How to make an engine block?

Chance

Fellow Frogger
How is an engine block made?
I have a timber log, a saw, a hammer and some nails. Will I need a chisel?
Seriously, how is an engine block made[up to the machining part]. I believe that it involves molten metal, sand?, cooling etc.
Nonsense replies to the first question, Serious answers to the second question.

Thanks in advance,
Chance.

Don't take this the wrong way, Chance, but you'd be better off doing a Google on 'sand casting engine block' rather than someone typing it up here.

I'm trying to convert a VHS video I have to DVD which shows Renaultsport circa 1992 making their F1 car. There are some good shots of sand casting in that - if I ever get it done, I'll send you a copy...

Cheers

Stuey

Circling the outer reaches of the internet ??

Just buy 4000 tubes of JB Weld. Voila.

Hi:):)
Where has this thread come from ?? Has it been circulating in the far reaches of the internet waiting for an appropriate time to reappear :rolleyes::rolleyes: Like a "Mary Celeste" of threads on Aussie Frogs.:eek:

Interesting link though. What's a slant 6 the youngn's will say.:clown: Best not to know:joker:

:cheers:Jaahn

How is an engine block made?
I have a timber log, a saw, a hammer and some nails. Will I need a chisel?

Thanks in advance,
Chance.

Yes, you will need a chisel.
Get a decent size bit of metal, and chisel away all the bits that don't look like engine block.
Jo

Peugeot v8

There was a post about a while back about a guy who made a v8 out of two i think 403 engines ,he made up the block ,i have also heard of some guys in bris who who make a block to mount barrels and heads of some motorcycle engine ,to make a v8 with some incredible hp figures ,google is your friend ,[if you have the time ]pugs

There was a post about a while back about a guy who made a v8 out of two i think 403 engines ,he made up the block ,i have also heard of some guys in bris who who make a block to mount barrels and heads of some motorcycle engine ,to make a v8 with some incredible hp figures ,google is your friend ,[if you have the time ]pugs

The was Jim Hawker, a Victorian Engineer, who was foundry manager of a Repco subsidary.

The blocks were 203 blocks and were parted just above the crank journals. He cast up a crankcase to support the two "barrel" assemblies. And a custom sump to suit. He narrowed down 203 rods and ran two per journal on a 403 crank.

The engine ran twin water pumps and was fitted to a much modified 403 body, which was taken from the production line, modified, then returned.

http://worm.rkweb.org/2008/WoSep08.pdf

Blimey, Rob, I remember that engine being described in one of the monthly motoring journals. Was it Motor Manual? My 20 years of monthlies dating from 1960 ended up at the Cranbourne tip in the early eighties! Wish I had them now!

Yes I saw the car and engine in the 60s (I was about 12 or 13) when my brother and his mate(who was son of the owner of Rolloy Pistons) visited Harry (Jim was nom de plume).

As it turns out some 43 years later I bought a house which less than 2 minutes walk from Jim.

Jim suffered bad health for many years and died a few years ago.

I believe the Review was in Modern Motor.

Thanks for the input. I wasn't sure if sand was used or not. I have found this site that shows how.

http://www.slantsix.org/articles/dutra-blocks/slant-blocks.htm

I'll now look and learn.

Chance

Great article on the slant six, I had an RG 225 in my VC Valiant which had excellent performance with little modification and plenty of aftermarket stuff is available to get up to 300HP. I know there is somebody who can make sand cast alloy big valve heads for 265 hemi sixes for 400HP plus from a naturally aspirated motor.

Sand casting an entire engine block of unique design would be a big challenge.

yess its not just casting something to join all the bits together ,theres a whole lot of design involved with stresses and expansion and contraction due to heat that can result in the block distorting and causeing main bearing trouble ,its not just hit and miss

Rob.... any idea when?
I have piles of mags in the shed going back to the 60s

Decca
Hi,
I read that report also. I would think it would be in the late 50s or early 60s. A friend of my fathers noticedd I was interested in cars and gave me some of his magazines instead of throwing them out. I was in heaven ;) as my nil budget did not run to buying mags.
Cheers Jaahn