C4 Diesel engine/s for Oz

Yeah, you have to fit the cartridges - 2sec job. So no cartridge - no smell. There's a good review on the C4 HDi 110bhp (80kW) in February 2005 What Car? if you can get hold of one. Compares the car to the Golf, Focus and Skoda Octavia. I won't spoil the story by saying how it went - but overall was a good review of the car.

TroyO said:
From what I could see when I looked at the C4, the perfume diffusers have small replacable cartridges, so I would say yes. Just remove the cartridge and then you have no perfume.

Troy.

Hehe. 206 loan car, Troy?

Dear Phil,
I'm going to europe in two weeks of time and I'm leasing C4 1.6 diesel for some three months. As soon as pick up the car I'll get back to you with performance.

Regards,

Igor

Palmboy said:
Finally it is announced that the 1.6L HDi will be in Aussie C4's by late 2005. This engine has 80Kw/4000rpm and 240Nm/1750 rpm (with an overboost available to 260Nm).

Does anyone know how this engine performs in the C4? Perhaps someone overseas owns one and can tell me please. Or have any Aussies driven one while O/S ?

gavra said:
Dear Phil,
I'm going to europe in two weeks of time and I'm leasing C4 1.6 diesel for some three months. As soon as pick up the car I'll get back to you with performance.

Regards,

Igor

Palmboy said:
Finally it is announced that the 1.6L HDi will be in Aussie C4's by late 2005. This engine has 80Kw/4000rpm and 240Nm/1750 rpm (with an overboost available to 260Nm).

Does anyone know how this engine performs in the C4? Perhaps someone overseas owns one and can tell me please. Or have any Aussies driven one while O/S ?

Far out ....... 260Nm :eek: :eek: Out of a 1.6 :eek: :eek:

Anyone want to tow a bloody caravan with a 1.6 C4 :roflmao: :roflmao: Seriously, that's as much torque than a lot of the 4litre 6's used to punch out.

seeya,
Shane L.

gavra said:
Dear Phil,

Regards,

Igor

Palmboy said:

Thanks Igor,

That will be great to hear what you think of this engine. I am expecting it will be a reasonably strong performer as the torque is pretty good. Enjoy driving the car and looking forward to hearing your impression of both the engine and the C4 in general.

Many thanks
Phil.

The C4 is nothing special, i've had mine for 3 weeks now... The engine is quite weak (2.0L Hatchback) and the gearbox is a joke, often confusing itself.. just like the Xsara.. I really expected a better gearbox then the Xsara.

The pillar's on the front windscreen is crazy... driving on the putty road, i had absolutely no view of the other lane.

All in all, not worth 43k, i should've got a WRX.

The gearbox is a 4 speed piece of crap, they couldn't even manage to include a 5-speed like the Golf.

1,000kms done so far.

The C4 is basically only a cosmetic change to the Xsara, i've also found some issues with build quality.

Rattles whilst driving, loose parts in the interior, driver side door doesn't shut properly and requires a strong shove (was evident at the dealer). Loose seals etc...

Just some proof... so you know that i actually do own a C4... and have driven other quality cars, so i can draw a fair comparision...

c4proof.jpg

c4.jpg

My C4 was actually one of the first ones on the road, nearly 3 wks old now.

I'd give the C4 4/10... (Gearbox + engine really let's it down)

TroyO said:
Can you elaborate?

Troy.

It's very sad to here that only after 3 weeks you feel that you've made the wrong choice of car. I was worried about build quality of modern Citroens after test driving the C3 and C2. Poor fitting cabin and dash plastics and rattles galore. I had been assurred by my Citroen dealer that the C4 would be much better built, compared to the Xsara. I found the Xsara to be of a high quality compared to C3 and C2. I was thinking of buying a VTS C4, but the high purchase price has put an end to that idea! Good luck with your new C4 and I hope after a few more weeks you will settle into driving and enjoying its features.

Cheers Pete

Yeah parts of the interior is quite fancy (high quality), but some of it just seems to rattle and move.

I'll take a closer look and video/photo some of it.

The biggest let down on the hatchback is the gearbox.

If only they had put in a good 5-speed gearbox.

Uga Boga said:
I'd give the C4 4/10... (Gearbox + engine really let's it down)

I understand what you say about the autoboxes, given my experience driving automatic Pug 206's and 307's, but I am found the 2L engine (even in the 307, same engine) to be decent enough engine. It's the same donk as the 2L Xsara Auto. Perhaps the setup of the auto is not well matched to the engine.

Xsara VTS/ Pete said:
I had been assurred by my Citroen dealer that the C4 would be much better built, compared to the Xsara.

Maybe it seems to be case of improvements in some areas and not others. Looking at the C4 VTS at the motor show, the interior quality sure look better qualitywise than the Xsara. It shouldn't be be that hard to improve the interior quality over the Xsara. Exterior quality looked good.

Troy.

Uga Boga said:
Yeah parts of the interior is quite fancy (high quality), but some of it just seems to rattle and move.

I'll take a closer look and video/photo some of it.

The biggest let down on the hatchback is the gearbox.

If only they had put in a good 5-speed gearbox.
I've only ever driven 2 vehicles with this type of transmission. The Smart city car, and the Mercedes Sprinter van. I have to say, I'm not at all impressed with it. A full manual, or a full automatic, is good, or even a real semi-automatic, with a fluid drive would be a much better way to go. Trouble is you never see it on cars, only on older trucks & buses.
If I ever get round to owning a C4, it will be a MANUAL! john s

Exactly.

It's the same mule of a gearbox that's in the Xsara. You expect such a gearbox on a 19k car, but not on a 43k car.

So rough and the amount of times it confuses itself is unbelieveable.

Citroen should've done more then add a few gadgets and give the xsara a cosmetic change to create the C4, they should've really added a 5-speed gearbox... There is no way the C4 can even compare to the Golf.

An awful, awful gearbox and that's putting it lightly... :(

I've just been reading my spec sheet for the C4, and I guess you have the euro 4 exclusive? If you had gone for the euro 3, with a little less power, it's actually faster, and more economical, and, has a real gearbox! Shame that you're disapointed, as it's such a good looking car! john s

Uga Boga said:
Exactly.

It's the same mule of a gearbox that's in the Xsara. You expect such a gearbox on a 19k car, but not on a 43k car.

So rough and the amount of times it confuses itself is unbelieveable.

Citroen should've done more then add a few gadgets and give the xsara a cosmetic change to create the C4, they should've really added a 5-speed gearbox... There is no way the C4 can even compare to the Golf.

An awful, awful gearbox and that's putting it lightly... :(

I don't think PSA has any other auto's except for the 6 speed auto used in the 407 V6 (is that an Aisan Warner gearbox?). But yeah, it is time that they offered something like a 5 speed auto.

The C4 is not on the same platform as the Xsara, it uses a modified version of the 307 platform. Given what I have experienced with the 307, it's no improvement over the Xsara, but reviews I have read have indicated that the C4 is an improvement over the 307. Whether it exceeds the Xsara/306 I don't know.

Troy.

TroyO said:
The C4 is not on the same platform as the Xsara, it uses a modified version of the 307 platform.
Troy.
I may be wrong, but I've been led to believe that the gearbox in C4 is completely new also.

heh.

I drove a friends Golf Sportline 2.0 FSI with 6 SPEED AUTOMATIC. Engine far more responsive and well... huge difference with the gearbox to say the least.

The C4 gearbox feels the same as the Xsara's.

moosey said:
I may be wrong, but I've been led to believe that the gearbox in C4 is completely new also.

Uga Boga

I know this might be taken as a silly question but was the car test driven before you bought it?

I have driven the C4 and my opinion is that you get lots of car for your 25k or so....:tongue:
I think expectations might be too high here. I love the car. :2cents:

25k?

More like 43k, 2.0L exclusive model, leather pack etc..

Nope didn't test drive the car :rolleyes:

Don't really care about the money part, the car is different and i like it for that, however Citroen should really look at a 6-speed or at least 5-speed gearbox.

danielsydney said:
Uga Boga

I know this might be taken as a silly question but was the car test driven before you bought it?

I have driven the C4 and my opinion is that you get lots of car for your 25k or so....:tongue:
I think expectations might be too high here. I love the car. :2cents: