Xantia lock button

ARCHRIVAL

Fellow Frogger
Any tricks in refitting after breaking just about everything putting the drivers door card back on I do not want to destroy this little piece of engineering exellence refitting little button down grippy teeth open little button up grippy teeth closed do i jam it down with teeth closed and break it or put it on with the teeth open and ten close them around the serrated wire someway once on ??:confused:

Any tricks in refitting after breaking just about everything putting the drivers door card back on I do not want to destroy this little piece of engineering exellence refitting little button down grippy teeth open little button up grippy teeth closed do i jam it down with teeth closed and break it or put it on with the teeth open and ten close them around the serrated wire someway once on ??:confused:

Before you refit it,
  1. Pull the internal "grippy teeth" from the plunger and place the "grippy teeth" into boiling water for about 5 minutes. This makes the plastic more flexible and lets it adopt its original shape (ie both legs parallel).
  2. Put it back into the plunger so that it clicks into the first (lowest) hole.
  3. Open the window.
  4. Standing outside the car, lock the door using the central locking.
  5. Position the plunger over the threaded rod.
  6. Hold the plunger down with your finger and at the same time "unlock" the car using central locking.
This should allow the threaded rod to engage the "grippy teeth". Operate the central locking to check that the plunger goes down the full amount. If it doesn't, repeat step 6.

I had that exact problem last weekend and I had to repeat step 6.

John

should this proceedure pop the internal part of the plunger up into the higher hole or does it stay in the lower hole?

should this proceedure pop the internal part of the plunger up into the higher hole or does it stay in the lower hole?

It pops it into the higher hole, which closes the grippers onto the threaded rod. As it goes from the bottom hole to the top hole, the sides of the gripper is pushed in by the wedge shape inside the plunger.

John

Mine is done and working too - as is the Turkish-supplied clip in the window regulator (reason for pulling the door panel apart).

I found heating the grippers and carefully spreading them parallel while hot - similar to your suggestion, John - worked well in conjunction with the Haynes technique ("Refitting" - page 12.7 14(c)).

Main thing is the locking button is level with the top of its surround when the door's unlocked and shows the red stippling when it's locked.

Thanks for your help in resolving a fiddly task.

Chris