I simply don't believe this ...............

DoubleChevron

Real cars have hydraulics
VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
The XM had a wierd sqeak last night that sounded a little like a speedo cable making noise in unison to the speed......................... Given it has an electronic speedo that constantly lies I had no bloody idea until this morning .....

You gotta be f#cking kidding me :(

There was no warning at all of this :( ...................... Only bloody Poogoe would design something that's failure condition is this ................... AAAARrrrrrhhhhhhhh......

attachment.php

seeya,
Shane L.

Attachments

• P1050477.jpg
    P1050477.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 2,934
The number plate sums it up perfectly.

Sorry to see such carnage.

Jo

On the plus side, at least it punched through in the driveway, as opposed to out on the road with the wife/kids in the car!

Moral of the story: check your mounts!

On the plus side, at least it punched through in the driveway, as opposed to out on the road with the wife/kids in the car!

Moral of the story: check your mounts!

I've never heard of one going when underway. They seem to let go when you have full lock on going backwards (ie: backing out of your drive).

The really was no warning at all. I have a look at them everytime I lift the bonnet. I last did the "broomstick" trick about 6months ago and they have always seemed fine ... sigh ....

I rang Martin Bray to find out the availability of strut mounts. It sound like a minimum of $500 each if you can find them :EEK: .... That's almost enough to write the car off IMO. Of course Martin Bray mentioned you can make brackets to catch the mounts if they ever break. Yep SWMBO heard me say on the phone "I made up a set of the Xantia we had, but haven't had time for this car".... So obviously it's all my fault now .... sigh ......

seeya,
Shane L.

Ohh Shane, that is sooo crap...

I've got a bonnet you can have for the cost of freight if that helps? In fact you can have the whole car, it's mounts were renewed when I bought the car.

I know of someone that claimed the whole job on his insurance (on a Xantia), mechanical and the body repair, have you looked into this as an option?

Cheers
Chris

Shane it's a bastard thing to happen, but at least in your driveway.

The Poms are now starting to get engine and strut mounts rebuilt in Estonia by that mob and so far so good.

That sucks, Shane.

We might have to grab GreenBlood's whole car. If I can't get mine going I might need the engine out of his. It's a long way from Brisbane though. It's a bizarre thought that a car can have an auto box supposedly on its last legs for 80,000 km but it's the engine that is stopping it from running at the moment.

Roger

That sucks, Shane.

We might have to grab GreenBlood's whole car. If I can't get mine going I might need the engine out of his. It's a long way from Brisbane though. It's a bizarre thought that a car can have an auto box supposedly on its last legs for 80,000 km but it's the engine that is stopping it from running at the moment.

Roger

Sounds like a plan :D

Roger I couldn't guarantee the condition of the engine, it's been sitting unused and has not been started for about 2 years. Between the two of you though shipping cost shared it would be a spares car you both should benefit from...

Cheers
Chris

That sucks, Shane.

Roger

i'll put dibs on the alternator :D

That's a real bugger Shane, and a wake up call to the rest of use who are playing chicken with these strut mounts.

Let me know if you and Roger do anything with the car - I need a few niggly bits and pieces like a glove box lid.

Also check that the strut tops off an early V6 fit the diesel - could be they don't fit your car but will fit mine :roflmao:

My friend Chris is scrapping a green XM 2.1 diesel estate at the moment, Shall I ask him to see what the strut tops are like?

I agonised over my front struts a while back. They were both ready to let go and had been previously replaced with second hand units. In my opinion you are better off to replace with new ones only as you will have no idea when/if the replacements will suffer the same fate.

Genuine stock new ones were about $ 1200 each - if you can get them. And the early V6 and the deisel models are fatter struts apparently - I guess you could replace all of the lighter components though.

cheers
Hawk

Not good, looking on the bright side you could get about on that pink trike, just a thought.

Not good, looking on the bright side you could get about on that pink trike, just a thought.

There's always the mighty CX ....... She'd never let me down like this..... Constant niggly issues ... yep (well it is a CX), but never stupidly engineered crap like this :(

SWMBO is refusing to drive the CX because she's worried it'll break down and then I can't even come and get her :clown:

For the first time ever I'm going to have to try and borrow a car from my parents..... We need to get one of the oldies onto club rego so we have a backup car (trouble is she'd probably refuse to drive that too... incase it breaks down :rolleyes: ).

I keep saying to my father we need to get the traction onto the road on club rego .... Could you think of a better car to cruise around town in :approve: He's sucesfully completelly ignoring me though :disappr:

seeya,
Shane L.

... I have a look at them everytime I lift the bonnet. I last did the "broomstick" trick about 6months ago and they have always seemed fine ... sigh ....

seeya,
Shane L.

despite the damage...I'm glad it let go when the bonnet was closed and not when you were checking!

...I agree with ARCHRIVAL, all I can say is ....Bugger! :(

Oh Poo!

I once helped change struts on an Xm 2.0 and as soon as I saw how they worked thought they were a bad design. Apart from the rubber the whole ram being the way it was seemed to go against all prior Citroen design.