Lead fuel additive

mnm

Croak croak...
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Hi hi hi

I bought my D Special and was given a bottle of lead additive for fill ups. Are the original DS valves hardened or is the additive neccessary?

Thanks

Matthew

Is this additive lead tetra ethyl? This was added to Super petrol before it was banned by our Federal Government. It should run a lot better as the old Super was around 101RON (rated octane number) and the nearest we can get today is ULP 98, which is still too low for the DS.
Where did you acquire this potion?
The lead lobby will go off their brains if they find out, they were barking up the wrong tree is the first instance.
Go to saishem.limewebs.com/dangers/ulp1.htlm

Is this additive lead tetra ethyl? This was added to Super petrol before it was banned by our Federal Government. It should run a lot better as the old Super was around 101RON (rated octane number) and the nearest we can get today is ULP 98, which is still too low for the DS.
The lead lobby will go off their brains if they find out, they were barking up the wrong tree is the first instance.

Hey

Am I doing something wrong/ The link doesn't want to work:confused:

You guys are lucky to have 98 octane!! We only have 93 lead replacement and 95unleaded:(. Leaded fuel (super) were stopped in 2005 here.. We have lead replacement petrol I don't know if it's worth it but I prefer it above unleaded, I know the DS ran on unleaded since ever but still quite sceptical... I should start putting 95 unleaded in one of my unrestored scruffy DS's and see what happens..... Just a test.... I do use william penn valve ease as an additive in the Safari and the scruffy pallas and do feel more relaxed does it even help? A good or a bad help?

Chees
Corne

A DS that has been running for its whole life on leaded petrol will have " conditioned " the valves and seats with the lead from the super fuel.
If you dont touch the valves and seats then it will run forever on unleaded fuel.
However if you give the head a service and grind the valves and seats and run it on ULP then you will get valve seat regression.
Dont touch , dont ask.

So are DS valve stems hardened?, self lubricating or what?

The D has an alloy head, therefore must have hard valve seat inserts, therefore does not need a lead additive.

Just run it on the right unleaded fuel 95 or 98 RON

Greg

Like the DS, the 2CV has alloy heads with steel inserts. It runs OK on unleaded (98 by preference or 95 or before they put ethanol in it, 90).

Mind you, it is a lot less intelligent that its big sibling, so it is probably too stupid to notice what it eats.

My problem isn't lead additives. I require a lead foot prophylactic.

John

A DS that has been running for its whole life on leaded petrol will have " conditioned " the valves and seats with the lead from the super fuel.
If you dont touch the valves and seats then it will run forever on unleaded fuel.
However if you give the head a service and grind the valves and seats and run it on ULP then you will get valve seat regression.
Dont touch , dont ask.

I'll stick to lead replacement then till it is discontinued

Cheers
Corne

Corne , from what I've heard of the reputation of lead replacement it is a fuel of last resort for cars with cast iron heads that don't have hardened valve seat inserts.
Personally, I'd be using the 95 octane unleaded for it's greater resistance to preignition. Important to get the ignition timing right so that it doesn't ping, especially if you have more lead in your foot than your fuel. High speed/load detonation is not usually audible & a great burner of holes in pistons. Don't ask how I know !

Cheers, Richard

Yhe lead was also a lube,when unleaded first came out the then current Falcon used to suffer from seized valves in the guides if not run for a couple of weeks.

Go to Nexus Magazine then type "leaded petrol" into the search engine. you will get; The lies about unleaded petrol. Parts 1, 2, & 3.
I wrote about lead tetra ethyl previously and got the reply can you drink it with coke. Uncouth troglodytes.

arunine,
I've been using "FlashLube" via its manifold dispenser. My '79 504 is going OK thus far.
They don't claim it as an octane enhancement, for me it's for the valve seats.

arunine,
I've been using "FlashLube" via its manifold dispenser. My '79 504 is going OK thus far.
They don't claim it as an octane enhancement, for me it's for the valve seats.

I use Redline in the R8 for the same reason. All these French cars have alloy heads with valve seat inserts, so they aren't as susceptible to seat recession as those lovely cast iron heads used by the late BMC and others.

If you have an alloy headed engine you don't need to use a lead additive. I have been running the Prestige (and my former CX and Pug 504) since I have had it on unleaded fuel. It has done about 365k km since then with never a problem. Neither did either of the former and they covered large mileages too. You are just wasting your money.

Like I said before just run on Premium unleaded 95 or 98 octane and you will be right. I generally run the Prestige on 95 in winter and 98 in summer when the extra load of air con and higher temps will cause it to ping on 95

Greg

I won't go into the anti-lead argument area BUT the additives in the various "lead substitutes" are not tetra-ethyl lead but a range of substitutes aimed at providing the valve seat protection that was, I think, accidentally afforded by leaded petrol. Tetra-ethyl lead was an "octane rating" improver allowing higher compression ratios, better consumption, power etc etc. It was extraordinarily good in its day. Better technology rendered it obsolete a long time ago and we've moved on. The only problem is that the best RON we have is still only 98 whereas, as you say, the old "Super" was 101.

When LRP was first available in Oz (that's "lead replacement petrol") it proved a disgustingly dirty fuel in combustion, causing plug fouling at the least. We found that some of the lead substitute additives were good instead, and I think many of us found later that we didn't need them either. In a year or two I'll run out of Redline lead substitute in my bottle for the R8 and won't buy any more then.

It won't be long before very few of us even remember leaded petrol. It was good for tuning indirectly, with nice grey exhausts etc.

Cheers

I used to have an Avgas swipe card and used to run one of my previous DSupers on 100/130 avgas. It ran waaaay better on that than anything you can buy at the pump :)

Apologies forthe slightly off topic reply.

If you happen to be in the aircraft maintenance industry where fuel tests and checks are required to be carried out for piston engine aircraft, you can still pick their cars by the tan exhaust when driving past hangars.....