50yrs of R8 and A110 - Easter Meet 2013

renault8&10

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
This year marks 50 yrs since the R8 and A110 were launched and (for the R8 at least), next year will be the anniversary of it's launch into the Australian market. A few clubs have floated around the idea of a National R8 (and A110) get-together for Easter next year.

For those who want to attend there would be two options:

1. Saturday meet up at Temora Aviation Museum for lunch. At this stage we do not know if this will be a "flying weekend" or not. Participants would just need to let us know they are coming (as we will allocate special parking for any R8's, R8G's or A110's). Lunch (available from the museum at the participants cost) or BYO.

2. Join in the full or partial program of events for the 4CV Muster. The 4CV Register is holding their bi-annual muster in nearby Junee and all 4CV's and rear-enginered Renaults are welcome (occasionally some FWD ones too!). The programme starts off with a BBQ dinner friday night; an evening AGM dinner after the Temora visit; some interesting local sightseeing Sunday in and around Junee; and finishing off with a visit to a licorice factory on Monday. To attend any or all of these; participants would be required to register; book and pay for activities in advance direct to the 4CV Register.

If you are interested in going, you would need to book accommodation promptly if wishing to stay in Junee as it is filling up fast.

Costs for the 4CV muster program and contact details will be posted here once available (in about 1 months time).

This is just to put a flag in place to save the date and get an idea of interest.

Kevin

Bump.
Who's thinking of coming along?
I hope to get the program of 4CV activities and costs shortly.

KB

Bump.
Who's thinking of coming along?
I hope to get the program of 4CV activities and costs shortly.

KB

Just caught this as I was browsing.

I can assure you at least 5 entries to the muster will be coming along from Adelaide.

Cheers

Phil :wink2:

I expect the usual QLD contingent will be there, myself included. Total is usually about 20 4CVs, 4 Dauphines/G, and maybe 6-8 Floride/Caravelles and a few R8/10 are at the event. There have been the occasional R4 which we readily accept, even if the engine is at the wrong end.

Most from QLD drive our little cars down to the event, a long way at 85-90 Kph (Std top speed 105kph) with 21 Hp on a good day. My 4CV has been detuned to a bit over 100 Hp.

I'll be going qua member of the 4CV Register (taking my 4CV, not my R8). It'll be nice to see the spread of rear engined Renaults & meet froggers. Peter

Ok,
It's now 2013, only a few short months' to go.
The 4CV register has now published the program for the weekend together with some indicative prices for those wishing to piggyback onto the other activities going on over the weekend - remember it's free if you just want to rock up on the Saturday lunch (BYO or buy it there) meet at the Aviation museum (you just need to let us know for numbers), but to join in the other stuff you MUST pay in advance to the Registrar treasurer. Details available via PM

The Full Program courtesy of the 4CV register:

Registration for the muster (per car) $15
Friday 29th March - Arrival; Evening BYO BBQ @ Junee Motor Inn

Saturday 30th March - Temora Aviation Museum visit & 50th Anniversary for R8 & A110's - Museum entry Adult $14; Seniors $11 (>65yrs); Child $7

- Evening 4CV AGM and dinner Railway Station Restaurant - Adult $22.50; child $11.25

Sunday 31st March - Morning visit to Monte Cristo Historic Homestead - Adult $10; child $6

- Lunch Red Cow Hotel Junee - Adult $12.50; child $6

- Afternoon visit to Railway Roundhouse Museum $4 per person

- 4:30pm Swap Meet at Junee Motor Inn

- dinner (own arrangements)

Monday 1st April - 10am Morning tea & Licorice factory tour - $10 per person.

You can mix and match and attend only those events that you wish. The 4CV Register has an official entry form which I will ask if I can modify and reproduce for use for Non-register members who wish to attend the other items and clarify contact/payment details so watch this space.....

regards
Kevin

I expect the usual QLD contingent will be there, myself included. Total is usually about 20 4CVs, 4 Dauphines/G, and maybe 6-8 Floride/Caravelles and a few R8/10 are at the event. There have been the occasional R4 which we readily accept, even if the engine is at the wrong end.

Most from QLD drive our little cars down to the event, a long way at 85-90 Kph (Std top speed 105kph) with 21 Hp on a good day. My 4CV has been detuned to a bit over 100 Hp.

All being well we have two R8s coming over from Perth. My red R1130 and Syd Middleton's white R1132. Syd has done a fair bit of work on his and mine has its first ever new rear wheel bearings and new paint.

Attachments

• Hub nut tightening sml.jpg
    Hub nut tightening sml.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 272
  • R8 truer colour sml.jpg
    R8 truer colour sml.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 259

Hi Alan,

You have apparently driven there before, what is the favoured route, The Pacific, New England/ Putty Road, Newell?

You blokes are in for a treat; there are some fantastic driving roads around the area. Just a nice blend of curves and visibility.

Hi Alan,

You have apparently driven there before, what is the favoured route, The Pacific, New England/ Putty Road, Newell?

If I throw my two cents worth in; it would be

Most scenic but longest (Pacific)

Easiest (NE/Putty or F3/F7/Hume)

Truckies way (and therefore probably the most direct - Newell)

The last few times I have driven the New England Hwy. I was amazed at the lack of heavy trucks, almost no trucks except those that service the local areas so the NE looks inviting to me. I agree the long haul truckers take the Newell which I am not a fan of, but it would be good to travel in convoy with the rest of the Queenslanders which ever way they choose.

According to my friends at Google maps the New England Highway to Maitland/Bathurst/Junee Route is only 60km more than taking the Newell Highway.

Any locals from down that way have any input as to it's suitability?

junee.jpg

Depends how "hard" you want to be about getting the drive done, and how much you want to enjoy it. Agree with KB, from the perspective of shifting efficiently from A to B either the Pac/Hume or Newell are probably going to be fastest. If you're going to be doing it in one rather long day, choose a route where the end stages either occur after dusk or don't aim at the sunset before then. I find the traffic a bit slow around the Bathurst area (maybe a combination of tourists and enthusiastic policing?) and this impacts on elapsed time.

Don't underestimate the sheer number of school zones in one horse towns, to really screw your afternoon run.

Hi Alan,

I would generally go the New England, with some detours along the way to see new territory. The Newell may be quicker, but for most of the 4CVs only doing their 90Kph, they are an inconvenience on the road with all of the trucks trying to get to places. Mostly the 4CVs use secondary roads parallel to the NE, and stop every 2 hours for a cup of tea and cake. They don't make big distance in a day, maybe 600K. The 4cv group owners are getting older and are not keen to push their cars to 100Kph for long periods, or into the night with their 6V lights. I am one of the "young" guys at 48.

There are more towns on the NE, just in case you have some problems. As has been said, the trip down there is part of the event to be enjoyed, and it is not a matter of A to B, although I have been guilty of this in the past, and drove to Wellington straight through for the last Muster, stopping only for fuel and a bite to eat along the way.

Although my 4CV has plenty of speed, it still is a light, short wheelbase car, and is still blown all over the road by trucks coming the other way, and becomes less stable at speed. Unlike my later vehicles, I always have both hands on the wheel of my 4CV.

Enjoy the trip however fast you want to do it.

*********4CV Muster Entry form for Non-register Members Attached*********

The 4CV register has now published the program for the weekend together with some indicative prices for those wishing to piggyback onto the other activities going on over the weekend - remember it's free if you just want to rock up on the Saturday lunch (BYO or buy it there) meet at the Aviation museum (you just need to let us know for numbers), but to join in the other stuff you MUST pay in advance to the Registrar treasurer. Details available via PM

The Full Program courtesy of the 4CV register:

Registration for the muster (per car) $15
Friday 29th March - Arrival; Evening BYO BBQ @ Junee Motor Inn

Saturday 30th March - Temora Aviation Museum visit & 50th Anniversary for R8 & A110's - Museum entry Adult $14; Seniors $11 (>65yrs); Child $7

- Evening 4CV AGM and dinner Railway Station Restaurant - Adult $22.50; child $11.25

Sunday 31st March - Morning visit to Monte Cristo Historic Homestead - Adult $10; child $6

- Lunch Red Cow Hotel Junee - Adult $12.50; child $6

- Afternoon visit to Railway Roundhouse Museum $4 per person

- 4:30pm Swap Meet at Junee Motor Inn

- dinner (own arrangements)

Monday 1st April - 10am Morning tea & Licorice factory tour - $10 per person.

You can mix and match and attend only those events that you wish. The 4CV Register has an official entry form developed for Non-Register members as attached. If you are a member, please use the one in the Fourword

regards
Kevin

I hope you are getting your registrations in.
The time will come around very quickly.

***shameless bump to the top***

KB

Bump..

I request a traveling companion(s) (with own car) for the pilgrimage to Junee at Easter time. I will be taking my Floride which will cruise at 100KPH no trouble and should be 100% reliable , but a travel buddy would be advantageous to both parties in the event of the unforeseen. Seeking someone with similar vintage and aspirations.

My timetable will be flexible a day or three either side of the event, but I do plan an overnight stopover at my parent's place in Guyra on the way down or back and I am sure a spare bed can be arranged.

PM me if you are interested.

Last edited:
Graham,
The bunk in the cabin is looking promising for you. The family have decided to give it a miss, so I'll just be going down by myself. The cabin is booked from Friday night to Sun night, check out Monday.
Potentially I could meet you in say Bathurst or Blayney and cruise down for the last part of the journey. Even though it is 2hrs longer it is probably better than pounding down the Hume.

I would be travelling on the Friday, aiming to get there in the mid afternoon.
KB