R10 extractor design..

56 Fregate

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a design for extractors for street use with a standard sierra 1.4l?

I am after pipe sizes, primary and secondary length etc., I can do the rest.

It seems 4-2-1 is the go but I am open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance..

you need to read the thread where someone wanted some extractors for an R8 and the thread progressed into a design experiment for making some extractors for my 1397 (which still hasn't been done yet). In the end, I supplied my cam specs to Frans, and he used his spreadsheet to do the necessary calcs. Try searching for r8 extractors in the wanted section.

Hi,
That thread may say all there is to know. Graham Alexander Bell writes a good book and is worth reading for any wannabe car enthusiest. Real hard facts and information. I wish I had it lots of years ago.:approve:

However I might add this from my, possibly outdated knowlege. If you want a street set of extractors for a standard or lightly modified car for road use, it may be better to not listen too hard to people who are racing or obsessive about power. :nownow:

My suggestion is to go for the minimum sized pipes recommended and the longer lengths recommended. This will give good mid range torque and not restrict the top end noticably. Even a 4 into 1 will work well too. Same length as the primary+ secondary. May be easier to bend up with the smaller pipes and less collectors to make. :cool:

Might make a sweet street car which you do not have to flog to enjoy.:D

My :2cents:. Jaahn

Had a bit of a fiddle with some 32 O.D. pressure pipe and a heat gun to see what I could come up with. My local exhaust guy says if I make some samples he can bend the pipes for me therefore limiting The amount of welds I need.

I've decided on a 4 into 1 with 32mm pipes and 780 long primary (reckon I have them within 20mm of each other).

Let's hope the finished product is a little pretty-er.... Comments welcome.

Attachments

• 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 1,186
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 1,177
Last edited:
Nice, go for it. Are you going to buy bends and join them?

Frans

They're not mandrel bends just press bends but I doubt it will make much difference to my needs...

The exhaust guy bent them for me and they only needed a little tweeking from me to make them fit properly.

I made some 10mm header plates from the web of an RSJ, bored the 32mm holes with a garden variety 'Sutton' hole saw in a press drill using plenty of oil for lubrication and it worked a treat.

The collector cone is a little big and will require some surgery to make it fit before I start welding.

To be continued....

Attachments

• 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,141
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,112
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 1,157
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 391
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,176
Last edited:
You know if you get bored when you finish those off you can make me a set and I'm sure a few others might be asking as well, then if you really get bored I know of this red Floride that needs finishing as the owner is away working and needs it done.

You know if you get bored when you finish those off you can make me a set and I'm sure a few others might be asking as well, then if you really get bored I know of this red Floride that needs finishing as the owner is away working and needs it done.

I was going to suggest series production too! At the least is there some way to record some exact dimensions and shapes somehow?

Nice work, speaking as a complete amateur in exhausts.

You both should know at this point that I don't come cheap.....:approve:

p.s. JW I have actually recorded the sizes and shapes with my plastic prototype and may be persuaded to lend it out.

Last edited:
That looks really good. It will be better than you think and you will have some extra hp without extra costs.

You got this far so have you thought about the twin sidedraught inlet manifold based on exactly the same principle?

Frans

You both should know at this point that I don't come cheap..... :joker:

p.s. JW I have actually recorded the sizes and shapes with my plastic prototype and may be persuaded to lend it out.

That's great. I don't want them myself, but it looks so good others might well.

Thanks, and thanks for sharing the information. I reckon they look really good.

Hi Frans,

Sidedraughts aren't something I have as yet considered but if I saw some going for the right price I would be tempted..

As much as these will work a lot better than the cast iron exhaust system. The lengths are a considerable bit different, I would say at least 200mm, compared to your 20mm on the plastic ones. Pity you are not able to cut and join, to get them more equal.

I also think that #1 will inter fear with the suspension arm.

Good work !!

Hi:):),
That's great work 59 Floride. We checked the length by blowing a note down them :rolleyes: but my friend could play the trumpet. Good to see someone av'n a go.:approve::approve: Brings back memories of the GOOD OLD DAYS.:cool:

This is surley blasfamous :clown: but have you considered twin SUs for a reasonable alternative. I am sure there are thousands out there on dead BMC rubbish just waiting to be reused. Plenty of scope to tinker also :cool: THey will run OK with not much tuning and even better if you get them spot on.

:cheers:Jaahn

Graham, Frans has suggested the side draught and I was wondering last year when you drove my floride, was there that much difference between our two florides as I didn't drive yours to compare. They have the same motor a 1397 but you have stock inlet and outlet where mine had the extractors and side draught.
And before you say it, yes I know yours looks shit better at the moment.

Graham, Frans has suggested the side draught and I was wondering last year when you drove my floride, was there that much difference between our two florides as I didn't drive yours to compare. They have the same motor a 1397 but you have stock inlet and outlet where mine had the extractors and side draught.
And before you say it, yes I know yours looks shit better at the moment.

Even though I only drove your car around the block it did seem smoother and reved out nicer, so there is a noticable difference between the two.

P.S. I'd be more than happy to swap a new set of extractors for a set of side draughts....eh buddy?
click

Last edited:
As much as these will work a lot better than the cast iron exhaust system. The lengths are a considerable bit different, I would say at least 200mm, compared to your 20mm on the plastic ones. Pity you are not able to cut and join, to get them more equal.

I also think that #1 will inter fear with the suspension arm.

Ray,

I measured each pipe individually with a piece of rubber hose and the lengths are as follows..

1. 860
2. 880
3. 800
4. 780

So not perfectly tuned but will have to do as I am trying to work within my limited skill level..metal fab isn't exactly my forte. I may be able to fiddle with 2 and 4 to even them out a bit.

Last edited: