XM Series 2 DO break strut mounts

UFO

Citroën Tragic
VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Well, I'm lucky and unlucky.

Today doing some underbonnet work on the XM, to save my back, I had the front of the car on stands so it wouldn't sink lower as pressure dropped (no, I was not under the car, only working under the bonnet).

Anyway, nearing the end of the work, I happened to check in the front right wheel arch, just to see how things were. Well surprise surprise...

I noticed the plastic expandable strut boot was not sitting in its collar at the top of the strut. I tried to push it back up to where it goes and thought it odd that it wouldn't attach. I checked the left side and it was easy to get to the collar area. Oh thit! thought I. I know what has happened.

Yes, the rubber mount holding the strut top to the metal mounting collar had failed. It may have been like this for a while, and I think the photos below will indicate that I was sort of lucky I am running CX front spheres (only at 40bar) and these were enough to stop the strut bashing through the bonnet.

I think the start of the probs came early last year when the FR sphere went weird. I would get like a slow rebound sort of effect after speed bumps in carparks or more than moderate bumps in the road. The diaphragm had allowed LHM into the gas side so in effect instead of a dead sphere, I had LHM against LHM/Nitrogen mix. This must have put strain on the mount and also contributed to the rapid demise of the lower ball joint on that side. (took a few weeks to work out why the susp was weird but of course I had to keep driving).

I think the rest of the major damage came about August last year when we had a club run to some caves etc behind Lithgow and the road was tortuous on the XM. Those in a DS had a much smoother run. After this drive I did notice a small chunk of rubber near the radiator header tank but thought little of it.

Anyway, today's investigation has proven the point. The car is off the road till I source a new strut and fit it. Probably next weekend. I think in the next few weeks I may even do the right one, just to be sure.

Thank goodness the D Spec is still on normal rego. It will get a good run this week.

See the pics. I have put text on them to explain.

BTW - BruceH and others, I am now eating small portions of my hat. Sorry I did not believe previous stories re a S2 XM in Brissie.

I would suggest that all XM owners and maybe even Xantia owners check the struts ASAP.

http://www.citroencarclub.org.au/xmstrut/strut%20lower.jpg

http://www.citroencarclub.org.au/xmstrut/sphere%20rub.jpg

http://www.citroencarclub.org.au/xmstrut/strut%20top.jpg

http://www.citroencarclub.org.au/xmstrut/left%20strut.jpg

All I can say is that I am so glad I found it in the safety of my driveway and not at 100 km/h on some highway. Could have been really nasty.:whistle:

XM Exclusive Estate

High Craig,

I'm new to this forum. Citroen experience is as a BX TZD owner/driver for the past 5 years. Did much of my own maintenence and now, in an act of lunacy or inspiration (never bid on Ebay after a few beers) I've an XM Exclusive auto Estate fitted with the V6 3 litre engine sitting in my yard. Car's great in parts, but it's a Citroen which means not everything works all of the time and some of it doesn't work at all. Ok, the starter motor doesn't work when the engine is hot, the cooling fans didn't work at all (deadly combination), the cruise control doesn't work and the electrically heated front seats don't heat up. (this is Scotland, gets cold in the Winter). Odd little things don't work, like the tell tale panel on the dashboard having some elements not lighting up, and the clock not illuminating. ABS warning light occasionally comes on. On investigation, I found that the cooling fan had been hot wired through an on/off switch shoved up alongside the fuse box. A wire had pulled out, so no cooling. Temporary fix was to push the wire back, but I'd like to do the job properly; do you know where the thermostatic switch for the fans is fitted on the engine block? Should both fans come on together or should they come on one at a time as needed? There's possibly at least one relay to operate them, do you know where they are located? You've got a V6 Exclusive listed as your car, so unless Auzzie spec was different than here, you've pretty much got what I've got. Not many registered in the UK, I've been told that there are only 28 with the same spec as mine registered here.

Enough questions for a first time member........... If you can help with a reply, could you post it on the board and email it to me as well? Reason I ask is that I'm not used to this site, and might find it hard to find your reply. My email address is combwork@aol.com Cheers mate,

Jim. (username Combwork)

combwork said:
If you can help with a reply, could you post it on the board and email it to me as well? Reason I ask is that I'm not used to this site, and might find it hard to find your reply. My email address is combwork(at)aol.com Cheers mate,

Jim. (username Combwork)

Hoot Mon, Welcome Jim to :afplak:

So, how did you find aussiefrogs? we seem to have a few new members from Scotland over the last few weeks?? I notice you have posted on the XM Club site it's a little slow to get off the ground but should be a great resource in time.

Congrats on your new purchase, would have been my choice if they had been available here, we only got the V6 sedan. I've only seen one Estate in Oz and it was a diesel. Grab the CD offered on the XM Club site, sounds like it covers just about everything with full wiring diagrams for all models.

Cheers :cheers:
Chris

PS. You should get an automated email response to any replies to this thread with a link back to the site ;)

Craig

My friend and mechanic who gives me a hand with the harder jobs on the 16 valve has actually had an XM towed into his workshop due to that exact problem happening whilst he was driving. Scary stuff! The bonnet was not in the best conditon where the sqere hit thats for sure! Ill see if i can get a photo of the bonnet for you and show you the results of the impact!

Cheers

Frog on guys!

:citroen:

Dear Jim,

XMs are a fantastic car and should bring you years of driving pleasure. The best place to find answers to XM issues is on the site http://groups.yahoo.com/group/XM-L/. Join this, check the archive and ask questions. The depth of knowledge on XMs is extraordinary.

Happy tinkering and driving,

Peter
92 V6