404 Overhaul
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 404 Overhaul

Fellow Frogger!

Default 404 Overhaul

I Feel like I have reached a mile stone with this one by spraying gloss paint and I'am pretty happy about it. Still a lot to do the gear box is at Peugeot Tech getting some TLC and I spent Sunday stripping the front end to fit all new bushes and paint. The balljoints put a a fight being nothing like the picture in my repair manual is there a tool and correct tension for re tightening the castle nut ? the other bushes hammered out with some heat applied will I have to get the new ones pressed in ?. I plan to fit as much back into the car before I start the next stage of body work I'am enjoying putting it back together .

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 404 Overhaul-img_0436.jpg   404 Overhaul-img_0437.jpg   404 Overhaul-img_0435.jpg  

The new bushes will press in a decent vice. Use a thick washer over the end of the inner tube to prevent damage . I applied some lanolin spray to bush and the bore. You need to "start" the bush squarely. Use the centre of the vice jaws, in line with the lead screw.
    They push in easily.

The ball joint tool is easily manufactured.
    Find a socket that is same OD as the screw in "cup". If it's a bit big reduce the diameter on the bench grinder
    Attack with an angle grinder and thin blade to do some sculpting and create some tangs to fit the the cut-outs.
    You get a few chances. If you make a mistake re-face the socket on the bench grinder and start again.
    I used a Bunning's socket.

The bottom ball joint lower cup should be tightened to 33lb/ft. Then staked to prevent movement. I undo the old one, after grinding out the staked sections, with a cold chisel.

I assume you mean the lower ball joint at the very bottom of the strut assembly.
    Last edited by robmac; 12th September 2012 at 10:07 PM.

Hi Marty,

If you would like a hand, I can come down Sunday and help you with the front end etc. Will also bring a genuie workshop manual with me that has all the spec's and exploded diagrams etc. Give me a call.

Cheers,

Dano

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for reply Altering a socket is a great tip, I found a local brake repair mob with a press who pushed the old bushes out a fitted the new ones in half an hour.

You are the best.

Thread Information