The 195/55R15 Tyre Thread

kermit said:
How many ks did you get Justin?

About 34,000km - quite a lot from that tyre really.

Having said that, I'll ask Peter/rek about GS-D3 longevity when his are worn out - long tyre life is a speciality of his, some could say :)

Has anyone had anything to do with Fulda Attiros? Bob Jane talk them up as common fitment to many of the 306's that come in. Don't look or sound all that flash. What about Michelin Precedas. Dad has them on his STi, seem to be a very quiet high performance tyre.
It is very amusing how each place obviously have the brand they supply and bag out the others. I suppose they are only doing business though.
Got a quote to have my 4 cyclones repaired (scuffs) and repainted. $700 for the 4 wheels!!!!!!!!:evil: Any suggestions?
Cheers
Iain R

irossiter said:
What about Michelin Precedas. Dad has them on his STi, seem to be a very quiet high performance tyre.
Got a quote to have my 4 cyclones repaired (scuffs) and repainted. $700 for the 4 wheels!!!!!!!!:evil: Any suggestions?
Friends that have Precedas on their 180s have said the OEM P7000 were better.

I got my all four of my Coupe wheels refreshed for $540, $500 for the refresh of the wheels, $40 for removal and refit/balance of the tyres.

Wow, this is a crazy amount of information on 195/55r15 tyre!! :crazy: :eek: Can anyone recommend a good, all-round tyre that doesnt break the budget? I dont want the ultimate best tyre out there, but something that kinda covers all bases without going overboard would be nice :)
Cheers :cheers:

Yoko C drive is what I'd go for in terms of great quality but not too expensive... It's not the most extreme performance tyre out there by any means. It's good value and I finally see myself returning to Yokohama :)

Fulda Attiro is also very good quality german tyre at a relatively cheap price. My local BobJane (exclusive to these guys btw) is not that keen to negotiate a good price :(

Go306 said:
Can anyone recommend a good, all-round tyre that doesnt break the budget?:

Toyo TPG Gu:Wn (which I have) seem great - a fairly high performance tyre for a low-ish price ($150 each from memory).

Quiet on the highway, good wet-weather performance (yeah right, like you need that).

Being a very recent AF member and having finally :) purchased my first Pug (1994 306 S16), had it for one day and loving it - find myself daydreaming at work thinkings of roads i now must drive again.

Anyway, it looks like tyres will be required soon. It is currently shod with Michelin Pilot MX (i think? maybe MXV - at work struggling to work that photographic memory). Previously I have had a lot of experiance with Yokohama on a heavy front drive car (go the Magna) firstly with AVS, then A539 and currently C-Drive on the front. From my experiance C-Drive are far superior to the other two yokies.

BUT for the S16 it will be a different matter - i would like handling (road holding and feel) but not at the expense of ridiculously high wear rates. As always price is a bit of a consideration - $190-200 a corner is a bit rich for me, and preferrably not too much road roar.

Would my main options be:

- Yoko C-Drive
- Michelin Preceda
- Goodyear GS-D3 or REVSPEC

Any suggestions.

My Bad!

The current tyres are Michelin Pilot HX - anyone know these?

They are looking pretty shoddy, outside shoulders or all four pretty worn (low tyre pressures?)

Any recommended (price/service) tyre suppliers in the Ryde/Gladesville area?

Sorry to get off topic here, but did u by any chance purchase the s16 at Gladesville Prestige C_balls?

C drives ramblings

I've just about wornout my c-drives(195/55/15)after about 20000 hard Km,and at first I was not overly impressed with their performance as they replaced some 008's (205/50/15)and were not anywhere near them for dry performance.A near acident with a cyclist in the wet,avoided by C-drive wet weather stickiness, convinced me of their merit.
The outside edges wore down ever so quickly, and after bumping the presure up to 32 psi,the wear evened out and as they wore into the indicators on the tread,I've either got used to a more average tyre,or their performance is increasing as they wear out.I stuck a pair of yoki a539 in 205/50/15 on just a few days ago, and was not impressed at all. for the same corner speed,as the c-drives, the things are squeeling and carrying on like I'm lighting it up.I will give them a few weeks to get used to me, but as it stands now,am already thinking of an alternative,mabey a new set of C-drives.The load rating of 89 is good for us fuego gang also, as the car has 88 on the placard.
I found My C-drives in edgecliff bob jane.$180 a corner, and good service.Wraped my old 008's in plastic and even have free caffe bar while you wait.
Jo

jo proffi said:
I've just about wornout my c-drives(195/55/15)after about 20000 hard Km,and at first I was not overly impressed with their performance as they replaced some 008's (205/50/15)and were not anywhere near them for dry performance.A near acident with a cyclist in the wet,avoided by C-drive wet weather stickiness, convinced me of their merit.
The outside edges wore down ever so quickly, and after bumping the presure up to 32 psi,the wear evened out and as they wore into the indicators on the tread,I've either got used to a more average tyre,or their performance is increasing as they wear out.I stuck a pair of yoki a539 in 205/50/15 on just a few days ago, and was not impressed at all. for the same corner speed,as the c-drives, the things are squeeling and carrying on like I'm lighting it up.I will give them a few weeks to get used to me, but as it stands now,am already thinking of an alternative,mabey a new set of C-drives.The load rating of 89 is good for us fuego gang also, as the car has 88 on the placard.
I found My C-drives in edgecliff bob jane.$180 a corner, and good service.Wraped my old 008's in plastic and even have free caffe bar while you wait.
Jo

Thanks for some feedback - I found that the C-Drives were definately superior to A539 in dry and wet and better 'feel' - you need all you can get in a Magna.

Hate to say that I think the price of $180 seems a bit rich, I got two for $150 each in West Ryde in 215/60/16 (Tyre & Wheel i think - they tend to match or better most other people price).

Is the Yokohama C-Drive likely to be the best 'compromise' tyre (handling/wear/price) for a pricemark of around $150 a tyre?? Anyone?

C_Balls said:
Thanks for some feedback - I found that the C-Drives were definately superior to A539 in dry and wet and better 'feel' - you need all you can get in a Magna.

Hate to say that I think the price of $180 seems a bit rich, I got two for $150 each in West Ryde in 215/60/16 (Tyre & Wheel i think - they tend to match or better most other people price).

Is the Yokohama C-Drive likely to be the best 'compromise' tyre (handling/wear/price) for a pricemark of around $150 a tyre?? Anyone?

if you can get GS-D3 in your size then that's the one to go...it defienitely has longer range than 20K+ since I've done past that stage which included track days and spritied drives. :cheers:

C_Balls said:

heya c_balls..

I'm now on my second set of Dunlop LM702s. I think theyre a pretty good tyre. nice grip and feel, good wet weather grip too. not too soft - my last set last me for close to 20,000k - this is on a 405mi16, so quite a heavy car compared to yours. I also drive a little "spirited" at every opportunity :D

I realise they are now a fairly old tyre but that means you can also get some good deals... my first set cost me $160 a corner, the last set $100 per corner which is a damn good deal if you ask me..

just my :2cents:

C_Balls said:

No skin of my nose,that price was paid last winter, and as it had startet to rain,I needed to replace the 008s immediatly,and there did not seem too many places that had 195/55/15.Haggling was not a huge option,safety was.Whilst doing sub speed limit speed,I'd just skated down eastern vally way with no breaking potential, and just enough steering to avoid the gutter and a head on.I think someone had spilt fuel,but it was enough of a scare to make me change tyres that minuet.Whats a few bucks when it comes to saving a life.
Jo

C_Balls said:
I found that the C-Drives were definately superior to A539 in dry and wet and better 'feel'
Should be as it only arrived on the market in '04. The 539 has been around for years.

yokohama C-drive is better then A539 l bought last week DUNLOP SPORT MAXX its good tyres.l was buy A539 for my 205gti years 2002 l paid 4 of them $600 for a dunlop sport maxx for my mazda6 luxury sport paid$760 latsest released tyres. l was think about the buy a C-drive..bceause,lts good tyres

32 psi still seems on the low side for pressure. I mucked around with the pressures on my 205 for my 195/50 preceda's, and found 38 (cold pressure) all round to be right for maximum grip. The ride didn't degrade noticeably, and the wear was very even. There is a significant gain in grip and feel from going to that pressure. I found my car to be running out of grip and understeering earlier when i got my car back after a two month break, fixed the pressures and it was all good (they were at 33 all round).

If your dampers are up to it, i suggest trying that pressure. My old swift wasn't, and the tail would skip around because of the increased spring rate of the rear tyres, so i had to run it softer. I know that sounds like rampant stupidity, but it was all very scientific, and when i got it right the thing handled quite well for a shopping trolley. :joker:

BTW, any news on the availability of exalto's? I'm in love with these preceda's, but i would really like to try the more aggressive version next time. :)

Cubits said:
If your dampers are up to it, i suggest trying that pressure. My old swift wasn't, and the tail would skip around because of the increased spring rate of the rear tyres, so i had to run it softer. I know that sounds like rampant stupidity, but it was all very scientific, and when i got it right the thing handled quite well for a shopping trolley. :joker:

BTW, any news on the availability of exalto's? I'm in love with these preceda's, but i would really like to try the more aggressive version next time. :)

Higher tyre pressure gives you more lateral grip, plus a stiffer suspension so you grip level should be increased dramatically.

Manufacturer's recommended tyre pressure is usually good for comfort not performance, if you attend those defensive driving courses you'll be told 34psi should be the minimum on road cars to increase the contact patch to give goo d grip. Since I have my car I use 38psi cold since and it never gave me any issues wear or grip wise and I use around 40psi cold on the track.

Michelines are good IMO in the dry but they tend to engineer the performance in the dry, wet grip even though is good is not in the same league as the GS-D3. Most importantly Preceda doesn't give you much feedback (prev tyres i used) and will suddenly let go if you're going around too fast, whereas the GS-D3 will give you plenty of feedback and warning so it's much more confident tyre to be on.

Jason

it rained last night, and in the fuego,was able to evaluate the a539 in the wet, and they dont hang on as well as the c-drive.The a539 is a lot more fun though, because it looses traction in a very linear way, as opposed to the c drives who hang on longer, but let go with more suddeness.All in all, the c drive is definatly a superior tyre.Without resorting to the handbreak, which is against my rules,I could not get the a539 front end to make the c-drive rear end loose it,despite the fact that it was raining hard, and the c-drives are nearly slicks.Thats the way I like my fuego set up.If I'm going to stack,I'd rather be going forwards!!
I find 32-4 psi to be about the maximum I can go without jaring my bones too much.The roads I travel are just shit, and getting worse every time it rains.I wonder if the road making people actually think we are fooled by the 2 inch veneer that they call a re surface.Thanks for the tip,though,guys.
Jo

jo proffi said:
I find 32-4 psi to be about the maximum I can go without jaring my bones too much.The roads I travel are just shit, and getting worse every time it rains.I wonder if the road making people actually think we are fooled by the 2 inch veneer that they call a re surface.Thanks for the tip,though,guys.
Jo

hehehe, that's always the problem on bad roads...

do remember, the higher the tyre pressure the more open are the grooves so water channeling will be better offering you more grip. :cheers: