eBay feedback - how influential?

Armidillo

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Sorry if this is a bit long!

I recently bought an Actia unit + software off eBay from this seller http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251011507656?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

Someone on here (Shane? - can't find post now) pointed this bundle out, and it seemed to be the only one really offering Daigbox V6 software + updates. The following (from the eBay site) really sucked me in: "Here, I double Guarantee you this hardware support Diagbox 6.07 and newer version. This interface doesn't need to be reflashed. You can use it directly with Diagbox 6.07. This interface is different from other cheaper's interface."

I felt if it was all true, it was worth the extra cost, although the DHL freight cost seemed really excessive.

Unit arrived OK and it does work up to a point (I've programmed keys for a Xantia SII and a 307). However compared to Shane's well organised supplier ( Post #69 in this thread http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/sh...d-diagagnostic-gagets/page3&highlight=diagbox) I was disappointed. No big plug for earlier cars, very dodgy-looking CDs with just a hand-scrawled label on each, and very inadequate help tucked away in various 'read-me' files. (There is a video, but it only covers Lexia & PP2000, and needs editing to get rid of the long periods when the software is being installed, nothing is changing, and no inputs required).

Diagbox updates up to 6.07 were included, and a patch tool (for DIAGBOX V5 :rolleyes:). Maybe I've missed something obvious, but I have not succeeded in following the instructions and activating Diagbox on a Win XP system. (I have installed Lexia V47 and PP2000 and activated them succesfully).

No mention was made in the read-me files (that I could find) of any way of getting the promised updates. However, on the splash screen of one of the installs, I spotted a website (www.qclt.com). From there I found my way to http://download.qclt.com/diagbox6.01/ . There I found an ISO file for Diagbox 6.01, all the step-by-step updates - right up to 6.14 - and single file to update 6.01 to either 6.14 or 6.18 in one operation! I also found the V6 patch tool!!

Biggest surprise came when trying the 6.01 -> 6.18 update - it came with instructions saying "no need to activate" (turned out to be true), and a splash screen saying this sofware was for free download, and that if you paid money for it that you had been robbed!! However I was not able to get it to recognise that my Actia was plugged in - ran out of time so dumped it and installed the separate programs. (Could it be a firmware issue? - will worry about that later...).

I tried several times to get more information from the vendor - I was hoping he would be able to give better installation instructions and tell me about the website/FTP download site. He did neither - after long delays I got generic answers, telling me basic stuff such as "must install on XP" and the password for unlocking the updates (which was actually well documented on the supplied CD). I had hoped to open a dialog with him, but he really appeared to be unable to understand my questions and was replying with random generic answers.

Finally I left negative feedback on eBay, not expecting to hear anything more. In fact I got three replies very quickly - all with similar text to that below:

"Hello, I am so sorry for late reply, I got small shoulder surgery. I just noticed you left me negative feedback. As what you said, the unit is fine. Just instructions. sorry for I didn't reply you on time.

However, negative feedback is really really hurt. I can send you partial refund to try to let you be happy. Could you please revise this negative feedback to be positive one after you receive partial refund. I am so sorry for trouble, I do apologize for that. Please, I have a family and a kid to feed. I am live on this. I try my best to make the things right.

Thank you, Paul
"

Now, apart from the minor detail that I have no idea how to change feedback, I don't feel inclined to help this person sell this underwhelming package as it is. I will try again to get him to understand the difficulties I have had, (he seems to understand my English in the feedback message perfectly well :crazy:), but am disinclined to just accept a partial refund in return for my giving glowing feedback!

What do others think!

Cheers

Alec

I've made about 50-60 tranactions on e-bay buying and selling old car magazines since April this year. I don't normally worry too much about feedback, unless it's really bad. I only glance at the feedback score, and if it's below 90%, I decide whether or not I want to take the risk depending on how much I want the magazine. After all, we're only dealing with $2-20 a transaction.

I am looking at mobile phones, and was looking a lot more carefully at the feedback scores. I was pretty much ruling out anyone with negative feedback. I dropped into the one mobile phone store in the town I work to compare, and decided the service was definitely worth the extra $40 on a $200 phone (turned out to be only $10 difference after the $30 postage was added to e-bay). At least if there's problems I can go in face to face, and they can see if it's a user problem, or phone problem.

Feedback is the only thing other purchasers will have to decide whether or not to buy from the seller, so I can see it would be really important. But it sounds like they didn't try and resolve the issue until it was too late.

Have you seen his other negative feedbacks......

Mine is the only negative feedback :(

I think you need to be very careful what the seller is selling and what you think he is selling. If he didn't promise or doesn't describe the unit to do what you expect it to, then I am afraid there are no grounds for negative feedback. I have sold and bought on ebay for yonks and still have 100% positive f/b because I respect these rules with myself and others.

If the unit was described to do something that it doesn't, then by all means go right ahead, but if it is as described, I am afraid your opinion of what the seller should be selling does not count (and he can have the feedback from you removed by ebay).

To avoid confusion, I always email with questions I consider really important (not happy with generic description/links provided and such). I specify what i want the product to do or ask specifically if something is part of the package or not and wait for a clear yes or no answer. That way, if something is not as described, I have proof it is not what I bought. Answers such as "read description" turn me away from buying.

I have had problems with people answering without reading my questions carefully, but due to my very clear questions I always got my money back and left negative feedback (I never withdraw it, considering that my questions give a fair second chance for anyone to carefully think about what they are selling).

I do rely on feedback. Lower than 99% is too low for significant amounts of money (over 50$) to be spent.

Well at the moment it doesn't work at all with Version 6.x of Diagbox (see http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/sh...and-diagagnostic-gagets&p=1105708#post1105708), despite the vendor's assurance:

"Here, I double Guarantee you this hardware support Diagbox 6.07 and newer version. This interface doesn't need to be reflashed. You can use it directly with Diagbox 6.07. This interface is different from other cheaper's interface."

If this can be sorted I'd consider withdrawing the negative feedback, but as it happens I don't know how to withdraw it! :confused:

Cheers

Alec

Well at the moment it doesn't work at all with Version 6.x of Diagbox (see http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/sh...and-diagagnostic-gagets&p=1105708#post1105708), despite the vendor's assurance:

"Here, I double Guarantee you this hardware support Diagbox 6.07 and newer version. This interface doesn't need to be reflashed. You can use it directly with Diagbox 6.07. This interface is different from other cheaper's interface."

If this can be sorted I'd consider withdrawing the negative feedback, but as it happens I don't know how to withdraw it! :confused:

Cheers

Alec

I think you need to contact ebay to withdraw negative feedback.