Test Article in the Melbourne Age - FYI

Nil Time

Fellow Frogger
Citroen has fresh approach
Gordon Lomas
28may05

There is a lot of fuss around the Citroen brand these days.

And lot of the commotion involves the sassy C4, pictured, which Citroen considers pivotal to continuing its significant sales growth in recent seasons.
So with much ado the expectations for the C4 are programmed way north of above average.

Positioned above the cute entry level C3 and below the C5, this French newcomer conveys a fresh design approach.

There are crisp, contemporary lines, the C4 taking a striking and stylish form.

Inside there are innovations with a multi-function steering wheel which takes the operation of the trip computer, sound system, cruise control etc to another level.

There is the centrally-mounted digital speedo and instrument read-out, quality finish and a warm cabin with savvy architecture.

The instrument cluster, to some may seem an innovation, although Toyota would argue that they broke the mould in this funky design when the Echo landed here in October, 1999.

What is without question with the C4 is the high levels of standard equipment.

Included across the model variants are six airbags, anti-locking ABS brakes, Electronic Brake Force Distribution, remote locking, cruise control and the tricky multi-function controls on the tiller.

So internally the C4 comes up smelling like roses, and on that subject the cabin aroma can be changed to suit individual tastes with in-built air fresheners which can waft through the vents with a variety of fragrances to choose from.

These C4s are fun and functional inside with interior dimensions similar to a Mazda3, although the Citroen is slightly wider and higher.

More direct rivals include the 307, from Citroen's PSA stablemate Peugeot, the Renault Megane and Volkswagen Golf.

It cuts a smart figure on the road where, as one comes to expect from the marque, the ride quality is sumptuous.

Perhaps the 2-litre engine is a little undercooked, needing a bit more squirt, although it is armed with a healthy dollop of torque.

Mated to a four-speed automatic box with sequential function the C4 runs strongly with the crowd on the highway but just needs a little bit more urge down low which is particularly evident loaded up with a couple of passengers and some luggage.

It handles diligently and is dynamically as competent as anything else in its class.

This replacement for the Xsara, which continues to kick backsides in the World Rally Championship, is loaded with safety gear and has a 5-star crash-test rating as well as one of the highest ratings in terms of being pedestrian-friendly.

At the bowser the C4 consumed about just over 10litres/100km.

The contentious point however is that hoary old chestnut — price.

As tested this automatic C4 was $33,990.

If you wish you can blow out the sticker price with options that include metallic paint ($700), premium leather pack with driver's electric seat, two-position memory and heating ($3500) and full length glass sunroof ($1500).

The C4 is chic and plugs an important hole in the Citroen range

C4 Vts

Hmm,

Drove a VTS yesterday and ended up ordering one! Should get mine in 10 days. :banana:

Bad luck to VW, went to their dealer yesterday, with the intent of ordering a Sportsline 2.0 FSI. Got the attitude of, we have plenty of enquiries. By the way, your Passat is worth Jack, as we dropped the price of the Passat by 15K and announced a new model :mad: . Can't do anything on price Mr Passat owner :mad: :mad:.

OK, guess what Mr Inchcape! Voted with my feet and my wallet, and ended up with a car that has everything I need and then some - goes nicely too!

All the best.

Nil Time said:
Citroen has fresh approach
Gordon Lomas
28may05

There is a lot of fuss around the Citroen brand these days.

And lot of the commotion involves the sassy C4, pictured, which Citroen considers pivotal to continuing its significant sales growth in recent seasons.
So with much ado the expectations for the C4 are programmed way north of above average.

Positioned above the cute entry level C3 and below the C5, this French newcomer conveys a fresh design approach.

There are crisp, contemporary lines, the C4 taking a striking and stylish form.

Inside there are innovations with a multi-function steering wheel which takes the operation of the trip computer, sound system, cruise control etc to another level.

There is the centrally-mounted digital speedo and instrument read-out, quality finish and a warm cabin with savvy architecture.

The instrument cluster, to some may seem an innovation, although Toyota would argue that they broke the mould in this funky design when the Echo landed here in October, 1999.

What is without question with the C4 is the high levels of standard equipment.

Included across the model variants are six airbags, anti-locking ABS brakes, Electronic Brake Force Distribution, remote locking, cruise control and the tricky multi-function controls on the tiller.

So internally the C4 comes up smelling like roses, and on that subject the cabin aroma can be changed to suit individual tastes with in-built air fresheners which can waft through the vents with a variety of fragrances to choose from.

These C4s are fun and functional inside with interior dimensions similar to a Mazda3, although the Citroen is slightly wider and higher.

More direct rivals include the 307, from Citroen's PSA stablemate Peugeot, the Renault Megane and Volkswagen Golf.

It cuts a smart figure on the road where, as one comes to expect from the marque, the ride quality is sumptuous.

Perhaps the 2-litre engine is a little undercooked, needing a bit more squirt, although it is armed with a healthy dollop of torque.

Mated to a four-speed automatic box with sequential function the C4 runs strongly with the crowd on the highway but just needs a little bit more urge down low which is particularly evident loaded up with a couple of passengers and some luggage.

It handles diligently and is dynamically as competent as anything else in its class.

This replacement for the Xsara, which continues to kick backsides in the World Rally Championship, is loaded with safety gear and has a 5-star crash-test rating as well as one of the highest ratings in terms of being pedestrian-friendly.

At the bowser the C4 consumed about just over 10litres/100km.

The contentious point however is that hoary old chestnut — price.

As tested this automatic C4 was $33,990.

If you wish you can blow out the sticker price with options that include metallic paint ($700), premium leather pack with driver's electric seat, two-position memory and heating ($3500) and full length glass sunroof ($1500).

The C4 is chic and plugs an important hole in the Citroen range

Bumps,

Are you getting the 26k deal???
I test drove one on sat and ended up putting down a deposit :banana:

Bumps said:
Hmm,

Drove a VTS yesterday and ended up ordering one! Should get mine in 10 days. :banana:

Bad luck to VW, went to their dealer yesterday, with the intent of ordering a Sportsline 2.0 FSI. Got the attitude of, we have plenty of enquiries. By the way, your Passat is worth Jack, as we dropped the price of the Passat by 15K and announced a new model :mad: . Can't do anything on price Mr Passat owner :mad: :mad:.

OK, guess what Mr Inchcape! Voted with my feet and my wallet, and ended up with a car that has everything I need and then some - goes nicely too!

All the best.

And here's another test article - this time from the herald sun

Features to C4 yourself
04jun05

Once you've driven the Citroen C4, you could be excused for not wanting to get behind the wheel of any other small car.

It's not because you'll miss the super roomy feel, the leather interior, full-length sunroof or the CD stacker that's hiding in the armrest. And while it is a definitely a nice touch, especially on a cold winter's night, most people could give or take the seat warmers in our mild Australian climate.
No. The reason people could shy away from driving any other car after spending any length of time in the five-door Citroen C4 is because they have simply become too lazy.

In the Citroen C4 the headlights switch on automatically once darkness falls and windscreen wipers jump into action as soon as raindrops touch the glass.

The rear-view mirrors tilt to give drivers the optimum view when reversing.

When you get out of the car, the mirrors fold away to avoid being side-swiped on narrow city streets.

But perhaps the inclusion that threatens to strip any sense of responsibility from the driver is the warning system that beeps if you come too close to anything in front or behind.

When squeezing into a tight spot, the warning tones were a godsend.

But after only three days' driving I already found myself relying on those trusty beeps to tell me whether I was going to crash.

My sense of distance went out the window – a sure recipe for disaster once behind the wheel of another, less informative, vehicle.

But those more familiar with the electrics and accessories that buyers of premium small cars have come to expect will turn their attention to the car's on-road performance.

As a driver who learnt on a manual but driven automatic for the past 13 years, I found the option of driving the car in the part-manual mode fascinating.

It was good to be able to influence the car's power by changing gears manually without having the hassle of using the clutch like in full manual mode.

But when I wanted to return to completely automatic, I found the ride was not as smooth as I expected.

The speed rose quickly wihout any problem, but the journey back to zero invariably contained a jolt or two.

A unique touch of the Citroen, which should not be overlooked, is the steering wheel hub which stays fixed as the wheel turns around it.

While it was a bit disconcerting at first, I soon realised that it means all the buttons and controls mounted on the steering wheel hub stay in the same position for ease of reference. The Citroen C4 scores top marks for style, accessories and comfort but could do a little better in the performance stakes.

Low-down power from the 2.0-litre could do with some work, particularly if there is a load on board. That comes in the more powerful high-performance 2-litre engine in the sporty VTS model C4, but that is another story.

Fitting into the Citroen range between the C3 small car and the C5 saloon, the C4 also rates well for safety.

It has plenty of equipment, boasts a five-star crash-test rating and is particularly pedestrian friendly.

The C4 is competitive with the other cars in its market on fuel consumption with a combined cycle figure of 8.1L/100km.

The bottom line is always price. The C4 actually starts at $25,990 for the 1.6-litre coupe and hatch base models. However the model I tested costs $33,990 because it comes with a few options, which push up the price.

That includes metallic paint ($700), the leather pack with driver's electric seat, two-position memory and heating ($3500) plus the innovative and, dare I say must-have, full length glass sunroof ($1500).

Nonetheless the C4 represents the height of French flair and innovation when compared to its rivals in 2005.

The Daily Telegraph

Yeah, height of french flair.. until everything starts falling apart.

The black panels around the CD player are now falling apart on mine. :nownow:

If yours will have the same atrocious build quality as mine, you've made a horrible mistake.

The side panels between the doors are totally loose as well now. Is anything bolted on properly in this car??? :mad: :evil:

The new Golf's have 10x better build quality then the C4.

EDIT: Remembered something else as well... black panels under the steering wheel are also very loose. (the curved in ones)

Last edited:
ry205 said:
Bumps,

Are you getting the 26k deal???
I test drove one on sat and ended up putting down a deposit :banana:

He's getting the VTS (36k + orc + options), the VTR is the 26k deal.

By the way, which dealer are you purchasing the vehicle from?

I hope you have chosen continental cars ( www.citroencentre.com.au), top notch service and run by true citroen enthusiasts. :headbang:

Last edited:
Uga Boga said:

By the way, which dealer are you purchasing the vehicle from?

Top notch service and run by true citroen enthusiasts.

I'm curious, given how unhappy you are with your C4, to know what this dealer is doing to satisfy your complaints. In my experience the way a dealer responds to & resolves problems tends to shape the ownership experience, for at least the warranty period.

Cheers,

Barry.

Uga Boga said:
He's getting the VTS (36k + orc + options), the VTR is the 26k deal.

Sounds like ry205 is refering to the Xsara VTS run out deal that is on at the moment, rather than the C4 VTS.

Troy.

barryg said:
I'm curious, given how unhappy you are with your C4, to know what this dealer is doing to satisfy your complaints. In my experience the way a dealer responds to & resolves problems tends to shape the ownership experience, for at least the warranty period.

Cheers,

Barry.

Well, i'm going to book my first service with the dealer (whose been great) on the 10th of this month. I have created a list for him to go through, i will post a thread with the results. (I just don't know how they will fix some of those loose plastics... super glue??)

It's a bit off-topic, but nevertheless: I'm fascinated by the fact, that Citroen is gaining sales numbers in a country, where cheap and old fashion, but large and powerful sedans are still ubiquitous (reffering to Commodore and Falcon). I don't know any specific sales numbers in Australia, but I guess Citroens are still a rare sight in Australia. Here in Slovenia Citroën used to have its own assembly plant in the sixties and seventies and thus Citroën is among top selling brands, so having a C4 will make you nothing special here. Even a 2cv is so common, that few people will turn their heads. How is the situation in Australia. Which is the most common Citroën where you're at?

@Uga Boga: driving a Cit you have to have certain frailties on your mind. A good finish is a common weakness of many Citroën cars and us fanatics have learned to live with it. C4 is a newcomer and consequently probably has some finish problems, but I suppose it's not much different with any other car.

I drive a '80 Visa SuperE, a '90 AX 11TRS and a '97 Berlingo diesel.

Regards,
Martin, Slovenia

C4 Vts

I've ordered the car through McCarroll's. Since then I've heard great things about Continental cars. Hmm, hopefully Macs are as good and their new facilities may help.

26.5K deal?? Hopefully, I haven't left money on the table. :eek:

It's interesting the large variation in the motoring scribes opinion on the C4 VTS, for that matter on the whole range. Just as interesting is the difference between oversea's reviews and the one's appearing in Australia. eg June Wheels. I suppose the French have always engendered polarised opinions. The comment about 'big engined, meat pies and sausage roll's', mind set within Australian motoring scribes will always be around. Why is it every new Australian car is always compared to an oversea's model, aren't the local jobbies good enough?

I drive new falcon's, commodore's and camray's regulary in my job, they are all nice cars fulfilling the functions they were designed for.

Like with any car, getting a lemon is always on the cards, albeit lesser chance these days. I'm looking forward to picking up the VTS before the end of the month and having some motoring fun :D . May all the lemons be delivered to the negative motoring scribes. :cheers:

Hi All,

Noticed a lot of posts are missing from a 2 year period.

Just to give an update on the VTS, still going with nearly 170,000kms

Work done and parts replaced on the car:

On my second of brake pads, front and back
Replaced the front disc's at 150K
All engine mounts replaced at 150K (ticking noise while moving, thought it was the R CVT, which was replaced for no reason..none of the mechanics could work it out, so decided to change the mounts)
4 sets of tyres...current change at 160K, with Toyo Proxies (not ultra high performance, good honest, quite tyre at $190 per tyre fitted..bargain)
Upteen rear brake bulbs
Oil change every 5K, filter every 10K,
Brakes fluid changed regularly
Somehow lost the rear parcel shelf...doh!
The Auto cabin temp control is temperamental.. (its French)
Average fuel consumption is 8.4L/100, best was 6.4L/100 during a country run in SA.

Overall, its done me really well, it will be a shame to see it go next year.

Don't know if this is typical for a VTS, maybe I got a good'n.

Regards

Bumps

Just gone 60,000kms in my 2005 VTS.

Other than the regular servicing, I've had the following replaced due to general wear and tear:
- brake pads (front and rear) replaced once
- scuttle plate replaced once
- one set of new tyres (Michelin Pilot Sport 3)

The following was done under warranty:
- rear discs replaced (due to excessive groaning noise....weird!)
- rear view mirror replaced (due to sagging in hot weather)
- sliding arm rest replaced (due to sliding forward under braking)

The following items are causing problems at present:
- cruise control ("Speed Control System Faulty" error, likely due to failing brake switch...will be checked at next service)
- CD changer (searching for CDs that aren't there...unsure if it's a loose plug or failing equipment...will be checked at next service)

Citroen safety/quality recalls:
- front airbags (done)
- steering wheel control hub (done)
- tailgate wiring loom (being sorted at next service)

Almost a year on with 190,000kms

The VTS is up to 190K and it's going ok, quite surprising considering the reputation that French cars have. I'd say it is one of the best cars I've owned.

I need for it to last another year, which I reckon it will do easy.

The Toyo's are great in the dry and reasonable in the wet...P7's are way better and the original Mich's were the best.

I replaced the rear wheel bearings today, started getting some bearing noise about a year ago. A bit fiddly, but with help off the C4owners UK site, just had to be patience. The rear rt is a little harder to do than the lt. Just make sure you release the caliper first and it makes the removal of the rear rear brake frame much easier.

I bought the bearings in sydney from the guys located in thornleigh. Could have gotten then cheaper from the UK (with freight), but time was more important.

I'm having troubles with the Drivers side window, seems to have a bit of sag in it when it is closing and it gets caught up. I have to grab the window by the top and pull it back towards the rear...seems to be lose in the door???!&*^

I need to get the air conditioner look at, seems to have lost it's mojo...might need a regas, it seems to hiss before it settles down.

All in all 190K in a C4 seems to be going ok, I bought it back in 2005...

All the best guys until next time.

Bumps

Features to C4 yourself
04jun05

Once you've driven the Citroen C4, you could be excused for not wanting to get behind the wheel of any other small car.

It's not because you'll miss the super roomy feel, the leather interior, full-length sunroof or the CD stacker that's hiding in the armrest. And while it is a definitely a nice touch, especially on a cold winter's night, most people could give or take the seat warmers in our mild Australian climate.
No. The reason people could shy away from driving any other car after spending any length of time in the five-door Citroen C4 is because they have simply become too lazy.

In the Citroen C4 the headlights switch on automatically once darkness falls and windscreen wipers jump into action as soon as raindrops touch the glass.

The rear-view mirrors tilt to give drivers the optimum view when reversing.

When you get out of the car, the mirrors fold away to avoid being side-swiped on narrow city streets.

But perhaps the inclusion that threatens to strip any sense of responsibility from the driver is the warning system that beeps if you come too close to anything in front or behind.

When squeezing into a tight spot, the warning tones were a godsend.

But after only three days' driving I already found myself relying on those trusty beeps to tell me whether I was going to crash.

My sense of distance went out the window – a sure recipe for disaster once behind the wheel of another, less informative, vehicle.

But those more familiar with the electrics and accessories that buyers of premium small cars have come to expect will turn their attention to the car's on-road performance.

As a driver who learnt on a manual but driven automatic for the past 13 years, I found the option of driving the car in the part-manual mode fascinating.

It was good to be able to influence the car's power by changing gears manually without having the hassle of using the clutch like in full manual mode.

But when I wanted to return to completely automatic, I found the ride was not as smooth as I expected.

The speed rose quickly wihout any problem, but the journey back to zero invariably contained a jolt or two.

The Daily Telegraph

I own a 2001, yes 2001 C5 exclusive and it has all the above features apart from the front parking sensors.
I applaud the DT for at least calling the features and how cosseted one feels when driving a larger (or in this case the slightly smaller) Citroën.
Admitedly, this C5 car cost twice as much 11 years ago as the C4 of 2012, yet I note in todays paper in Hobart, (The Mockery, err, Muckery, ahh Mercury) a NEW C5 can be had with a petrol engine for $32,990 drive away. This must be the coil spring model.

C4 is a lovely car and I'm pleased to see NEW owners being attracted to the marque and the forum.
May your association be long and pleasant with both choices.