour underneath.

So this time around I'm going to try the Plasticare...seems like it should be much easier to apply than paint.

Cheers
Dave

IMG_1106.jpg

Plasticare sure gets a big wrap on the Gtidrivers forum...I'm about to buy some but also can't decide whether to keep the original S1/2 grey or go black.

Personally I would buy a bottle of each and mix a little bit of black with the grey until it matched the trim colour.

I much prefer the dark grey of factory trims ( S3 ) to black which in my opinion stands out a bit too much but each to their own.

Aren't the S3's meant to be black and the S1's and 2's grey?

IMO deep black trims on a dark car don't look as good because they don't contrast enough...but I think deep black trims on red and white gti's look great...but then then the lighter grey doesn't look bad either... when it's all freshly Plasitcared.

IMO deep black trims on a dark car don't look as good because they don't contrast enough...but I think deep black trims on red and white gti's look great...but then then the lighter grey doesn't look bad either... when it's all freshly Plasitcared.

I agree with black trim on Red GTi's. Well my Miami blue GTi is 1992 with grey carpet, half leather and what would seem to be grey trim & darker grey dash than my S1/2 GTi. Figure that one out.

Never quite understood the grey trim.

Attached is also the 'painted' black trim on my red GTi, a good contrast as Dave mentioned.

Attachments

• IMG_31261.jpg
    IMG_31261.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 445
  • IMG_99821.jpg
    IMG_99821.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 842
Last edited:
The black trim on red GTi looks great there Pug-life.
My red Si doesn't have as much trim but might do that out in black.

Can anyone recommend a good spray on dye for the faded tops of the back seats?

Paul.

S3 trims are actually a very dark grey and is listed by Peugeot Servicebox as Hurricane Grey.

S1 / S2 are a much lighter Grey.

The black trim on red GTi looks great there Pug-life.
My red Si doesn't have as much trim but might do that out in black.

Can anyone recommend a good spray on dye for the faded tops of the back seats?

Paul.

Cheers. I think having a darker tint in the windows accentuates it a little bit which works well.

I used the VHT bumper trim paint. Goes on well with several coats. It has a car sideview mirror picture on the front.

Julian